PDA

View Full Version : Cloning only 1 Partition

gum digger
19-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Hi
I am wondering if anyone knows how to clone only 1 partiton out of the 3 i have. c,d,e. I thought of using acronis try image home10

Bryan
19-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Acronis works very well. It's all you need.

Misty
19-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Acronis works very well. It's all you need.
Yes :thumbs:
Misty

gum digger
19-03-2007, 08:46 PM
No i mean how to do it in acronis?. I can backup selected partition but will i be able to recover my pc using backup. hw different is it from clonning?.

Misty
20-03-2007, 08:24 AM
Hi
I am wondering if anyone knows how to clone only 1 partiton out of the 3 i have. c,d,e. I thought of using acronis try image home10
I have version 9 (not 10 like you), however presuming the process is much the same.

When you open the main screen the first option is to "Backup", which is explained as "backup your files, folders or the entire hard disc". When you click on that you get the Backup Wizard. When you click next your choice is the default which is "the entire disc contents or individual partition". Clicking on next identifies the answer to your main query ie you see the individual discs and partitions and choose the partition you want - the C drive (or partition) is the default so you just click on the one(s) you want -- and click on the C drive should you want to deselect that.

You will probably not see a "clone" option. The term backup is used consistently, whether it is just one file or the contents of multiple discs and partitions. It took me quite a while to get my head around that. ;)
Misty :D

Misty
20-03-2007, 08:51 AM
Added comment to above -
I see in "Gadget Speak"
http://www.gadgetspeak.com/gadget/article.rhtm/130123/429655/Acronis_True_Image_10_Home_Backup.html
The writer says amongst other things

Tools are available to clone a disk; add a new disk; mount an image file archive with its own drive letter; validate a backup archive; and set up a schedule for carrying out regular backup procedures.
This seems to indicate that in Version 10 the word clone is used.
Misty :nerd:

RealBigDog
20-03-2007, 02:12 PM
I use drive image xml. You can image (clone) 1 or more partitions at a time easily, and restore or copy to another partition just as easily.

Using the Bart PE boot cd, you can also restore the operating system partition.

ronyville
03-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Hi guys, i just wanted to know what option to choose (clone or backup) if i wanted to save my C: drive and all the windows settings and applications settings so that i can restore my pc to its current state if it crashes or something else happens.

cheers
ron

zqwerty
03-04-2007, 07:23 PM
http://xxclone.com/

Sweep
03-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Hi guys, i just wanted to know what option to choose (clone or backup) if i wanted to save my C: drive and all the windows settings and applications settings so that i can restore my pc to its current state if it crashes or something else happens.

cheers
ron

A clone or image is different to backup or copy.
I use two 200 Gig Seagate SATA II hard drives.
I use Ghost to image, clone one identical drive to the other drive. It matters not how many partititions you have on the drive you boot from. The second drive is an image as opposed to copy or backup.

So one physical drive is redundant except if I need to get running assuming the first boot drive dies for some reason. I store the second drive elsewhere.

You can use NTBACKUP or Nero or other software to copy files and/or folders to CDs, DVDs or other hard drives.

I think the main difference is that you will need to install at least an operating system, drivers plus your application for backup before you can get back your favourites, documents, music, cookies, emails and etc. Then you may need to take ownership as well.

With an image I can remove dead hard drive and replace with other hard drive.

Copies to CD or DVD of your important files will help too.

ronyville
03-04-2007, 09:25 PM
I think the main difference is that you will need to install at least an operating system, drivers plus your application for backup before you can get back your favourites, documents, music, cookies, emails and etc. Then you may need to take ownership as well.

With an image I can remove dead hard drive and replace with other hard drive.

Copies to CD or DVD of your important files will help too.

Looks like m gona have to buy another harddisk to clone my current one. :(
I got Acronis and i just backed up my whole C: to another partition.... so this means that if my current windows crashes than m gona have to install os and all the programs and than restore my settings and other stuff from the backup.. M i saying it right??