PDA

View Full Version : Removable Device Un-mounting

justinsg
10-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Hey

I frequently use up to 2 removable devices into my Windows 2000 5.0 SP4 computer and I was wondering whether or not I would somehow be able to create an 'Un-Mount' shortcut. I ams sick of having to go down to the bottom of the screen, right-click and go through all of the menus to un-mount it.
Is There a Faster Way?

Justinsg

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Right mouse on them in Windows Explorer/My computer, whatever Win 2K uses, and select eject. If its there. It does the same thing.

justinsg
10-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Yeah. I can do that but i was wondering if there was a way that i could make a shortcut (like on the desktop) to it. It would be good if I could do it without leaving the desktop or opening anything because my computer only has 128MB ram...

thanks anyway 'speedy gonzales'
justinsg

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2007, 06:22 PM
I just found out. Right mouse on whatever letter the removable drive is, and select create shortcut, it'll put a shortcut on the desktop.

Then use the icon on the desktop / eject. It works on the Ipod here.

justinsg
10-03-2007, 06:42 PM
No. Sorry to dissapoint you but that didn't work. I created a shortcut to it on the dektop, then right-clicked it and selected 'Eject'. I then pulled it out after 10 seconds and it told me that it was an unsafe removal of the device.
Any other suggestions?

Justinsg

PS. What OS do you use 'Speedy Gonzales'?

winmacguy
10-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Did it tell you it was safe to eject before you disconnected it. I did that to my 5th Gen iPod on the WinNT machine at my dad's work ( I just unplugged and it gave me the error message) it didn't seem to have any damage to my iPod. I have iTunes on XP at home so ejecting is no problem.

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2007, 06:53 PM
I'm using XP.

Yup did u wait for it to say it was safe to remove. Or didnt it say this?

Thats the only way I know of, how to create a shortcut to the desktop.

justinsg
10-03-2007, 06:54 PM
No. it didn't but it was making no sign of even thinking about telling me that. yeah it doesn't make any damage to your device as long as nothing is using it so i guess thats one way, but i would like to be able to do it 'safely'.

Thanks anyway
Justinsg

FoxyMX
10-03-2007, 07:14 PM
In Win XP I don't need to right-click and go through the menu to unmount USB drives, all I do is left-click once on the icon then choose which drive I wanted unmounted.

Can Win 2000 do the same?

justinsg
10-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Thanks for all of this guys. I will experiment over tonight/tomorrow and then login again tomorrow sometime to check this thread out.
Thanks
Justinsg

beeswax34
10-03-2007, 11:46 PM
Yeah, just left click on that icon that comes on your taskbar and it will simply have a small balloon for all the plugged-in USB drives. No need to right-click, create shortcuts or go to My Computer.

justinsg
11-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks for all of these tips. i will go forward and keep using the left-click eject on the taskbar option.
thanks again

Justinsg :-)