PDA

View Full Version : Daylight Saving

davehartley
18-03-2007, 02:10 PM
Just a query ...

If the powers-that-be do decide to extend daylight saving, can we change that in Windows ourselves?

(I recall, many moons ago, installing a Novell 4 network, and as part of the installation I had to say which weekends in Oct and Mar were the changeover times for DST.)

I've had a (very) quick look through the regional settings, but there's nowhere that I can see to say when DST actually starts and stops.

Or is this going to be a patch from MS? :groan:

Speedy Gonzales
18-03-2007, 02:14 PM
Yup just change it yourself, or whenever it happens MS will most probably bring out a patch.

If someone tells them.

Its on the clock in the taskbar / time zone tab.

It should have gone back an hr automatically this morning.

It doesnt say when it starts and finishes. Windows knows when it starts and finishes, and changes it when it comes into effect.

davehartley
18-03-2007, 02:17 PM
Yeah, I know where the DST on/off is ... but where does Windows know that it's the first weekend in Oct/3rd weekend in Mar? Because that's the thing that's going to have to be changed ... if we get it extended.

Speedy Gonzales
18-03-2007, 02:24 PM
According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time)

DST information is stored in the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones\, under the TZI registry value.

In Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 the information comes from the time zone database stored in the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\TimeZoneInformation\. When the rule changes an update needs to be applied

davehartley
18-03-2007, 02:34 PM
A ha! Thanks for that, Speedy.

rob_on_guitar
18-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Speaking of daylight savings, I showed up for work at 5am instead of 6am.

Holy crap. Just an extra hour has made my day drag on.

:nerd:

Terry Porritt
18-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Back in 1931, Irving Kahal and Harry Richman were seriously discussing whether there ought to be Moonlight Saving Time.............

http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000001HKB001014/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_014/104-3053746-8668752

http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/hanshaw/ThereOughtToBeAMoonlightSaving-1931.ram

Sweep
18-03-2007, 03:37 PM
Now that Daylight saving time is off in New Zealand I guess I will not have to cover all my furniture in case it fades.

Jo in Queensland said he was not going to get up an hour earlier for anyone.

Queensland in Australia still does not have Daylight saving as far as I can tell.

Trev
18-03-2007, 04:50 PM
The US of A have started there D/S about 2 or 3 weeks earlier this year and MS have bought out a patch for XP so that it knows D/S has changed.

Trevor :)

R2x1
19-03-2007, 01:10 AM
Now that Daylight saving time is off in New Zealand I guess I will not have to cover all my furniture in case it fades.

Queensland in Australia still does not have Daylight saving as far as I can tell.
The closer you get to the equator, the less change in the seasonal daylight hours. (So saving plants in a garden that straddles the equator from getting totally befuddled.)

Terry Porritt
19-03-2007, 08:17 AM
The closer you get to the equator, the less change in the seasonal daylight hours. (So saving plants in a garden that straddles the equator from getting totally befuddled.)

A runner bean in the southern hemisphere grows anti-clockwise around a bean pole when looking from above. In the northern hemisphere it grows clockwise.

On the equator they do indeed get confused and dont know which way to turn :)

Laura
19-03-2007, 12:30 PM
A runner bean in the southern hemisphere grows anti-clockwise around a bean pole when looking from above. In the northern hemisphere it grows clockwise.

On the equator they do indeed get confused and dont know which way to turn :)

I expected you to choose the delightful Flanders & Swann bindweed/convolvulus song as your example, Terry.
"Misalliance," I think they called it.
My version's on vinyl somewhere.

Or are the late 50s too recent for your 20s tastes?

Terry Porritt
19-03-2007, 12:57 PM
I expected you to choose the delightful Flanders & Swann bindweed/convolvulus song as your example, Terry.
My version's on vinyl somewhere.

Or are the late 50s too recent for your 20s tastes?

Oh yes, I'd forgotten, thanks....Misalliance.....
For WMP:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000026GPR001010/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_010/104-3053746-8668752

For Real Audio:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/music/clipserve/B000006T4S001010/1/ref=mu_sam_ra001_010/026-3252988-1722802

Laura
19-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Ta.

Morgenmuffel
19-03-2007, 01:35 PM

I thought the same thing, lyrics here (http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/pennywyatt/Interests/FlandersSwann/DropOfaHat/At%20the%20Drop%20of%20a%20Hat10.html), those Guys sang about pretty much anything, which is quite a skill

Laura
19-03-2007, 02:43 PM
I thought the same thing, lyrics here (http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/pennywyatt/Interests/FlandersSwann/DropOfaHat/At%20the%20Drop%20of%20a%20Hat10.html), those Guys sang about pretty much anything, which is quite a skill

Luverlee.

