PDA

View Full Version : NOD32 problems

taylrbrght
19-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Hi, I just recently loaded NOD32 onto my computer about a week ago. I'm pretty sure it was last Saturday. Since then, upon starting my computer, I have only been able to access NOD32 when I start my computer. I can get to Control Panel and have tried many times to either unisntall the program or to do a System Restore to go back to an earlier date, but my computer usually freezes or automatically shuts down before I can commit to anything.

I'm only 17, but I have a pretty good knowledge of computers, and I helped my Dad install the same program on his computer. His computer is running smoothly with no problems, while my computer continues to freeze or shut down. We use the same operating system, so I'm wondering how to get rid of NOD32 for good. My last resort will be to completely restore Windows, but I have no desire at all to do this.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Taylor :]]

pctek
19-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Hi, I just recently loaded NOD32 onto my computer about a week ago.

I have only been able to access NOD32 when I start my computer. ]

Er............how would you access it with your PC off??

What are you saying? You think NOD32 is causing the freezes? You're positive NOD32 is causing it?

Have you done a spyware scan? You have Spybot, AdAware, hijackthis and they have come up clean?

Have you tried anything in Safe Mode?

Are you getting any specific errors or just locking up?

taylrbrght
19-03-2007, 03:13 PM
What I meant is that when I log onto my account, the only program that will work is NOD32.

I'm pretty positive that NOD32 is causing it. My computer was not like this before I installed the program.

Uh, when I loaded NOD32, I got rid of all my other antivirus software because it said that having conflicting systems could mess up the computer or something. I got rid of my Norton and AdAware.

Safe Mode? How would I access that?

And I keep getting errors about a "Generic Win32" application or something. Right before my computer shuts down, it will say an error code, and then give a countdown to when the system will shut down.

Misty
19-03-2007, 03:25 PM
Uh, when I loaded NOD32, I got rid of all my other antivirus software because it said that having conflicting systems could mess up the computer or something. I got rid of my Norton and AdAware.

You did right in getting rid of Norton, however you can run Ad-aware safely with Nod32 :)

Safe Mode? How would I access that?
By hitting F8 repeatedly when booting up
Misty :nerd:

taylrbrght
19-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks Misty. :]]
So by running it in Safe Mode, how can I get rid of NOD32?

drcspy
19-03-2007, 03:38 PM
ho ho ho i wonder

Right before my computer shuts down, it will say an error code, and then give a countdown to when the system will shut down.

shades of blaster etc........have you a firewall enabled at all cause if not it soun'ds possible you've gotten a nasty........get into safe mode (tap F8 repeatdly from first power up) and then try running nod32 to scan the system......also you could then run msconfig to temporarily disable nod32 then see if you can get back to 'normal' windoze.......

taylrbrght
19-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Hmm, I just want to get rid of NOD32. I don't really want to run it, but if I can have it on my computer and be normal, then that is fine.

I'll try all your suggestions.

Murray P
19-03-2007, 03:46 PM
How did you uninstall Nortons? It's notoriously sticky and can cause ongoing trouble. There is a Symantic/Nortons clean-up tool available from the Nortons website.

Just curious, why would you throw out a programme you have just, presumably, paid for?

You say it works well on your dad's machine with identical software, do you run exactly the same programmes, have exactly the same Windows updates installed and have exactly the same operating system setup on identical hardware?

Those error messages are an important clue as to what is going on. Run the PC several times and take down the exact details and post them here, being aware that each error message may have differences that can help narrow down the problem.

When you boot up in safe mode (F8 just after boot when the windows progress bar is counting up), check out the Event Logs in Cotrol Panel > Computer Management > Event Log (look at both system and applications logs). What does it say?

BTW, congratulations in acquiring NOD32, it is an excellent antivirus programme.

Murray P
19-03-2007, 04:06 PM
While you're in Safe Mode, check out the startup items and running processes for anything strange, especially possible malware and Nortons/Symantic still being present.

Misty
19-03-2007, 04:13 PM
BTW, congratulations in acquiring NOD32, it is an excellent antivirus programme.
I thoroughly agree !
Misty :thumbs:

pctek
19-03-2007, 05:25 PM
I'm pretty positive that NOD32 is causing it.
I got rid of my Norton and AdAware.

I doubt it.

Put Adaware back and add Spybot and Hijackthis as well. And do an immediate scan with all 3.

NOD32 is the best AV there is.

Nortons is a bloated pig that never uninstalls properly.
I'd go through the files manually and also through the registry searching for all References to Symantec.

Then see what happens after you have done all of that.
If you aren't confident, take it to a tech.

Misty
19-03-2007, 05:49 PM
I doubt it.

Put Adaware back and add Spybot and Hijackthis as well. And do an immediate scan with all 3.

http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html
Misty :nerd:

Ripdog
19-03-2007, 08:07 PM
It sounds like blaster to me.

I got that worm a while ago, fixed it with these instructions.

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2003-081113-0229-99&tabid=3