PDA

View Full Version : Laptops not seeing the Wireless Router.

turtle63
05-03-2007, 09:09 PM
:illogical
I have a site that I have just put in a Wireless Router from Xtra, have to say it is the 3rd one received as the first one didn't work and the second one was definetly not new so third time lucky. (Have to say this is the second client that this has happened too, not Xtra's fault).
The Router is connected to the only PC in the place, there is 1 other Toshiba Laptop that will connect wirelessly to it not a problem.
The other 3 Laptops in the place will not even see the Wireless network let alone connect, it had the xtra guy bafled as well.
All the Laptops are different form each other, the only common denominator is the Atheros AR5004G Wirless adapter.
Has anyone had any problems with this adapter and what could I possibly do to sort this, I am baffled as well.
Yes the Driver could be and issue and will try that at some point but dosn't seem like that?

Any ideas would apreciated, it just dosn't make sense....

Cheers Turtle

turtle63
06-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Just thought I would post that have had a good reply from the Geekzone.co.nz forum site which could be helpful if anyone else comes across this issue.
I don't know if this will fix the issue but will try in the next few days and will post back :)
They suggested a Router firmware upgrade and if that didn't work, send it back to Xtra. :)

blondini
07-03-2007, 02:01 AM
1 possibility
check that control panel > network connections > lan/high speed internet > (right clk whatever connection is there) > properties > obtain an ip address automatically is checked

berryb
07-03-2007, 08:54 AM
1. Is the wireless enabled in network devices
2. Are you using windows wireless networking or third party software that came with the cards
3. what mode are you using (B or G) and are all the cards set to work with this mode
4. what are the OS of the laptops

SolMiester
07-03-2007, 09:15 AM
What is the encryption method you are using, perhaps only the the Tosh supports it and the other 3 dont!

berryb
07-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Other thing is the SSID set to broadcast or not?

turtle63
07-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Yes to all those things, using Wep encryption due to various ages of Laptops.
They are all XP Home I think.
Using Windows Wireless networking.
They are all using obtain address automatically.
Think it is using B, which ever is the default with those DSL Routers.

rogerp
07-03-2007, 02:38 PM

Well if it is B, and the laptops are G, then that is the reason. Your router would also need to be G.

turtle63
07-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Thanks and will check that for sure when I go back on site tomorrow, but can't see that is the problem, I know what your saying tho.
Dlink have sent me the link to download new firmware, but Xtra are saying if it screws it up it will void the warranty.
Your damned if you do and damned if you don't so to speak. :(

SolMiester
07-03-2007, 09:02 PM
You dont need to flash the router, it works as stated the Tosh connects ok

SolMiester
07-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Sounds like there are other users with same problem, just investigating!

SolMiester
07-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Set the router to open connection for now in order to try connections 1st as in no encryption.

The router will prolly support both B & G, just make sure its set to mixed!

SolMiester
07-03-2007, 09:18 PM

Just noticed this...'B', the Atheros AR5004G Wirless adapter is G wireless so make sure you have either mixed or G enabled