PDA

View Full Version : Moving HDD with XP from one computer to another.

mattv
03-03-2007, 02:17 PM
Hi there, I have two computers, a Dell with an 80G HDD with XP Home installed on it, the other a fairly old Compaq (Celeron 733MHz, 256mb Ram) with Me on it. I would like to buy a new HDD and Vista and install that in the Dell - don't imagine that will be too big a problem. What I would like to know is can I put the old 80G drive into the compaq and get XP to work, if so how. I presume the XP version on the Dell is an OEM version, I do have the original Dell discs, serial numbers etc but have never done a system install before. Obviously there are likely to be issues with drivers etc - how major might they be? Thanks in advance.

pctek
03-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Oh god. Why would you want to bother? They probably run quite well.
Upgrade the both to newer WIndows and they will bothe run like snails.

Yes you could install XP on the old one, you'd need the CD, you'd also need all the drivers. Not that hard, just take the lid off, note down all the model numbers of every piece of hardware in it and then download them from the manufacturers website.

Although why you'd want to do this beats me.

Like pulling truck trailers with your mini?

Bryan
03-03-2007, 04:58 PM
Hi Mattv.

You must have reason to do what you invisage but why not get the new HDD and put it into the Dell with the 80gb. You could then have your XP set up and then also dual boot into Vista on the newer drive.

Unless you have a real use for the older machine, you could use it as boat anchor.

mattv
04-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks for your comments.

I know the Compaq is old and may struggle a bit, but I want to keep it for the kids to use for just basic stuff. I also want to be able to have it reasonably safe online and there is not that much in the way of security software out there that is up to date but works on Me. (unless anyone has any suggestions?) Ideally I would just ditch the Compaq and get a new machine to replace the Dell but I don't have the $2k+ to make that worthwhile at the moment. The Dell is a P4 2.53MHz with a gig of ram and already has a second 160G HDD but since I have started some basic video editing on it I need more room! Both computers are networked together and I think they would would talk to each other better with the upgraded OS's as well? I have won a copy of Vista hence my desire to install that.

Can anyone offer any more detail on the steps to take to move the 80G drive?