PDA

View Full Version : Nero again

Thomas01
12-03-2007, 02:42 PM
I admit Nero and I just don't get on.
When I was using it I had nothing but trouble then switched to Roxio.
Bliss - everything did as it was expected - no problems at all.
But my new DVD burner has come with NERO.
It is a lot later than the other one I worked with and seems to have changed somewhat.
But I still have problems. I tried burning a DVD and it worked OK.
I did make sure that I had a multisession turned on but since then I just cannot get NERO to burn any more files.
I am using 8x DVD-R disks and when I try to burn more files Nero informs me that the DVD cannot be used and please put a burnable disc in.
Most irritating
Tom

radium
12-03-2007, 02:52 PM
Are you refering to using Multisession, if so
sometimes Nero's multisession table/list gets messed up as talked about eles where in this forum.

Speedy Gonzales
12-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Its most probably looking for a cdr not a dvdr for multisession.

Thats why its saying put a burnable cd in.

Misty
12-03-2007, 04:47 PM
Have a look at this thread - may be the same problem that I had a while ago !!

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=72141
Misty :cool:

Thomas01
12-03-2007, 05:06 PM
No solutions so far. I am definitely using the DVD and not CD instructions and I selected multisession.
If I put a new disk in on the same settings it works OK. It is almost as though I have selected single session!
Tom

johnd
12-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Most of the time I use k3b in Linux - but when I am forced (about once a week) to write in MS WIndows I use http://www.cdburnerxp.se/ . I too have had problems with Nero - have been using CDBurnerXP Pro since about October with no problems at all - give it a go!

Misty
12-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Is it perhaps the brand of DVD. I recently had problems with three Verbatim disks in a row. Seemed to be a faulty batch. Simply by trying a different brand everything came right. My problems spanned both Nero and Acronis on that occasion, so was definitely the DVD's and not the programs :waughh:
Misty

Thomas01
14-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Well I am learning. Hopefully some correct 'stuff'. I went back to Dick Smiths where to be honest I find the staff to be helpful and pleasant. One chappy pointed out to me that using 8x DVD-R was not the right way to go (despite one other of the staff telling me when I bought it that this was the disk I needed). These disks are intended for a write once application. Best to keep them for films etc or huge amounts of data to be stored but not updated.
For interrupted saving I should use 16x DVD+R. All seems quite logical the difference being the plus and minus signs. So I took his advice - bought some more disks - tried saving a couple of small files. Then went back later and stored a stack. This time it worked. Well almost. I ran into a problem and it actually failed to copy most of my photos - just shows the names only. But I suspect this time I was asking my computer to do too much and I need to get back onto the learning curve - perhaps a slower burning rate. At least its progress.
I would appreciate even more feedback. Its obvious I have a lot to learn about burning (and even using) DVDs.
One thing I do not know is how do the RW DVDs compare to RW CDs.
On CDs I went through the process of using RW CDs and like so many others found them almost useless - a fair number of them are stuck in my "never use again" drawer. I went onto ordinary write once CDs.
Tom

Speedy Gonzales
14-03-2007, 11:21 AM
These disks are intended for a write once application.

Correct thats what DVDR or CDR means, you can only write to them once.

And if u use the multisession option (for data) in Nero, u can add to the cd or DVD later. Until u untick the multisession option then burn it, then it finalises it.

One thing I do not know is how do the RW DVDs compare to RW CDs.

The only diff is u can put more on DVDRW's. BUT u can u add to them and format them so many times.

Thats the difference between DVD/CDR, and DVDRW and CDRW. You cant format CDR/DVDR more than once.

It depends on WHAT you plan to use a DVD/DVDRW / CDR/CDRW in/on later.

Some standalone players may not like DVDRW on CDRW for example.

In which case, you'll have to use a CDR or DVDR to burn whatever to.

And if u format either of the abovenamed, whether its DVDR, CDR, DVDRW, or CDRW for something like videos or photos (which u dont usually do, the program u use will do whats needed), most standalone DVD players wont play them either. They'll only be playable on a computer.

radium
14-03-2007, 11:25 AM
DVD-R or DVD+R discs shouldn't matter which ones you use for burning multisession discs.

DVD+R DVD-R (dvd-r is acutally said as DVD dash R not minus like a lot of people think). They are two competing technologies that use different formats. DVD+R discs allows multiple layers for one disc where as dvd-r only allows one layer.

I would stay away from DVD RW as they are as bad as CD RW

What speed were you burning at?
I don't think that lowering your burn speed will solve your problem with you photos but you could try it.
However you could probably try it again at the same speed you had before and it would work- (as far as computers go)

Speedy Gonzales
14-03-2007, 12:19 PM
They are two competing technologies that use different formats. DVD+R discs allows multiple layers for one disc where as dvd-r only allows one layer.

