PDA

View Full Version : firefox problem

mejobloggs
17-03-2007, 02:13 PM
Anyone know how to fix this?

(See the attached screenshot... down the bottom)

Attached file: mejobloggs-firefox.png (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/mejobloggs-firefox.png) (13 KB)

FF 2.0.2

Was all fine, then came to the pc in the morning, and it went like this.

Safari
17-03-2007, 02:22 PM
That what you will get if you go to that URL
If that is your homepage reset it to just www.google.co.nz without the firefox bits after it.

mejobloggs
17-03-2007, 02:27 PM
No no, right down the bottom. I don't know what you call it.

Wait! Status bar! It's so big and fat, and it has that red arrow thing on the left

Laura
17-03-2007, 02:35 PM
No, I can't tell you how to fix it - but will be interested if anyone else can.

My Firefox 1.5(?) gave me a grey band at the bottom of the screen - with no warning - a few months ago.
I posted a thread then, but in spite of several suggestions, couldn't fix it.

I finally uninstalled it, reinstalling the slightly later version available then.
The band was still there, so presumably an error in my Profile (JavaScript?)

To cut short, I simply chickened out & used IE - until this week, when I installed FF 2.0 from PC World's March DVD.
And the problem is gone!

Can't remember what I called my thread. Maybe a Search under my name - latish last year - would bring up the advice I was given then.
You may follow it better than I did.

Edit: Ooops. Longer ago than I thought,
It was 10/04/06 titled: Lost some screen - so basic question.
And - as threads can - it grew...
(Must learn how to post proper links some day)

Misty
17-03-2007, 02:57 PM
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=67926 :)

Just open the thread, Laura and copy the url in the address line (deleting reference at the end to search and to Laura, or whatever). When you paste PressF1 automatically identifies as a link and shows it as such.

Must learn how to do so that link just shows "here"
Misty

Laura
17-03-2007, 03:01 PM
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=67926 :)

Must learn how to do so that link just shows "here"
Misty

Ta, Misty.
You're a gentleman and a scholar.

Misty
17-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Ta, Misty.
You're a gentleman and a scholar.
Wish my father was alive to read that ! He was a real scholar .... I am just a "Clayton's" scholar !! ;)

Laura, did you see that I edited and expanded on my post to suggest how simple links are done ?
cheers
Misty :)

Laura
17-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Yes.

zqwerty
17-03-2007, 04:47 PM
mejobloggs, this is an indication of an incompatable/corrupted/badly written extension/add-on, you have to find out which one.

First of all confirm what I have said by starting Firefox in Safe Mode: Start/Programs/Mozilla Firefox(safemode).

If it works ok then it is an extension/add-on problem.

Now disable half of your extensions then if it works ok narrow it down by going back to the disabled ones and reenabling then exhaustively checking each one. You can use logic to shorten this process but I can't be bothered to type it all out for you here,

Good luck. I have more than 100 extensions on my Firefox and am well versed in this problem.

After you find the offending add-on, un-install it then re-install from the Mozilla site, google is your friend.

mejobloggs
18-03-2007, 03:49 PM
Well it's gone now, but thanks for that info zqwerty, now I will know what on earth is happening if it happens again.

Sweep
18-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Pleased the Firefox problem was solved.

Here was me thinking that any IE problem would be solved by just using Firefox. But what if we just fix the browser problem?

This makes me think that maybe Firefox has a problem or two too.

We can fix Windows by installing a version of Linux. We can fix Intel by getting an amd setup. We can fix Xtra by using Xnet. We can fix the car by changing from a Landrover to a Ferrari.

Possibly we ( as a community ) could fix more if we could communicate rather than just pushing a barrow.

Quite a few people here ask questions. That is fair enough. This is a help forum.

Starting to wonder if PressF1 should be split further in forums.

ChatF1 in my opinion does not need a split.

PressF1 MAY need to be split into Win3.11, DOS, Beos, Win95, Win98, Linux, WinXP, WinXP64, Vista and etc.

Not for me to say. I visit PressF1 on a regular basis.

mejobloggs
18-03-2007, 04:26 PM
*jo scratches his head in puzzlement*

Sweep
18-03-2007, 04:40 PM
*jo scratches his head in puzzlement*

No problem.