PDA

View Full Version : delete that hyberfil file and save 1 gigabyte ?

hotkiwi
04-03-2007, 03:25 PM
After this months article in PCWORLD about efficiency of Windows and cleaning up my computer, I also see that the hyberfil file, stored in the rootdirectory of my C: drive eats more than 1 gig out of my resources.
can I delete it? If yes, how to do it, and Windows will not let me delete it, saying it is an essential system file.

Cheers

Johan

Speedy Gonzales
04-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Disable hibernation.

FoxyMX
04-03-2007, 03:43 PM
And if it is still there after disabling Hibernation and rebooting use SpaceMonger to delete it.

Chilling_Silence
04-03-2007, 07:01 PM
It shouldnt be there after you disable Hibernation, it'll be deleted immediately.

Right-click on a blank part of your Desktop somewhere and click Properties
Click on the Screensaver Tab
Click on Power Management
Click on Hibernation
Un-tick "enable hibernation"

Just going by memory, not using windows ATM... but thats roughly how you disable Hibernation and free up the space on your HDD :)

FoxyMX
04-03-2007, 08:30 PM
It shouldnt be there after you disable Hibernation, it'll be deleted immediately.

That's what I thought but after finding this humongous file on my system once when I haven't had hibernation enabled the only way I could get rid of it was by using SpaceMonger.

Mike
07-03-2007, 06:00 PM
That's what I thought but after finding this humongous file on my system once when I haven't had hibernation enabled the only way I could get rid of it was by using SpaceMonger.You must have a pretty small HDD there Foxy if you think 1GB is a "humongous" file :lol:

Mike.

The_End_Of_Reality
07-03-2007, 06:24 PM
The size of the file depends on home much RAM you have ;)

My file size is 2GB :p

Though for me that is like peeing in a lake...

Big John
07-03-2007, 08:09 PM
You must have a pretty small HDD there Foxy if you think 1GB is a "humongous" file :lol:

Mike.

It is humongus if you only have a few MB left and are trying to save some small files. I know because the C partition of my laptop is less than 1GB free and I am trying to do an update to the software but each time it fails because it is hard coded to unpack to C: first and then save some files there. This is an 11GB partition so not sure where all the space has gone. May have to do some digging when I get a chance as it should really only have about 5GB full as per my PC's.

Chilling_Silence
07-03-2007, 10:51 PM
The size of the file depends on home much RAM you have ;)

My file size is 2GB :p

Though for me that is like peeing in a lake...

Winner: Best analogy of the day! :D

The_End_Of_Reality
08-03-2007, 08:04 AM
Winner: Best analogy of the day! :D :lol: :D Thanks :D :p

FoxyMX
09-03-2007, 06:00 PM
You must have a pretty small HDD there Foxy if you think 1GB is a "humongous" file :lol:

Yeah but Mike, we used to have 365 megabyte hard drives not all that long ago if you remember, so it's hard to accept a 1GB file sitting there wasting space. :rolleyes:

Mike
09-03-2007, 06:34 PM
Yeah but Mike, we used to have 365 megabyte hard drives not all that long ago if you remember, so it's hard to accept a 1GB file sitting there wasting space. :rolleyes:You had a drive that big???! :)

It sounds to me like you're struggling to accept change, Foxy! Your "humongous" file is less than 0.2% of my HDD space. I could understand it if it was a 2MB file on a 40MB HDD (my first computer had a pretty good proportion of RAM compared to HDD space ;))

Mike.