PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Video Cards

Strommer
14-03-2007, 07:31 AM
What factors determine the effectiveness of a video card?
It seems that a 256 Mb card would be better than a 128 Mb, but what else should be taken into consideration?

qazwsxokmijn
14-03-2007, 07:44 AM
I used to look at the pixel/texel fillrate and memory bandwidth, and I still use that way partially. Than theres the pixel processors and 3DMark scores. And the memory interface.

Higher memory doesn't always mean a better card. A 512MB 7600GS will never be as good as a 256MB X1900XT.

pctek
14-03-2007, 08:35 AM
Take a look at the FAQ:

http://faqf1.net.nz/index.php?title=How_to_choose_a_graphics_card

Strommer
14-03-2007, 08:52 AM
Take a look at the FAQ:

http://faqf1.net.nz/index.php?title=How_to_choose_a_graphics_card

:thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
14-03-2007, 11:39 AM
And it was good using a Nvidia card compared to an ATI card (till Nvidia drivers got worse).

Coz the Nvidia drivers when using TV out, let u view 2 different screens.

The ATI drivers dont. Whatever is on your monitor/LCD is the same on the TV.

trinsic
14-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Look for bit rate as well. I don't think it matters much these days but a 128mb 256bit card is better then a 256mb 128bit card. Also factor in the type of ram. Any card using DDR3 would be in your pick of choices.

Trev
14-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Check this out.
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html
Trevor :)

pctek
14-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Coz the Nvidia drivers when using TV out, let u view 2 different screens.

The ATI drivers dont. Whatever is on your monitor/LCD is the same on the TV.

Well my friend using an ATI card manages to display TV on the one monitor while playing games on the other............

Speedy Gonzales
14-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Well my friend using an ATI card manages to display TV on the one monitor while playing games on the other............

Hmm ok, wanna ask him how.

I've never be able to find the option to do this with the ATI drivers, and I cant see anything in the catalyst control centre for this. (using the latest ATI drivers).

I've only just managed to get the damn thing to display @ 1440x900 when TV out is enabled lol.

It used to revert back to 1024x768 everytime I rebooted (this was after I refomatted), and I had to change it all the time, but now its ok.

It was easy as with the Nvidia drivers (but when the Nvidia drivers decided to get crappier), I went to ATI.

Umm, I've tried 2 monitors, they work ok, but is he using a monitor and a TV for TV out??

Thats what doesnt work with ATI cards.

SolMiester
14-03-2007, 09:54 PM
Toms hardware site is total BS, he has the AIT 1900xt beating the nv8800GTX. what a dosser that guys is, an utter ATI pawn...LOL.

While ok for an idea, I stay clear of Toms, he was an Intel flunky while AMD ruled. God knows who pulls his strings now...

Strommer
15-03-2007, 07:34 AM
Here is a basic question: Other than for gaming, how important is a graphic card? For general web browsing, emailing and word processing, my guess is that on board mb graphics would be fine. But with photo editing (Photoshop or similar) and video encoding, would a budget graphic card be any different compared to high end cards or are RAM and type of mobo more important?

JJJJJ
15-03-2007, 08:15 AM
Depends on what you use the comp for.
Ten years ago I was quite happy with a card with 2mb's.
Even the games of the time viewed quite well.
Today even 2 512 mb cards aren't enough for some games.

Speedy Gonzales
15-03-2007, 02:00 PM
. But with photo editing (Photoshop or similar) and video encoding, would a budget graphic card be any different compared to high end cards or are RAM and type of mobo more important?

I would say this would apply to physical ram not ram thats on a videocard.

With Video encoding, you wouldnt only need ram, the speed of the system would also be taken into account. (speed would be more important than the ram).

I dont think either of the above would care how much ram u have on a vidcard, but depending on how much ram is installed, photoshop would complain, if it was low, depending on what you're doing.