PDA

View Full Version : Website test (another one)

johcar
12-03-2007, 07:36 PM
New to this game - but it seems fun. Just set up a website (along with a mate) for a very loose association of cyclists. (My mate did the bulk of the work and I just tidied up afterwards).

I have added in something that I think is a cool feature - a favicon.

I am an Opera user, but also have Firefox 2 and IE7 installed. When I open the site using Opera or Firefox, the favicon is sitting there in the address bar, but not in IE. Can't work out why - I have cleared all my temp files but that doesn't seem to have made any difference.

The site is here (http://www.pickledpedallers.co.nz).

I don't have another PC at home at the moment (it's at the doctors :( ) - can anyone using IE (or with IE installed) see the favicon?

Any ideas as to why I can't see it in IE? Thanks in advance...

johcar
12-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Hmm. <Shift> + <F5> doesn't refresh the page either in IE7...?? Is that a new feature of IE7?

stu161204
12-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Any ideas as to why I can't see it in IE?

You need to bookmaker (add to Favorites) before IE Will show the favicon, ( I think IE Does not support favicon like what Firefox & Opera does.)

Hopes that makes sense & I Hope this helps :)

johcar
12-03-2007, 08:07 PM
You need to bookmaker (add to Favorites) before IE Will show the favicon, ( I think IE Does not support favicon like what Firefox & Opera does.)

Hopes that makes sense & I Hope this helps :) Thanks for the quick response Stu - not quite sure what your response means though... Bookmaker? Couldn't find anything via Google... Is it an Add-in?

stu161204
12-03-2007, 08:11 PM
I mean to say "bookmark", but I miss the edit time. :blush: :o

johcar
12-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Ahh - CLICK! :blush: You mean I need to add the site to my Favorites before I can see the favicon. Done that - no change.

mejobloggs
12-03-2007, 08:15 PM
The hit counter looks out of place imo. Try a different style to fit into your colour scheme more

Laura
12-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Johcar, I also can see your favicon in my Firefox 2, but not in my IE.
(That's IE6. Haven't bothered to upgrade to 7 yet)

But that comparison shows me the PF1 site also has an address bar favicon in FF, but only IE's own one.

johcar
12-03-2007, 08:34 PM
The hit counter looks out of place imo. Try a different style to fit into your colour scheme moreI agree - I downloaded a 'free' one that had built in links to some loan outfit in the US. We edited the code to remove the 'adware' and the style of the counter changed to the ugly thing that you see now.

Any code for a more stylely counter gratefully received... :)

johcar
12-03-2007, 08:36 PM
Johcar, I also can see your favicon in my Firefox 2, but not in my IE.
(That's IE6. Haven't bothered to upgrade to 7 yet)

But that comparison shows me the PF1 site also has an address bar favicon in FF, but only IE's own one.Looks like it might be a feature then :(. I get the same result in Opera as you in Firefox... Cheers.

stu161204
12-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Ahh - CLICK! :blush: You mean I need to add the site to my Favorites before I can see the favicon. Done that - no change.

Try clearing you internet cache & / or doing a Ctl + F5 to do a hard refresh & hopefully you will get it then, if not it will show up after a while :)

johcar
12-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Try clearing you internet cache & / or doing a Ctl + F5 to do a hard refresh & hopefully you will get it then, if not it will show up after a while :)Ahh! <Ctrl> + <F5>, not <Shift> !!!

rogerp
12-03-2007, 09:39 PM
I agree - I downloaded a 'free' one that had built in links to some loan outfit in the US. We edited the code to remove the 'adware' and the style of the counter changed to the ugly thing that you see now.

Any code for a more stylely counter gratefully received... :)

I have always found getting a favicon to appear in IE a bit hit and miss. There is a download you can get that will organise your bookmarks and will save the favicons from websites and they then appear in IE, however I can't remember what the download is called.

Greg
12-03-2007, 10:04 PM
If you open the page in IE, then browse to another page, and return to your page, it should then show up.

Laura
12-03-2007, 10:05 PM
I have always found getting a favicon to appear in IE a bit hit and miss. There is a download you can get that will organise your bookmarks and will save the favicons from websites and they then appear in IE, however I can't remember what the download is called.

Might it be Activicons from Cursor Arts?

I found that ages ago, but didn't get as far as installing it, so unsure by now of what it can do.

zqwerty
12-03-2007, 10:18 PM
No favicon in IE6, Firefox yes.

Spectrum Technology has no link.

Rob99
12-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Works here in IE7, I would not be to concerned about the icon.

btw. I am visitor 130-201 on your site, one way to make your site look more professional would be to get rid of the gimmicky hit counter.

Greg
13-03-2007, 05:27 AM
one way to make your site look more professional would be to get rid of the gimmicky hit counter.x 2. If your server doesn't provide stats you can get free invisible hit counters (http://www.statcounter.com/).

johcar
13-03-2007, 09:16 AM
No favicon in IE6, Firefox yes.

Spectrum Technology has no link.Cheers - Spectrum doesn't have a web presence...

johcar
13-03-2007, 09:17 AM
x 2. If your server doesn't provide stats you can get free invisible hit counters (http://www.statcounter.com/).Cheers - I agree. I have removed the counter.

FoxyMX
13-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Favicons were supported in Internet Explorer 5.x but not in 6.x although it appears to work for some people for some strange reason. It sounds like support for favicons is back again in version 7 from the comments above, however.

The app that rogerp is referring to may be AM-Deadlink (http://www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm) but there is another program called, funnily enough, FavOrg (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Bookmark-Managers/favorg.shtml) that will manage your favicons for you.