Errr normal DVD's have both DVD+ and -. As well.

So do dual layer DVD's.

It depends on which one u buy on whether its dual layer or not.

If you get normal DVD+r's it wont be dual layer. It'll be the same as the normal DVDR-'s.

radium
14-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Errr normal DVD's have both DVD+ and -. As well.

Thats not what I was saying with the exception of DVDRAM DVD's are either DVD+ or DVD- are they not?

Go here (http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/2279)

Also I never said that all DVD+ discs are dual layer.

But yes Speedy you are right that Dual layer DVDs come in also DVD-format, which I didn't realise

JJJJJ
14-03-2007, 01:24 PM
Nero is the biggest abortion of a program I have ever used.

I get every single complaint that Thomas gets and then some.

With multisesion selected I am always told by Nero that after I put one item on a RW- DVD that the disk is full or that it's not a writeable disk and to install it on a new disk. If I delete what's on the disk I can use it again for one item.
Sometimes Nero can't tell the difference between a CD and a DVD. Or between a re-writeable disk and a read only.

And has anyone ever tried to Uninstall Nero and then remove all the registry entries? Over 100 of them.

And I'm talking about the latest version of Nero. Admittedly the free trial version. I certainly would not consider ever buying one.

I have 8 DVD's all with one item on each. An expensive way to store anything.
And people on this forum tell me I'm mad using floppies.

Speedy Gonzales
14-03-2007, 01:40 PM
With multisession selected I am always told by Nero that after I put one item on a RW- DVD that the disk is full or that it's not a writeable disk and to install it on a new disk.

If I delete what's on the disk I can use it again for one item.

Sometimes Nero can't tell the difference between a CD and a DVD.

Or between a re-writeable disk and a read only.

This may depend on whether you've got a dvd burner and a cd burner.

If u have more than 1, u have to select the right one (and option), before u burn to it.

Otherwise, youre right Nero will complain. It may also depend on what version of Nero you're using. (Even tho youre using the latest version, are u using v6 or 7)??

I dont think all versions of Nero support DVDR or RW if you want to use the multisession option. (Well it may not even work with DVDR or RW ).

Altho, I've never used DVDRW or DVDR for multisession either, only CDR.

And has anyone ever tried to Uninstall Nero and then remove all the registry entries? Over 100 of them.

Thats what the cleantool is for on the Nero site.

Misty
14-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Sometimes Nero can't tell the difference between a CD and a DVD.
As Speedy says you have to identify to Nero at the very beginning whether you are using a DVD or CD.

Easy to get caught out by going with the default, as I and others have done - more than once ! ;)
Misty :)

Thomas01
18-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Well I started this thread so I will now add to the confusion.
Apparently the information I got from Dick Smiths was both right and wrong. The person who assured me that DVD-R was suitable for multisession was correct. The next person who sold me DVD+R as this was the only type that would accept multisession was wrong. They both accept multisession the - is older technology than the + But no matter what I did I could not get Nero to burn files and then allow me to add more.
NOW COMES THE DAFT BIT :-
I tried an alternative. Went into MY COMPUTER selected the drive and right clicked to bring up the FORMAT.
To my surprise it formated the disk in a few seconds and I thought something had gone wrong because my computer still was indicating I had a CD in the drive and not a DVD.
But it was formated. Not only was it formated but I could now drag files and folders over to my hearts content. It acted just like the old floppies did.
I whacked over a massive amount of data and it was all perfect.
So why on earth do I need NERO cluttering up my computer? I don't seem to need anything - or does the computer use NERO behind my back?
To say I am both delighted and amazed is putting it bluntly - comments and instructions please.
Tom

Speedy Gonzales
18-03-2007, 04:28 PM
Well XP can drop and drag, but its limited in what it can do.

It cant do everything, something like Nero or other programs can do.

Its fine dropping and dragging, if u dont want it to work in anything other than on a PC.

Thomas01
19-03-2007, 09:59 AM
Well XP can drop and drag, but its limited in what it can do.

It cant do everything, something like Nero or other programs can do.

Its fine dropping and dragging, if u dont want it to work in anything other than on a PC.

Speedy to my rescue once again. Thanks. Now can you add more. The only reason I bought my new DVD burner was so that I could watch films and use DVDs for backup.
Well its all OK now.
But your mention of NERO being able to do more has me even more confused. NERO I have found in the past to be just a useless bugbear, but obviously some must use it.
I think I have begun to sort out what you are saying. If I use NERO I can save stuff to a DVD that can be used on a TV. or CD player (right?)
Well I do know I have used ROXIO to copy the odd music CD (burning) - worked fine.

