PDA

View Full Version : What's A Good Size For Paging Area?

SurferJoe46
19-03-2007, 05:31 PM
I understand that Windows has a dynamic way of figgering out how big to make the paging area on your harddrive...but is there a thumbnail theory version that can set aside just the right amount?

I hear that you should have 1.5 times the RAM size...is that about right?

chiefnz
19-03-2007, 05:55 PM
There's no hard and fast rule really. If you have enough RAM you could get away without using a page file at all... mind you I have seen in some cases Windows kicking up a stink about this.

Personally, I use 1GB as my page file size. I did have it set to 512MB but with the sizes of games nowadays I found that 1GB was a bit of a sweet spot in terms of page file size.

Play around a bit you may or may not see the difference with using varying sizes... it does depend on what you're doing with your PC etc.

The only thing I would concretely say is that don't let Windows Manage your swap file... it can get a bit messy when doing intense gaming but also you don't exactly want a swap file that is 4GB in size for no apparent reason other than Windows being stupis about it.

Cheers

chiefnz

tweak'e
19-03-2007, 08:03 PM
http://faqf1.net.nz/index.php?title=Virtual_Memory

mikebartnz
20-03-2007, 12:55 AM
I understand that Windows has a dynamic way of figgering out how big to make the paging area on your harddrive...but is there a thumbnail theory version that can set aside just the right amount?

I hear that you should have 1.5 times the RAM size...is that about right?
I use 1gig with 512mb being permanent(W2k) on a different physical drive from Windows.. With Vista it may require more depending on ram size.
I have never understood the theory of having 1.5 times ram size as the more ram you have the less you need a swap file. eg If you had 4gig of ram that would mean 6gig of swap file when you probably only need 512mb with Vista.

SurferJoe46
20-03-2007, 05:37 AM
Thanks all