PDA

View Full Version : Doing search on this site

Paul Camford
06-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Hello to whoever is in charge here.
I went to do a search from the PressF1 site.
I had to enter a combination of letter and numbers to identify myself as a real person rather than a spam robot.
I failed to get the correct sequence twice so I presume I must be a spam robot!
The first time there was some funny looking squiggle thing at the end of the combination that I could not get.
The second time one letter was obscured by the background, impossible to read.
Too hard guys
You have to improve this

Paul

bob_doe_nz
06-03-2007, 06:00 PM
What were you searching?

Paul Camford
06-03-2007, 06:19 PM
I was searching for Seagate drives .
I can also add that I have struck these letter/ number box,s on Yahoo Groups
and Rapidshare and they have not caused a problem to me.But then I dont think
that they have the colored background that Press1 has.
I think thats what makes it hard to read, at least for me

stu161204
06-03-2007, 07:23 PM
I had to enter a combination of letter and numbers to identify myself as a real person rather than a spam robot.

I guess this was when you did a search as a guest user?

The second time one letter was obscured by the background, impossible to read.
Too hard guys
You have to improve this

As some one who has a few forums & deals with spam bots on a daily bases, there has to be a trade off in blocking spam bots & possible of a user not been able to read the code, (Plus you can refresh the image to get a different code that you may be able to read)

PS: I think the Image Verification; images may be built in to vBulletin so it may be hard for the PC world forum admin to change them with out doing a lot of hacking of the vBulletin code, which in turn make upgrading vBulletin hardů

My :2cents:

Terry Porritt
06-03-2007, 07:38 PM
I often get it wrong too and have to keep trying, the characters are often illegible.

FoxyMX
06-03-2007, 08:47 PM
The solution is easy - do the search whilst logged in and you don't get asked to enter any code. The code is only there for those not logged in.

Laura
06-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks, Foxy, for cutting through all the verbiage with a simple explanation for people like me.

By that, I mean I hadn't the faintest idea what this "combination" stuff was all about.
Like - what have I been missing..?

A simple tick keeps me always logged in. Why not?
And Search is a piece of cake.

Greg
06-03-2007, 10:32 PM
Laura - the above posts should be self-explanatory. If you're not logged in you're required to take the anti-spambot test in order to do a search by entering a code that is partially masked. Try it to see. It's quite cool to see the variety of weird and colourful things that various forum designers come up with. :thumbs: