PDA

View Full Version : dual ethernet ports: question

motorbyclist
14-03-2007, 12:22 AM
so my motherboard has dual gigabit ethernet ports... if i were to plug both into my network, ie. both into the one router/switch, would this double my bandwidth or no? i don't have a gigabit switch, but 200Mb/s would be nice during lans.

in short could i download/fileshare on one cable and game on the other to avoid lag?

(PS: how long you reckon before Gb/s becomes a common term like Mb/s?)

Chilling_Silence
14-03-2007, 01:21 AM
Some games throw a wobbly if you were to try something like that, even on different IP ranges... Just some, not all.

CYaBro
14-03-2007, 06:56 AM
Yea I don't think it is as simple as plugging both into the lan.
The whole network would get confused as it would see two network cards (MAC addresses) and two IP addresses pointing to the same computer name.

Your mainboard needs to support 'teaming' which allows both nics to work as one but getting up to double the bandwidth.

bob_doe_nz
14-03-2007, 08:37 AM
Now if only dirt cheap and decent mobos could do that, then I could set up a mini atx router.

Pete O'Neil
14-03-2007, 12:24 PM
The switch also needs to support teaming/port aggregation/trunking ;) Its not particularly common on desktops etc but is widely used in corporate environments. 2x1gbit links is generally enough to provide sufficient bandwidth to a 24port 100mbit switch.

SolMiester
14-03-2007, 02:03 PM
You maybe able to team the NIC's on your motherboard, however unless you have an intelligent switch, it wont team at the other end!

motorbyclist
15-03-2007, 12:52 AM
ah, owell thanks anyway