PDA

View Full Version : Vista Question

JJJJJ
17-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Has anyone tried to edit a cfg file in Vista?

No I don't have it installed.

dolby digital
17-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Has anyone tried to edit a cfg file in Vista?

No I don't have it installed.

Then why do you want to edit a cfg file :D

TGoddard
17-03-2007, 10:01 PM
CFG is presumably simply short for configuration. It's not a standard format of any sort, so how could anybody possibly know whether or not you can edit it? It's probably just a text file but for all we know it could be a binary dump of some program's memory structures. Open it in notepad and have a look.

Metla
17-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Putting 2 and 12 together my guess is its a config file for a Flight-sim addon, and as already suggested by Mr Goddard will probally be simply a txt file that holds a few user changable settings..

JJJJJ
17-03-2007, 10:11 PM
The file in fs9, fs9.cfg, which resides in "Documents and settings" can be opened and edited in XP. In Vista it can't. As this file needs editing to improve graphics I have found another reason not to buy Vista.
Well guessed Metla.
It's actually the repositary for all fs9's settings.

somebody
18-03-2007, 07:15 AM
The file in fs9, fs9.cfg, which resides in "Documents and settings" can be opened and edited in XP. In Vista it can't. As this file needs editing to improve graphics I have found another reason not to buy Vista.
Well guessed Metla.

What do you mean by "can't be edited"? It is most likely UAC preventing you from editing a system file and wrecking havoc.

To get around this, in start menu right-click on Notepad. Select "Run as Administrator". Then in Notepad, browse to the fs9.cfg file, and it should open and let you edit.

Big John
18-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Well guessed Metla.

It is exactly the same. Just use Notepad to edit it. I have already made many changes to mine and it works no trouble. You may have to link it to notepad first but that is easy enough done.

Whatever can be done in XP can be done in Vista as well.