PDA

View Full Version : ringing Xtra helpdesk

FAB
15-03-2007, 08:01 PM
Have been listening to music for the last, hang on I'll check, 38 minutes, waiting for a human to answer...
Time to buy a speakerphone! Perhaps this is a ploy by telecom to get us to buy more speakerphones?
Arggghhhhh! Someone at Xtra please answer!!!!

trinsic
15-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Have been listening to music for the last, hang on I'll check, 38 minutes, waiting for a human to answer...
Time to buy a speakerphone! Perhaps this is a ploy by telecom to get us to buy more speakerphones?

You are calling at THE worst time. I found this out after having to call a couple times and in the end I spent a few hours on the phone. Call in the morning.

I had to to get broadband reconnected and I was talking to someone in 30seconds.

FAB
15-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Yeah I know - but when you work all day who you gonna call? :)
Now 47 minutes..sorry just venting my frustration.
The "funny" ting is they emailed me on January 12th and said they'd be in touch. Thought after 2 months I'd call them.

My main problem is my international DL speeds are about 8KB/sec, national speeds 80KB/sec. Something wrong, always has been since it's been installed.

radium
15-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Well you know it's telecom. We should expect more, but we don't.
At least that way we don't get disappointed ;)

FAB
15-03-2007, 08:17 PM
52 minutes of MOH. Ear sore. I give up.

I do believe I can get cable in Island Bay in Wellington...Telstra here I come. Decent upload speeds too! Shame on T slugging me with 128k uploads!

radium
15-03-2007, 09:53 PM
I wait for no more than 5 minutes, Then I just try again latter. otherwiase like you found out you can wait forever

Greg
15-03-2007, 09:53 PM
52 minutes of MOH. Ear sore. I give up.

I do believe I can get cable in Island Bay in Wellington...Telstra here I come. Decent upload speeds too! Shame on T slugging me with 128k uploads!Good on ya. The (partly affordable) upload speeds offered by Telecom/Xtra are disgraceful.

beeswax34
15-03-2007, 10:25 PM
In one word, dont.

R2x1
16-03-2007, 08:57 AM
Heh heh. You are lucky you are not trying the Theresacon dial-up help line. There is not only the delays (actually this is the best part of their service) but really bad music, and a some technically impaired twerp with a hearing / comprehension impediment and a tenuous grasp of the English language.

But, if you are not pressed for time, don't really need help, and can tolerate a fair amount of drivel, it can while away the time during a spell of enforced idleness.

To summarise, a standard Telecom service performance.

Enigmur
16-03-2007, 02:21 PM
My main problem is my international DL speeds are about 8KB/sec, national speeds 80KB/sec. Something wrong, always has been since it's been installed.

What? That isnt a problem, that's just their speed.

I'm suprised their help line is still that busy, i guess there are still a lot of stupid people out there?:illogical

Murray P
16-03-2007, 03:38 PM
In one word, dont.

Please elaborate?

Zap
16-03-2007, 09:57 PM

I can understand its quite annoying. I have had same experiences before. Most of the times its NOT thier fault. We customers clog up their support lines for small small problems. Sometimes I got them on line within seconds and sometimes 20-30 min. When I got them they were really good. Most of the problems are solved if you just powerOff the router and restart it after 1-2 min.

Alternatively, my friend recommends XNET. They have quite good support, I believe.

beeswax34
16-03-2007, 10:57 PM
Please elaborate?

When he said, ringing Xtra Helpdesk, I meant just dont do it.

qazwsxokmijn
16-03-2007, 11:06 PM
I've never had a prob with too long waiting on the phone to xtra.

But ihug....don't get me started on those bastards.....it took me 1 hour and 48 minutes to finally GIVE UP, not getting an answer from ihug.

rogerp
16-03-2007, 11:14 PM
I've never had a prob with too long waiting on the phone to xtra.

But ihug....don't get me started on those bastards.....it took me 1 hour and 48 minutes to finally GIVE UP, not getting an answer from ihug.

Neither have I. I have found Xtras telephone support to be the best out of the ISPs I have used, and I have been through 6 of them since 1998. However I don't use them, as they don't provide the best value for my needs, and I don't need the helping hand they provide.
In high demand times you are always going to get periods when they are going to be difficult to contact. I do very often have difficulty getting through to the IRD.

Renmoo
16-03-2007, 11:16 PM
They should implement reverse call-waiting service, whereby Xtra helpdesk support phones back the person at the designated hour specified by callers when the IT-support staffs are available.

Cheers :)

qazwsxokmijn
17-03-2007, 07:29 AM
They should implement reverse call-waiting service, whereby Xtra helpdesk support phones back the person at the designated hour specified by callers when the IT-support staffs are available.

Cheers :)
Then they would be on the phone 24/7.

pctek
17-03-2007, 08:02 AM
Neither have I. I have found Xtras telephone support to be the best out of the ISPs I have used, and I have been through 6 of them since 1998.

Really. I find them hopeless. I have had to ring or get the customer to ring on quite a few occasions for things like wrong password.

One occasion the guy told me he had had it reset by Xtra, and it was correct. This desppite his error 629. He was told by Xtra that his modem was faulty.
After I made them reset the password again, and spell it back to me, all was well.

And I've had this with broadband setups too.

And one occasion where the modem was faulty.
Having tested it at my place with my account, tested hers at her place with my modem and so on you'd think they would get the point. But no.

Xtra always make them go through pointless setting exercises, adding DNS and stuff and never listen to what you are telling them.

Sue
17-03-2007, 08:29 AM
I found Xtra OK. No more than 10 mins wait during normal work hours. The nominated 'Mac' guy was keen to learn how the newest Mac OS worked and had broadband set up in no time. Just don't touch their CD :) it's not required for Mac.

somebody
17-03-2007, 09:32 AM
I've found with other helpdesks that if you ring them from a mobile phone (i.e if it is an 0800 call), they tend to prioritise your call. It makes sense - they want to save money on the toll call.

I phoned Linksys support last year with a problem - was on hold for 15mins when I rang with my landline... rang on my mobile (while still holding), and got put through to a person immediately.