PDA

View Full Version : CPU or Motherboard bung?

optimist
16-03-2007, 03:02 PM
I bought a second hand computer box and just had to add a hard drive to get it going. When I put the motherboard and CPU into a bigger box it started playing up. The hard drives and cd and dvd all gradually stopped working so i presumed the m/b was packing up. I had tried swapping the PSU and memory to no avail so bought another 2nd hand m/b. now there is no sign of life at all, so was wondering wether to get another cpu. Its a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 and a Athlon 64 3000 cpu. I have done a lot of home computer assembling and upgrading for myself and friends but have not had this many problems before. Any constructive advice would be welcome. I will try reseating the cpu next. TIA.

JJJJJ
16-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Might teach you not to play with second hand rubbish.:badpc:

optimist
16-03-2007, 04:28 PM
Yes the only reliable motherboards Ive had have been new. I have asked for a refund on the motherboard which was advertised as new but was not.

pctek
16-03-2007, 05:23 PM
second hand computer box

The hard drives and cd and dvd all gradually stopped working

I have done a lot of home computer assembling and upgrading for myself and friends but have not had this many problems before.

Yes this is what sorts the cowboys from the techs. What to do when you get a problem.

I'd start by troubleshooting.
Need more clues?

optimist
16-03-2007, 05:48 PM
I dont know if i will bother posting here again if all that is offered are smart remarks. Thanks.

Metla
16-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Lmao.

now, THAT is entertainment.

FoxyMX
16-03-2007, 06:10 PM
Take no notice of that lot. JJJJJ is the local PF1 grump, pctek has had a bad day and Metla is out looking for.... well, like he said, entertainment. :rolleyes:

Disconnect everything from the motherboard so that it just has the CPU in it and is plugged into the PSU. Removing it from the case is even better but be sure to take anti-static precautions. Fire it up and see what happens. Any fans spinning? Any beeps? Any lights blinking?

Let us know what the outcome of that is.

pctek
16-03-2007, 06:13 PM
You haven't given us much info apart from your immense experience at building PCs.

Playing up in what way?
What happened first?
What did you do then?
What happened next?
What do you mean gradually stopped?
Any errors?
ANy BSODS?
Swapped the PSU with what brand and model PSU? How do you know that one was any good?
See..........................tell us properly.

Graham L
16-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Before looking at anything else I would make sure that the motherboard is not shorting to the case. It is highly suspicious that major problems started when the first board was put into a different case.

pctek
16-03-2007, 07:59 PM
pctek has had a bad day

I have not. I've had a rather pleasant day in fact.
Its just cowboy techs are a pet hate.

Like the farmer who ignored everything I'd said totally and went off and bought a NIC and an HDD from DSE and installed them himself.
He then drops it off for me to see what was wrong as NIC didn't detect and after HDD the PC didn't boot.

I removed the NIC from the side of the case he'd dangled it off and put it in an actual PCI slot, checked his jumpers, cables etc fixed them, established the PSU didn't have enough grunt to power 3 IDE devices, then established that the MB was too old anyway and the best it would do was detect the 80GB as a 6Gb.

Now you don't see me going up there and drenching his cattle do you...I leave that to those with the correct expertise.

But thats OK, I added a That Will Teach You charge to his bill.

JJJJJ
17-03-2007, 06:38 AM
Take no notice of that lot. JJJJJ is the local PF1 grump, pctek has had a bad day and Metla is out looking for.... well, like he said, entertainment. :rolleyes:
Let us know what the outcome of that is.

Rather proud of that title.
Local Grump Hmmm.;)

Jen
18-03-2007, 10:58 PM
Rather proud of that title.
Local Grump Hmmm.;)Well you shouldn't be. I notice this member has not returned after your and pctek's comments which were uncalled for ...

Hopefully you haven't put optimist off. Very simple, do not post it if you can't be nice.

JJJJJ
18-03-2007, 11:09 PM
Sorry Jen. It probably sounded a bit harsher than it was meant to be.

SolMiester
18-03-2007, 11:17 PM
2nd hand rubbish?, that's the same family of board my current PC is!

Constructive advise, would be to list all said components.
Fault diagnostics is a series of trial and error and recognizing like errors through experience.

With gradual failure of components, I would be looking at PSU, then mobo, if the PSU or board goes, they can take out other components. The all may now be fried.