Thanks for that website, Nigel.
Lots of great F & S lyrics there.

Naturally several - from student days - are already known by heart.
(Dare I mention "Have some Madeira, My Dear"?)

FoxyMX
19-03-2007, 05:08 PM

I thought you were having us on for a moment Terry so off a-Googling I went. Might have known you weren't pulling our legs. :)

in the southern hemisphere the sun goes round from east to west via the north side of the sky, as opposed to the south in the northern, and this is why people always get their sense of direction mixed up when they swap hemispheres. But not a lot of people know that runner beans grow round poles in a different direction in each of the hemispheres, because they follow the light round the poles.

Just one example, taken from this page (http://www.moxon.net/australia/english_view_of_australia.html).

Incidentally, that whole page might be a rather interesting and amusing read to yourself. :)

beama
19-03-2007, 05:25 PM
another patch form M$ :eek:

dolby digital
20-03-2007, 09:46 AM
(Dare I mention "Have some Madeira, My Dear"?)

Umm... no. Lets not :xmouth:

devo
20-03-2007, 07:31 PM
would be great if they extended it...dont know about by 4 weeks though.... maybe have a better idea in a couple of weeks, but would like to see it extended:thumbs: :thumbs:

Graham L
20-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Have some Madiera, my dear?

Candy is dandy
but liquor is quicker

Laura
20-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Have some Madiera, my dear?

And if you add the Ogden Nash version to the Flanders & Swann version..?
Hmmm...

Madeira's so out of fashion nowadays, it mightn't be first choice.
But some lines stay topical.
Long before we'd ever tasted it, my girlfriends & I would gigglingly sing: "The evil gin does would be hard to assess."

rob_on_guitar
22-03-2007, 02:22 PM
What would actually happen if we didnt put our clocks foward or backward? Is it really nessecary?

Graham L
22-03-2007, 02:43 PM
What would actually happen if we didnt put our clocks foward or backward? Is it really nessecary?You must adjust your clocks.

If all the clocks in the world don't move their hands together, in exact synchronism with the earth's rotation, the earth will become confused and stop rotating, with disastrous results.

It is lucky that VCRs and microwave ovens have digital clocks, because most of them show 12:00. Imagine the consequences if it was noon permanently, all over the world.

rob_on_guitar
22-03-2007, 03:51 PM
You must adjust your clocks.

If all the clocks in the world don't move their hands together, in exact synchronism with the earth's rotation, the earth will become confused and stop rotating, with disastrous results.

It is lucky that VCRs and microwave ovens have digital clocks, because most of them show 12:00. Imagine the consequences if it was noon permanently, all over the world.

Bliss!:p

R2x1
24-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Unfortunately, it is probably midnight on all those videos and microwaves, maybe because Murphy was from the Northern hemisphere and had his bathwater going down wrongly.
If not, it isn't.

radium
24-03-2007, 01:18 AM
What would actually happen if we didnt put our clocks foward or backward? Is it really nessecary?

I agree they should just make it so you put your clocks forward 1/2 hour and leave it like that all year round, permantley.

Extending daylight saving will make it very dark in the morning for those early starts.

mikebartnz
24-03-2007, 03:39 AM
It doesnt say when it starts and finishes. Windows knows when it starts and finishes, and changes it when it comes into effect.
That is the problem it should not be hard coded within the OS just like I don't hard code GST into a program I do. It may change as they have found out in the USA and one part of Aussie and maybe in NZ. If there is any chance of something changing then you don't hard code it. Between that and the registry it shows a complete lack of understanding of good coding practice on MS's part.

godfather
24-03-2007, 09:41 AM

Still the case, just been over there for a meeting early March.
When I arrived I put my watch back 3 hours and my calendar back 10 years.

stu161204
27-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Microsoft to provide updates for new daylight savings hours (http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/feature/8D7EFB4423E850F3CC25730600836D1B)

mejobloggs
28-06-2007, 12:19 AM
Daylight saving! It's everywhere! It surrounds us!

Metla
28-06-2007, 12:24 AM
Queensland doesn't need daylight savings, The extra light in the morning suits the climate as its cooler in the early hours.

Come mid afternoon/evening its stinking hot, Your inside with the AC not outside enjoying the extra hour of daylight.

Hell, During summer we worked from 6 am to lunchtime, then knocked off, Too hot to work in the arvo.