To copy films are you saying I need NERO to burn onto a DVD that can be read by our DVD player? Why can't I just copy. I have so far never felt the inclination to copy a film DVD so this question is a bit theoretical for me.

To make a photo DVD to be shown on TV I presume needs a bit more technology than I have used in the past. Can NERO do this (remembering that so far NERO has not been able to burn a DVD for me that allows me access to look at the photos).
I must admit that having the ability to burn a DVD of photos that my computerless relatives in the UK could see on a DVD player would be a big plus.
Gosh I could even bore them with lots of holiday snaps.
Tom

Speedy Gonzales
19-03-2007, 10:17 AM
If I use NERO I can save stuff to a DVD that can be used on a TV. or CD player (right?)

If you do it properly, yup. BUT if u format a cd or DVD, before you burn video (or even MP3's if u do an Audio CD) to it.

It wont usually work in a standalone DVD player. It wont be able to read it. As youre not meant to format them. The program you use will do whatever so it works.

BUT if you mean copying data to a DVD, I've never tried copying data to a blank DVD, only CDR.

To copy films are you saying I need NERO to burn onto a DVD that can be read by our DVD player? Why can't I just copy.

Depends what the DVD is. If its a movie theyre copy protected. So, arent that easy to copy. You have to rip it first then burn it back to a DVD.

I wont go too far here, as some of the steps are against the forum rules.

To make a photo DVD to be shown on TV I presume needs a bit more technology than I have used in the past. Can NERO do this (remembering that so far NERO has not been able to burn a DVD for me that allows me access to look at the photos).

Nerovision (part of Nero, not NERO) will let u burn to DVD and make photo cds/dvd's/video cd's. BUT some of the options in Nerovision need a plugin or a serial (which arent free).

So if you dont buy the plugin or have a serial to activate these options, you wont be able to do either.

Or you'll have to buy a program that does the same thing as Nero, like some Ulead program, that lets you burn to DVD without you having to buy the plugin to make it work.

XP can as you found out use drop and drag to burn to a cd. It doesnt normally support burning to DVD however. Thats why Media player has a rip option. You can rip music cd's with it. And burn to cd with it.

Thomas01
20-03-2007, 02:13 PM
Well I am still learning. But the most important lesson I think I have learned is that I should not try to know everything - I don't have the need for it - but as I can now use my DVDs for what I bought them for I should be satisfied.
The only thing that bothers me is that because I was misled by Dick Smiths a bit at first I now have quite a lot of blank DVDs which will last for ages and ages. In fact I will probably have some still left when I decide its time to get into Blu Ray. More problems.
Tom

RealBigDog
20-03-2007, 02:27 PM
On the photo cd/dvd, I just burn them as a data cd/dvd and my dvd player reads them no problem.

Maybe you need something special for menus or something?

If your dvd player plays divx movies, that's what you want to burn--you can get 4 divx movies on a standard dvd disc (1 GB each).

On Nero, I use a recent version, just starting with the start smart since I'm finished with tweeking settings, and it works great. However, I quit fooling around with multi-session discs a long time ago after losing some data that way, and with blank discs cheap now, ít's not worth the worry.

Speedy Gonzales
20-03-2007, 02:32 PM
On the photo cd/dvd, I just burn them as a data cd/dvd and my dvd player reads them no problem.

What DVD? The one on the PC I take it??

I doubt it'll work on a standalone dvd player.

No you dont need anything special for menus. Thats what Nerovision has (u can make menus for DVDs u make up).

Nerovision (if u have the right plugins) will most convert most formats to DVD format (even Divx). Then whatever you burn with it, will play in a standalone dvd player.

RealBigDog
20-03-2007, 03:02 PM
What DVD? The one on the PC I take it??

I doubt it'll work on a standalone dvd player.

No you dont need anything special for menus. Thats what Nerovision has (u can make menus for DVDs u make up).

Nerovision (if u have the right plugins) will most convert most formats to DVD format (even Divx). Then whatever you burn with it, will play in a standalone dvd player.

Yes, any recent standalone dvd player will read jpg's on a dvd, but they might need to be in the root directory of the dvd.

Many recent dvd players will read divx files in the root directory, but they will need an .avi extension rather than .divx extension.

Many recent dvd players also have usb and sdcard readers which will do the same.

Speedy Gonzales
20-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Yer I know most dvd players can read jpg. But depending on how u burn them to the dvd in the first place. They can be in any order u want or even in a slideshow.

I know some not all dvd players can read divx as well. But nothing wrong with converting them to dvd format either. If u have a program to do it why not use it.

