PDA

View Full Version : Bandwidth monitoring and controlling in home network

Ozer
18-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Can anyone recommend a free program or method for controlling bandwidth and monitoring internet usage for various computers in a home network?

My PC has two network cards, one connected to the ADSL router and the other to a switch. Four other PCs are connected to the switch and share my internet connection. I would like to be able to set the download/upload bandwidth for each of the four other PCs, and also have a daily record of the amount of data downloaded/uploaded by each. I would also like to be able to reduce the bandwidth allowed to a user once a certain download quota is reached.

I'm aware that Softperfect Bandwidth Manager and Bandwidth Controller do this sort of thing, but I'm looking for something free.

Speedy Gonzales
18-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Disconnect the rest of them, or buy a ISP.

somebody
18-03-2007, 08:19 PM
In that case you will almost definetely need some sort of heavily customised Linux PC running as a router. It won't be simple to set up.

Greven
18-03-2007, 09:41 PM
I think some linksys routers can do that, but it is done by IP address so the computers will have to have their IP manually set.

The_End_Of_Reality
19-03-2007, 06:44 AM
I have a Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT firmware and I can set the max rate of each port to 256k, 152k, 1M etc etc, but it does not count the traffic and can not. As somebody said above, you will probably need a Linux box to do that, I am sure that it can be done, but it will be a fair amount of work, especially if you don't know anything about Linux

Chilling_Silence
19-03-2007, 09:32 AM
I know you could do that with a linux box, might needa run squid transparently... dunno

NetLimiter might do the trick?

Ozer
19-03-2007, 11:01 PM
Thanks for those replies.
Can anyone point to some more detailed information on setting up a 'Linux box' for this purpose?

beeswax34
19-03-2007, 11:09 PM
Hi. I did some research on Google and found these routers that could suit your needs especially the first one I think.

http://www.provantage.com/zyxel-91-003-149002~7ZYXE03W.htm

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=A0723741