PDA

View Full Version : Connect to a Mac from Windows XP

teszeract
08-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Hi

On the surface it seems simple to me, but I just cannot find the way to do it. We run an office full of Macs, and have one Windows PC with XP.

I want to connect to a computer with an IP of 192.168.1.2 and pull off a few files. I don't want to create a shortcut or anything to the the Mac - so I don't want to permanently "Map" the drive. There must be a "Connect to computer with IP address" option? i've looked and looked.

Thanks in advance

SolMiester
08-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Try from explorer tools>map network drive. then in address bar put \\192.168.1.2\sharename.

However i'm sure you have to install an extra protocol on your network card to talk apples to the mac...hehe

teszeract
08-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Thanks. That worked. Didn't look like extra protocols were needed.

winmacguy
08-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Are you running OS 9 in your office or OS X?
Reason I ask is that Apple talk was a difficult little devil to connect to PCs hence SolMeister's comment where as OS X is pretty straight forward since it uses standard TCP/IP networking protocols.

teszeract
09-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Gee, I don't even have OS9 installed for legacy stuff anymore. About 2 years ago, I killed OS9 on all but one of my Macs.

I have to say, it was unintuitive trying to make the connection from the XP box - there are just too many options that are all arcane sounding.

winmacguy
09-03-2007, 04:12 PM
I think pretty much everybody got over OS9 by the time 10.3 came out but I didn't want to assume anything. From previous experience it is easier to go Mac to XP than XP to Mac.