PDA

View Full Version : dvd drive not working

jerrybali
18-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Does anyone know any simple reasons why my DVD drive on my laptop suddenly wont recognise or play a CD. Trying to download a CD to my Itunes but just wont recognise it. The drive still works with DVD movies though. Thanks jerrybali

georgeks
19-03-2007, 01:53 AM
Did you change any drive letter(s), installed any cd burning/imaging apps?

jerrybali
19-03-2007, 03:22 PM
no, no changes to drive lettering and havent installed any new programs.

Sherman
19-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Have you tried playing the CD in another program?
What about different CD's?
The CD in question may have DRM on it which does not allow you to play/rip them to itunes. Some CD's are only windows media player compatible and others won't play/rip on either. (eg they use their own player).

jerrybali
19-03-2007, 11:08 PM
No its not just Itunes, the drive wont recognise any cd (I tried ones it certainly did before), but does play dvds ok. Strange......

Sherman
19-03-2007, 11:24 PM
It is indeed strange.
Does the drive make any strange noises/suspicious behavior when you try to play a CD. Or does just not do anything?
What about data CD's, can it read those? Game CD's?
Or will it flat out refuse to play anything that has a compact disc icon on it's label.....

lotse
19-03-2007, 11:26 PM
I used to have an Acer Laptop, which after a few months of use refused to read CD's, but still read DVD's. It used a dual CD/dvd drive.

I asked around, and most thought it was the laser that read the CD's was broken. (There are two lasers, one reads dvd's and one reads cd's).

Relacement combo drives are expensive and not guarenteed to last any longer than the original.

Eventually afer 18 months the whole laptop failed on me - thats even with sending it back for repair under warrenty...:annoyed:

The moral of my story is, don't buy Acer, and I believe the quality of components of all laptops has been forced down due to price cutting by the cheaper end of the market sellers - read Dell, Acer etc

Sorry for the rant, the situation still annoys me.

radium
20-03-2007, 12:02 AM
I have known a few combo drives that have failed at either readings CDs or DVDs.
You may have to replace the drive.

You could try uninstalling the driver and letting it reinstall it on the next boot. It's a long shot thou.

pcuser42
20-03-2007, 09:44 AM
Edit: Noticed DVDs still worked.

jerrybali
20-03-2007, 11:20 PM
Yes its all very annoying indeed. Drive doesnt really fire up with a cd. Yuo can usaually hear it really whirling around but it just doesnt get up and going. Tried different types of cds but as I said fine with Dvds. Out of warranty i think so no doubt it will be cheaper to get a new drive, thats sods law which normally applies to me and computers!!! Thanks everyone for your comment /advice cheers jerrybali