PDA

View Full Version : Download managers - any use?

Greg
12-03-2007, 08:01 AM
I've never used a download manager - never seen the point, even after downloading some multi-gig files from time to time. But are they really useful? I've been looking at Free Download Manager (http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/) after a recommendation. Are all the claims valid?

Speedy Gonzales
12-03-2007, 08:28 AM
Some arent too bad, but some sites will refuse to let u download using one of them too. You have to quit it, before u can download a file.

Trev
12-03-2007, 08:45 AM
Yes some let you download from multiple servers eg. you are D/L a big file and it is only going at 50kb, and if you hook up to 3 other servers you would have a speed of about 200kb. Also they have a resume function which lets you stop and start the download without loseing what you have already downloaded. Most sites support this.

Trevor :)

Brooko
12-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Greg,

I use Free Download Manager currently. Have found it pretty good - especially for a free program. Downloads do seem to be a lot quicker. From what I can see, it breaks the download into 4 parts, downloads the 4 streams simultaneously, then pieces them back together when complete. It picks up clicks within IE and Firefox. Best feature is resuming & tells you if site supports resuming as well - so no guess work. I started using it for downloading linux iso cds (~ 600mb) and it's worked perfectly. Based on what I've seen so far, I'd recommend trying it.

lazydog
12-03-2007, 03:46 PM
I use Free Download Manager.
Works good.

I use the FlashGot extension for Firefox with it.

Dannz
12-03-2007, 03:50 PM
I used download managers on dialup, and had forgotten about the multi-server download. I must remember next time im stuck on a slow mirror.... and use 4 slow mirrors at once....

pcuser42
12-03-2007, 04:06 PM
I use Free Download Manager - but be careful, if you click a link to download and it takes you to a page to download automatically, FDM downloads the PHP file. Cancel that and IE/Firefox's download and click the direct link. You have been warned.

Antmannz
12-03-2007, 05:35 PM
I use the Firefox plugin DownThemAll (http://www.downthemall.net).

Does file-splitting, resuming, etc. and saves having to have a separate program running.

somebody
12-03-2007, 05:39 PM
I've been using Flashget for years, and it's really good - get the "Flashgot" plugin for Firefox too.

PedalSlammer
12-03-2007, 05:47 PM
I've been using Flashget for years, and it's really good - get the "Flashgot" plugin for Firefox too. FlashGEt is a virus program which I've been running for around 4 yrs too. Now I'm using DAP, cool downloading manager afterall if you need it for downloading Kubuntu which is a whole DVD and havn't finished downloading it yet.

tweak'e
12-03-2007, 07:27 PM
FlashGEt is a virus program o bollocks, where do you get that crap from.

some of the anti spyware programs target varioius downloaders due to their advertising or their url sharing service (which you can turn off).

DAP has been on and off the spyware list many times.

flashget is quite good tho i have had problems with the latest ver.
getright is very good tho i little different from the others.

Metla
12-03-2007, 07:53 PM
I have found that Flashget can get me speeds 5 or 6 times faster from the same serverr then if I don't use it.

Makes a big difference on large files....

Neil McC
12-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Been using Flashget for years.Have stuck with the 1.73 version as I have problems running the latest.

tweak'e, have you tried the latest FlashGet 1.8.1.1002? I had it freezing up on me near the end and wanting to redownload.

tweak'e
12-03-2007, 08:45 PM
nah just the 1.8.1.1001 version, had frezzing issues when downloading files with it.