PDA

View Full Version : changing screen resolution in Linux

ronyville
08-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Hi, I got Fedora Core 6 installed and when I initially installed the OS, it gave me a range of screen resolution to choose from but now I only get two options, the highest being 800x600, I would like to keep it at 1024x768 as I chose earlier. but for some reason that option is not there anymore.. any help would be appreciated. Even when I log in as root, it still doesnt show the higher resolutions as before.

cheers
ron

Jen
08-03-2007, 09:40 PM
What are you using to change the resolution? Have you tried ALT-F2 system-config-display? What is your colour depth?

ronyville
08-03-2007, 09:46 PM
I went to system>preference and system>administration>display
The color depth is thousands but even when I choose millions, makes no difference.. should i log out and try again if i change it from thousands to millions??

Chilling_Silence
08-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Try "krandr" in the KDE menu (If its what you're running). Gives a little systray app similar to back in the days of '98 when it sat down by the Clock :)

ronyville
08-03-2007, 09:58 PM
I cant see the whole screen but when I move the mouse to the left or right of the monitor.. the whole screen moves :help:

ronyville
08-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Try "krandr" in the KDE menu (If its what you're running). Gives a little systray app similar to back in the days of '98 when it sat down by the Clock :)

Could you please provide a little more help on how/where to run this "krandr". I tried it in ALT+F2 but nothing happened.. Also tried "krandrtray" and yes I m running KDE desktop.

Jen
08-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Whip open a Konsole window as a user (no need to be root) and enter in this:

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Post back here with the output. xorg.conf is what specifies how X behaves.

ronyville
08-03-2007, 10:19 PM
# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "single head configuration"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "sis"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 16
Modes "800x600"
EndSubSection
EndSection

I tried changing the modes form 800x600 to 1024X768.. didnt really work..

Jen
08-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Your xorg looks wrong. It should be much larger than that. Did you post it all or just the screen parts?

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 16
Modes "800x600"
EndSubSection
EndSection

That section highlighted in red is missing the Modes line, yet it is set as default.

Try this:
Open up a Konsole window and su - to root. Then enter in:
kwrite /etc/X11/xorg.conf

It should open up with the contents of xorg.conf. Now go File > Save As and save it as "xorg.conf-backup". Close Kwrite. Now in the Konsole window use the up arrow once to recall that last command and push enter. This will open up xorg.conf again. Having made a backup file you can now edit this one. Go down to the section I highlighted in red and add the part in blue. Make sure you follow the case sensitivity and all white spaces as shown:

SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768" "800x600"
EndSubSection

Now save the file. Log out of KDE and then relog in again. This will cause X to re-read the modified xorg.conf file. Hopefully you will now have 1024x768.

Let us know how you get on.

ronyville
09-03-2007, 08:36 AM
I tried that but still i dont get the higher resolution, I m sure that its me whos doing something wrong somewhere, I got uni now but will try again when i get back home..

dolby digital
09-03-2007, 11:17 AM
What sort of video card/monitor are you using? Usually FC is pretty good at detecting your video hardware.

ronyville
09-03-2007, 12:53 PM
Just fixed it!!!... like i said b4.. its me whos doin something wrong somewhere, I just went to the display setting>hardware>monitor type and checked the monitor that I m using "Dell P990", and after I logged back in again.. I got all my resolution options back again..

Thanks for yr help people. :thumbs: