PDA

View Full Version : Power Calibration Error

14-02-2001, 09:58 AM
Whilst backing up one of my playstation games with Nero, i got a message 'power calibration error'. I then tried using PsxCopy and ended up with the same message. The message always appears just as im starting to burn a disc. I tried using CDRwin but had errors as well (not sure if they are related to this problem). Can anyone tell me the cause of this error and what i can do about it. Thanks

14-02-2001, 10:53 AM
Hello Jacen

A client of mine had the same problem with a Writer I sold him, using Nero software, it had me scratching my head as to what the problem was, as in his case I tried the machine at home it worked perfectly, he took it away and got the same problem, so I did some research on exactly what is a ''Power calibration area '' it appears that all CD media have a power calibration area built into them and on some disks the area is a bit small for certain brands of Writer to calibrate their laser with, hence the cryptic message
'' power calibration area full''.
Anyway the solution either use 650MB disks or a different brand of 700MB, the 700MB seems to be the problem ones, as we tried three brands before we got one(Mitsubishi) that would work reliably with his BTC 4 x 4 x 32 Writer.
Anyway he went away happy, I got a few more grey hairs and every thing was fine in the end.

Regards

Alan

14-02-2001, 09:18 PM
Well, i too have tried various different disk brands (Hp, Sony, Kodak, Acer)and i still get this problem. Its very annoying. Is there anyway of fixing this, short of taking it to the technician (and even then, can they do anything)?
Im not getting the message 'power calibration area full', but 'power callibration error'. Sometimes i could kick my pc!