PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Sharing Issues...

csinclair83
14-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Been on hold with Xtra for a hour 30 mins! without a response so gave up and decided to come here...

Last night I rang to activate my username for xtra, and they offered to help me through step by step with connecting 3 computers, but i said I couldnt connect it due to being on the phone...so they told me step by step anyway what to do...and alternatives..

I was basically told to install the modem on 1 computer, following step by step on cd...then just simply plug in the ethernet cables into the other 2 computers, and ensure that the Local Area Connection has the 'obtain IP address automatically' option ticked...and then everything will work..

So I've done all that, but it wont work on the other 2 computers apart from this one??? I cant figure out whats wrong, the computers pick up the cable connection, and they've been restarted, still no luck?

Ive seen options on here for another hub or something to make it alot easier, but this is just a short term measure, probably 1 month or so before it ends up being only 1 computer...

Router was already mine...its a Dlink, pretty much the same one that Xtra is using in their Wired Network Kit...

All 3 computers are using winxp home with network cards, sp2, and yeah :)

Can anyone help?

Cheers

stu161204
14-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Have a look at this FAQ: http://faqf1.net.nz/index.php?title=Networking_computers to see if everything has been setup ok on the other two computers.

Best of luck :)

pine-o-cleen
14-03-2007, 08:24 PM
He's not networking the computers, just sharing the ADSL connection (I think?). Do they have seperate firewalls? Perhaps try shutting the firewalls down, and see if it works then. If that does work, then you need to change your firewall settings.

csinclair83
14-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Yep just sharing broadband, not wanting to share files etc...

Firewalls on all 3 computers are disabled, even the windows one,

still no suck luck in working...

csinclair83
14-03-2007, 08:37 PM
the computers pick up the connection of cables etc...it just for some reason wont let the internet work....IP addresses are correct according to the settnigs Xtra gave me...

Firewalls are disabled...

rogerp
14-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Been on hold with Xtra for a hour 30 mins! without a response so gave up and decided to come here...

Last night I rang to activate my username for xtra, and they offered to help me through step by step with connecting 3 computers, but i said I couldnt connect it due to being on the phone...so they told me step by step anyway what to do...and alternatives..

I was basically told to install the modem on 1 computer, following step by step on cd...then just simply plug in the ethernet cables into the other 2 computers, and ensure that the Local Area Connection has the 'obtain IP address automatically' option ticked...and then everything will work..

So I've done all that, but it wont work on the other 2 computers apart from this one??? I cant figure out whats wrong, the computers pick up the cable connection, and they've been restarted, still no luck?

Ive seen options on here for another hub or something to make it alot easier, but this is just a short term measure, probably 1 month or so before it ends up being only 1 computer...

Router was already mine...its a Dlink, pretty much the same one that Xtra is using in their Wired Network Kit...

All 3 computers are using winxp home with network cards, sp2, and yeah :)

Can anyone help?

Cheers

With a broadband connection surely you can talk on the phone and be on the internet at the same time, unlike with dialup.
Thats pretty good of telecom to try and help you to get other computers connected. Basically I think you do need a hub if you don't already have one, to share the connection, otherwise you have to share the internet connection through the main computer connected to the ADSL modem, which requires you to have 'share internet connection enabled in windows. My ADSL modem includes a hub on it, so you don't need to do this, so you simply just plug the cable from each computer into the back of the hub/router/adsl modem , which it has space for 4 computers to share it. Mine also has wireless, so additional computers can connect to it wirelessly. If you don't already have a hub, I would recommend one, otherwise you would need to have you main computer on in order to share the connection.

csinclair83
14-03-2007, 08:59 PM
I couldnt connect the modem because my username wasnt activated...so had no username to connect to the broadband network with..and wasnt prepared to cut the call off to connect then ring back and wait forever...

I have a router thats got space for 4 computers....i was told to basically install the modem on computer number 1....which i have done successfully, and then just plug ethernet cable into router then into computer number 2, and same again router to computer number 3...and they should pick up the Ip addresses automatically if the options are ticked...thats what they told me, and they said if that fails to enter the details manually...(i've also tried this and it fails too)

My computer is always on anyway so being on is not a issue....

SolMiester
14-03-2007, 09:47 PM
What model is the modem/router please, also conpare the ipconfig of all the pc's via the dos prompt. All 3 should show the gateway as the router ip address.

Go start>run>cmd. At the dos prompt type ipconfig /all!

dbs
14-03-2007, 09:51 PM
i dont know where to start.....
is it -
adsl or dialup?
phone jack -> modem -> router -> individual pc's
or is the modem connected directly to your pc ?
if you have a router your pc wont have to be on all the time
cheers

decibel
14-03-2007, 09:55 PM
So all 3 computers now have IP addresses ? such as:
10.1.1.5 ?

csinclair83
15-03-2007, 07:32 AM
Ok

this is the plan i want to have

phone jack.....connect that to adsl router(has 4 ethernet ports and a socket for the phone jack....)so all 3 computers can access the internet at the same time...http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/binarys/dsl-504t.pdf the image in the bottom right corner is wat I want to do....

I was told to install the adslmodem/router onto the 1st computer not all 3 computers, and then just plug the cables into the other 2 computers and they will just pick up the IP addresses automatically

The IP addresses are 10.1.1.7, 10.1.1.4, 10.1.1.2 (telecom said it didnt matter what the last number is as long it different....and the gateway/default Ip must match....

