PDA

View Full Version : PC Company

Scouse
09-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Elderly friend has trouble with a Windows XP Home, Worksuite 2002 system purchased, she says, from PC Company. Appears not to have an original Windows CD. I will be going round to have a look over the weekend but have not previously handled a system without its original discs. If the vendor placed a copy of the operating system on this machine, where would it likely to be? Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Most probably on a hidden partition somewhere.

How u restore the system if u had to I have no idea.

It may have an option on bootup what F key, you have to press to restore it.

Or let u copy the files to CD.

Scouse
09-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Hi Speedy. Thanks for prompt reply. This all started when she asked my advice about activating backup in XP Home and I told her to copy the programme from her original CD....... Hopefully, if I can find the hidden drive I will be able to copy and activate the backup and we'll take it from there.

Graham L
09-03-2007, 05:48 PM
At least some PC Company machines came with a Restore CD.

Greville
09-03-2007, 05:52 PM
All PC Company PC's shipped with a Recovery Disk that is a standard Windows CD, just with a different label and partially automated install.

You should be able to install the backup program as you would with a standard Windows CD.

Cheers, Grev

Neil McC
09-03-2007, 08:15 PM
Just been through this with my s-in-law's pc.Found the recovery folder named I386. You might have to right click/properties and change the folder to not hidden,something like that.
And here's the page I found that helped me to convert the folder to a bootable disc.
http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/BartPEGuide/BartPEGuide.htm
Have the XPSP2 disc I made running on this pc in Virtual PC, just to check that it works!

trig42
10-03-2007, 06:44 AM
If you have an XP Home CD, it will work fine in her computer if she needs to install something off that CD. It will also work with her key if you need to reinstall Windows.