PDA

View Full Version : Re: Dial Up Problem

Lurking
19-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Daughter gave her Mum an IBM E74 colour monitor, for her PC General P1 machine.

The connection is into a different port compared to the General 3 pin plug in.

Since this was done while we were on holiday, there seems to be a problem with internal modem.

The Zoltrix V.34 fax modem, phone line dials out okay, but the line in to the internet dial-up phase states:

"The Modem failed to respond. Make sure it is properly connected and turned on. If it is an internal modem or is connected, verify that the interupt for the port is properly set"

How do we know what Ports are being used by Monitor and Modem.

Thanks for any help.

Lurking.

Ps. The phone solution was gleaned from the PF1 2002 archives, so one part has been solved.

lurks.

Speedy Gonzales
19-03-2007, 03:20 PM
The connection is into a different port compared to the General 3 pin plug in.

?? What port are u talking about?? I take it the modem is plugged into a PCI slot? If its internal?

And the general 3 pin plug as in what? A power point u mean? Whats a port have to do with a power point?

How do we know what Ports are being used by Monitor and Modem.

What monitor? a monitor doesnt use a port. If u have XP go to control panel / phone and modem options / modems tab. It shows the COM port here.

And if u want to test the modem, click on properties (under modems tab), and diagnostics.

Sounds like its conflicting with something.

Go to device manager / the modem entry. Resources tab. Whats it say down the bottom of this tab?

And go to device manager. Is anything show a ! or X or something?

Lurking
19-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Speedy, thanks for quick response.

The General is 10 years old, has a 3 pin power out source(115/230v~2/1A) from the back of the CPU to monitor and the 12pin (1bent, prov for 14) input to CPU.

The IBM has 3 pin power plug to wall socket and 14 pin input cable.

Yes modem is internal and for the best part of 10 years has worked perfectly, both fax/phone/internet, default is set to Com2. Far more than can be said for the OS system.

Win98SE is the system and it shows No Conflict in Device Manager.

I keep telling wifey to use her lappy for the internet, but she doesn't like taking it out of the case, (windows XP Pro too) doesn't impress me much, compared to 98se.

Should get daughter to fix the General, seeing it was her who put the 17inch screen on that old machine.

Regards,

Lurks.

pctek
19-03-2007, 05:29 PM
[QUOTE=Lurking;535090]

The General is 10 years old, has a 3 pin power out source(115/230v~2/1A) from the back of the CPU to monitor and the 12pin (1bent, prov for 14) input to CPU.

The IBM has 3 pin power plug to wa

Lurking
19-03-2007, 05:51 PM
pctek, wall. Were you also cut off, Xtra has been bombing me out today!.

Lurks,

Billy T
19-03-2007, 06:46 PM
The General is 10 years old, has a 3 pin power out source(115/230v~2/1A) from the back of the CPU to monitor and the 12pin (1bent, prov for 14) input to CPU. The IBM has 3 pin power plug to wall socket and 14 pin input cable.

Power from computer to (old) monitor is an IEC socket on the computer and shrouded IEC plug on the monitor, but as you say, the IBM has a standard 3-pin plug.

The monitor will use exactly the same video socket as the previous monitor, but I don't like the sound of 1 bent pin. However, if the monitor is going OK, the missing pin was probably redundant, however it may have killed or be killing a voltage rail from the power supply, causing your modem to stop talking to you.

I suggest that you get a pair of long nosed pliers (or strong tweezers, those scissor-action type the fluffy ones use to pluck their erebrows etc will do) and gently straighten the bent pin. If the monitor is working OK without it , it won't matter if you accidentally break it off, but try not to.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

pctek
19-03-2007, 07:39 PM
<scream> What happened to that.

Ok, the PC has a power in and a power out.,
(Its not your CPU - thats the main chip inside your PC).
You dont have to plug the monitor into power via this stupid arrangement on the PC.
Just plug it into the wall as you would anything else.

Do what Speedy said - check Diagnostics.
Control Panel, choose Modem icon, click on the Com Port its assigned to and then Diagnostics. It will query them modem and if all is well a bunch of mysterious looking stuff appears in the window below.

Its a pretty good indication of if its ok or not.

Lurking
20-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Thanks guys.

Same old problem.

Communicating with modem. This may take a few mins.

Usual window: Open Com
Couldn't open port.

Make sure modem is inserted.

Will get son-in-law to take the back off and see if the modem has been dislodged.

Will even try putting the old ProVista back on (the bent pin cable) to see if that makes any difference.

Regards,

Lurks.

pctek
20-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Communicating with modem. This may take a few mins.

Usual window: Open Com
Couldn't open port.

Make sure modem is inserted.

Its driver is stuffed.
or
Modem itself is stuffed.

drcspy
20-03-2007, 08:21 PM
if the owner was away on holiday and left the pc modem plugged into the phone line it's quite possible a powersurge has killed the modem.......this can happen anytime holiday or not........

Lurking
21-03-2007, 05:05 PM
drcspy, thanks hadn't thought of that one.

As mentioned in the first post, the phone out connection works okay.

Will download a Generic Modem driver through this machine and try that.

Regards,

Lurks.

Lurking
24-03-2007, 02:10 PM
Hi folks, chatting to you from the problem pc.

Don't ask what's happened, have done zilch to it, it's just come back on it's own.

The only thing was the screen came up with those physco flashing colors, meaning the on/off switch had to be used. Scanreg and it rebooted in Safe Mode, adj. screen settings and restarted and here we are.

How long is anyone's guess.

Keeps asking for that "Adobe Flash Player" to be downloaded, which was uninstalled in an earlier post suggestion.

Thought you would like to know outcome!.

Lurks.

PedalSlammer
24-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Hey Lurking,
Is your modem a V90 or V92? The ISPs does not supports modems lower than the specs I've given.
Remember, if you phone up to any ISP with your Win98/Win 9X. They are no longer supported, just remember that OK? Use Win2000 or XP if you needs lots of support and not very sure about computers.

Erayd
25-03-2007, 03:22 AM
Is your modem a V90 or V92? The ISPs does not supports modems lower than the specs I've given.Rubbish.

Lurking
25-03-2007, 01:17 PM
PedalSlammer, problem has solved itself. No help from me.

Model is given on opening post.

Lurks.

PedalSlammer
25-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Rubbish.That was what my tutor said. :confused: She worked as an Xtra help desk before that.

pctek
28-03-2007, 04:04 PM
That was what my tutor said. :confused: She worked as an Xtra help desk before that.

That explains a lot. Xtra don't hire technicians, they hire call centre monkeys. Who can follow written sheets of paper but have no idea how to troubleshoot anything.