ANd they all do, for some reason it just wont work...

The other 2 computers pick up the Connection etc, coz when you plug it in it says Local Area Connection is now Connected, and also disconnected when u unplug it....it just wont let the internet run...

Modem Details...(its exactly the same as the one on Xtra's website...it used to be used at work with only 1 computer....so i swapped them my single modem for their 4port one....

D-Link 504T 4-port ADSL modem/routerADSL or ADSL2 4-port Modem
4 port 10/100 ethernet router
Connect up to 4 computers to the internet via fast Ethernet
3 year warranty
Ideal for home office or small office users
Xtra approved modem

Can I just have step by step as I am thinking I will just start again, unplug everything uninstall what i've done on here, and start fresh...can someone give me the steps to do it from step 1 on my computer to the final step on the 3rd computer?

I appreciate all the help so far :)

decibel
15-03-2007, 07:58 AM
[QUOTE=csinclair83;533851]Ok

I was told to install the adslmodem/router onto the 1st computer not all 3 computers, QUOTE]

This is the bit that doesn't make sense - you don't " install the modem onto the 1st computer " , all 3 computers should be set-up the same.

PaulD
15-03-2007, 08:32 AM
No, the "install" is where you configure the modem with the Xtra CD that also puts the Admin shortcut on the desktop. The other pcs just need to be told to get their ip address from the modem which they seem to be doing. I think the Internet OPtions needs to have "Never Dial" ticked to force it onto the ethernet connection to the modem.

fnphoto
15-03-2007, 09:44 AM
Have you used this line before for broadband? Have you checked to see if the line has been "broadband enabled".

fnphoto
15-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Have you used this line before for broadband? Have you checked to see if the line has been "broadband enabled".
Sorry I didn't see that you have already had a connection

i.e.
"So I've done all that, but it wont work on the other 2 computers apart from this one???"

but check your gateway ip....

SolMiester
15-03-2007, 09:52 AM
On the other PC,s go to Control Panel>Internet Options>connections, remove any dial-up entry's, click LAN Settings, and place tick in Automatically detect settings.

Rob99
15-03-2007, 09:52 AM
start > run > cmd > ipconfig /all
start > run > cmd > ipconfig^ note: there is a space here

Do this on each computer and post the results

SolMiester
15-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Robb, looks like he's already done that and the match except for the ip addys

Rob99
15-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Robb, looks like he's already done that and the match except for the ip addys

Assumption is the mother of all..... Never believe what you are told, always ask for proof.

PaulD
15-03-2007, 10:27 AM
The IP addresses are 10.1.1.7, 10.1.1.4, 10.1.1.2 (telecom said it didnt matter what the last number is as long it different....and the gateway/default Ip must match....

ANd they all do, for some reason it just wont work...

Do you need more proof than that?

Just need csinclair83 to come back and follow some of the other suggetsions.

SolMiester
15-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Robb, helps if you read the entire thread bud....LOL

Andy L
15-03-2007, 11:09 AM
If you haven't already got a good solid understanding of the LAN environment you are trying to create I suggest you look at this:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1429

1st steps 1st is to ensure you can get the DSL connection working in it's most basic setup, i.e. the ADSL router just talking to your PC. In this scenario your PC will have the XTRA details configured and the ADSL router should be setup to act like a modem (pass through everything). Once you've got Internet connectivity you can then move into setting up the LAN confident that any problem isn't one at XTRAs end.

From what I think you are describing your LAN setup to do, you will need to configure the ADSL Router with the XTRA details (IP address DNS subnet mask etc) and not put this on your 1st computer. The Router should also act as a DHCP server and gateway for all your PCs so you will need to configure the router to do this, and configure all PCs to use DHCP. The router may also offer other features such as firewalling, VPN, site blocking (and many more) so you need to be careful not to end up inadvertently blocking access by getting too fancy with these options and rules.

You should definitely run a personal firewall on each of the PCs all the time and not rely on the router to protect you.

Hope this helps ...

Rob99
15-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Robb, helps if you read the entire thread bud....LOL
I have;

Asking her to check phone cables and ADSL connection when its been stated it works on one computer already, I know these people are only trying to help, but...

Dial up connection will have nothing to do with ADSL lan connection

If we start form the beginning with the correct information this set-up should be easy as plugging in a few cables

rogerp
15-03-2007, 03:01 PM
On the other PC,s go to Control Panel>Internet Options>connections, remove any dial-up entry's, click LAN Settings, and place tick in Automatically detect settings.

It sounds like it is something like that, that would cause the problem, especially if they were previously using dialup..

csinclair83
15-03-2007, 05:20 PM
readed the full thread and tried alternatives and found it was the dial up conflict that caused it....i didnt do anything about dial up as it worked fine on mine and i still have my dial up connection..
so on other 2 computers, removed dial up connections, anmd now they work successfully :)

Thanks all for your help!

csinclair83
15-03-2007, 05:29 PM
PS i should have waited till after dinner to fix it...as its me cooking now...flatmates have dashed onto their comps.....!!!!!

Thanks guys for your alternatives and help :)

SolMiester
15-03-2007, 05:53 PM
readed the full thread and tried alternatives and found it was the dial up conflict that caused it....i didnt do anything about dial up as it worked fine on mine and i still have my dial up connection..
so on other 2 computers, removed dial up connections, anmd now they work successfully :)

Thanks all for your help!

No worries!