Thomas01
20-03-2007, 05:47 PM

Maybe you need something special for menus or something?

If your dvd player plays divx movies, that's what you want to burn--you can get 4 divx movies on a standard dvd disc (1 GB each).

On Nero, I use a recent version, just starting with the start smart since I'm finished with tweeking settings, and it works great. However, I quit fooling around with multi-session discs a long time ago after losing some data that way, and with blank discs cheap now, ít's not worth the worry.

I think we are talking about different items here.
(1)The DVD player attached to my computer reads the Data disks no problem.
(2) The DVD player attached to our TV will not of course read them.
(3) As I mentioned in my last entry I really have no interest in copying films.
I just haven't much interest anyway in films. The thought of having 4 films on one DVD fills me with horror.
(4) I don't see much point in using NERO to burn disks as it is extremely unreliable, just doesn't burn everything it should, and apparently will only burn the disk once with most people whereas formatting the disks and just dragging over (I always use TOTAL Commander) is extremely rapid safe and reliable - and multi sessions work perfectly - so far I have not been able to find a fault on any of my files (I may live to regret that statement).
(5) I assume when you mention multi-session disks you are meaning RW disks. After all all disks are capable of multi session (unless using NERO).
I do know my experience with RW CDs was horrendous and so I intend never to try DVD RW disks. Like you I will use 'write once' disks only. (But multi session).
I must admit being able to turn out DVD disks that could be used on an ordinary DVD player attached to a TV would be quite something - but am a bit dubious as to its possibility.
Tom

Speedy Gonzales
20-03-2007, 06:10 PM
(1)The DVD player attached to my computer reads the Data disks no problem.

Most should thats why most have internal DVD players. They SHOULD read cd and dvd. If it doesnt it has a prob.

(2) The DVD player attached to our TV will not of course read them.

Well it wont read them if u do data dvds or cd's. They werent made to read them, only movies thats are on dvd, audio cd's and maybe picture cd's.

Or whatever format/s it supports.

It also depends on WHAT kind of burner you have. Even the videos I burn to DVD dont work on EVERY standalone DVD. I think this has something to do with bitsetting.

(3) As I mentioned in my last entry I really have no interest in copying films.
I just haven't much interest anyway in films. The thought of having 4 films on one DVD fills me with horror.

Depending on how big the videos / whatever u burn to DVD, you wont get 4 films on DVD. Unless you have one of the latest burners.

(4) I don't see much point in using NERO to burn disks as it is extremely unreliable, just doesn't burn everything it should, and apparently will only burn the disk once with most people whereas formatting the disks

Nothing wrong with Nero. If u do it right it'll work. Thats why theyre called CDR and DVDR. They werent made, so u can format them over and over again. Thats what the RW's are for.

If you prefer Total commander whatever it is go for it.

I must admit being able to turn out DVD disks that could be used on an ordinary DVD player attached to a TV would be quite something - but am a bit dubious as to its possibility.

As I said above, it depends on what kind of burner it is, as not all burners support bitsetting. This is what determines whether it will work (the DVD you burn) on every single DVD player.

I've never had a prob with Nero, and yup, I've come across a few DVD's I've done, that wont work in all DVD players. BUT all of them have played on the DVD player here.

And,I would say no matter what program you use, I doubt every single DVD u burn, would work in every single standalone DVD player. Well it may do if the burner supports bitsetting.

Thomas01
21-03-2007, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE=Speedy Gonzales;

If you prefer Total commander whatever it is go for it.

QUOTE]

I get the feeling that there are a great many people out there not familiar with Total Commander so perhaps a short description of it could be helpful.
It is a program that does what EXPLORER is usually used for. The difference is that it has two screens side by side. Selecting what each screen uses as its basis (ie drive a c d e f g i - that's what I have) is a doddle. It has many menu driven tools also. At one time it was known as WINDOWS COMMANDER and may still be available on some shareware sites under that title. Dragging and dropping files from one drive to another is amazingly simple.
Being able to see instantly what is on any two drives is a great plus.
Every single person I know who uses it (and there are a lot) rates it as indispensable - miles better than anything else and one of their most used and best programs.
I couldn't live without it and when I get my laptop back from having its faulty hard drive replaced TOTAL CMDR will be the first program I put back on it.
I must also boast a little. My laptop was fully backed up when it went down so the replacement will come back to me as a computer virgin.
Great fun putting everything back
Tom

Speedy Gonzales
21-03-2007, 10:53 AM
Sounds similar to Directory Opus.

Which was originally for the Amiga. But ported to PC.

You had 2 windows, and can have plugins like TC.

And this can also be configured to replace Windows Explorer / My computer.