PDA

View Full Version : Error code 0x800700c1....

Trevornchris
18-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Obviously I'm on a different computer, but all hell seems to have happened on my main NEC PC. Yesterday I got a screen full of gobligook (which I took a photo of) but along the lines "from file record segment 37662. Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, ''') from file record segment 41187. File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
...and so it goes on with stage 3 of 3 ending with "Replacing bad clusters in logfile.
Sometime later I get a panel on the screen stating Microsoft is unable to verify the copy of Windows XP installed on this machine - Error code 0x800700c1.
I clicked "OK" and ended up with a plain blue screen. Nothing could change this so I pulled the plug, which my XP manual advised. Then waited about a minute and plugged back in. This time the machine started with usual fast-fan-speed noise with nothing on the monitor. Whereas the fan normally slows down and the screen ends up with the select user box this time the fan kept full bore and the screen showed nothing.
I finally (probably 15 mins later) unplugged again, left it overnight, and this morning plugged it back in.
This time the machine acted normally in terms of fan noise etc. - the NEC screen came up and the "running dots" happened but up came the confounded blue screen with the error code 0x800700c1 message mentioned above.
The manual for the computer has a recovery guide giving two recovery options - one where you lose all your data and one where you don't. The latter is of course my preferred option which involves pressing "F11" when the NEC logo appears - and that's where I'm at at time of writing. I'm scarred to tackle this with my limited knowledge, knowing the expertise which exists on this site. If someone says "Yep thats your only/best option" then I'll be into it with gusto but...
Pleeeeze can anyone help?
Regards, Trevor Richards.

Trev
18-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Try here.
http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=error+code+0x800700c1+&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
Trevor :)

Speedy Gonzales
18-03-2007, 04:50 PM
See if the info here (http://www.mcse.ms/message762180.html) fixes it.

Boot to Safe mode by hitting F8 as the system first begins to load. From the
boot menu, choose it from the options. Logon as administrator.

Start/run regsvr32 regwizc.dll

Then start/run regsvr32 licdll.dll

If this doesn't help try these steps:

Start the computer in Safe mode by hitting F8 at bootup. Start/run regedit.

Delete the following keys:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Cryptograph y\Providers

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers

Exit the registry editor, restart normally.

Does this message say anything about activation?

pctek
18-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Or do a Repair Install on it.
And let chkdsk do a complete scan including Sectors in case of failing HDD.