PDA

View Full Version : ISP ripoffs?

fnphoto
03-03-2007, 09:46 AM
Are there any ISP's out there who will let you accumulate your excess monthly broadband usage? If there are I could be interested in changing.

At the moment I am with Xtra's 'Explorer plan' (5Gb) and regularly have up to 1Gb left over at the end of the month. Some months I do exceed my limit and are 'punished' for this by having my speed reduced to dial up, even though in my mind they possibly owe me (seeing as how I have already paid for it) many Gigs of left over bandwidth.
If I went into a shop where I have a credit to buy an item and was told the credit I left them last month did now not apply - surely that would be classed as theft!
What are others opinions, explanations etc on this??

--Wolf--
03-03-2007, 09:56 AM
You can try Xnet. They charge $1 for every gb you use (On top of whatever plan you're on)

Here's the link:

http://www.xnet.co.nz/hsi/

PaulD
03-03-2007, 09:57 AM
Forget any idea of having a credit.
"Any unused portion of your monthly data allowance will not be accumulated from billing period to billing period and will not be refunded."

On the other hand if you manage to exceed your cap ( I'm 130% now) they don't carryover the speed reduction into the next month.

Shortcircuit
03-03-2007, 10:31 AM
On the other hand if you manage to exceed your cap ( I'm 130% now) they don't carryover the speed reduction into the next month.

That's nice of them :D

apparition
03-03-2007, 10:32 AM
wow I'm glad I felt like reading a bit of whinging :thumbs:

I'm an xnet customer and i followed the link. Now after a phone call i have double my monthly data cap for the same money.

pctek
03-03-2007, 01:39 PM
You can try Xnet. They charge $1 for every gb you use (On top of whatever plan you're on)

Here's the link:

Just to clarify:

They have that option - choose a flexible limit instead of a set limit.
Doesn't mean you can't select a plan based on a set limit if you want to.

coldot
03-03-2007, 01:49 PM
If I went into a shop where I have a credit to buy an item and was told the credit I left them last month did now not apply - surely that would be classed as theft!
Similar to insurance - $500 pa to insure your car. At the end of the year that money is gone, even though you didn't make any claims!
And "all-you-can-eat" restaurant - pay $25 and have your meal. "I could have eaten more but had to be back at work" won't get you any refund or free feed the next day!
On account phone - $20 per month even if you leave it switched off.
I'm sure others can find more examples, but obviously you would be better served by a pay per megabyte plan.

notechyet
03-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Similar to insurance - $500 pa to insure your car. At the end of the year that money is gone, even though you didn't make any claims!
And "all-you-can-eat" restaurant - pay $25 and have your meal. "I could have eaten more but had to be back at work" won't get you any refund or free feed the next day!
On account phone - $20 per month even if you leave it switched off.
I'm sure others can find more examples, but obviously you would be better served by a pay per megabyte plan.

Sometimes the difference is in the small text. How is that compared between the two(xnet and x...)??
G

JJJJJ
04-03-2007, 06:22 AM
Use xnet. They bill you for whay you use.
And you pay after you use it,not before.
I've been with them for over a month and so far haven't paid them anything.
Waiting for my first bill

Twelvevolts
04-03-2007, 09:51 AM
Speed reductions? How primitive. I thought you Xtra people had all you could eat on an unleashed system that was xtraordinary.

I'm starting to thing Telstra Clear owe me a fee reduction for pointing out how wonderful cable is. Ah and while we're at it I'd be keen to know how you keep things down to 4 gigs a month? I'm finding my 20 gigs a month limit somewhat oppressive, so I'm hoping Telstra Clear do another double your allowance for nothing scheme soon.

robbyp
04-03-2007, 11:11 AM
Are there any ISP's out there who will let you accumulate your excess monthly broadband usage? If there are I could be interested in changing.

At the moment I am with Xtra's 'Explorer plan' (5Gb) and regularly have up to 1Gb left over at the end of the month. Some months I do exceed my limit and are 'punished' for this by having my speed reduced to dial up, even though in my mind they possibly owe me (seeing as how I have already paid for it) many Gigs of left over bandwidth.
What are others opinions, explanations etc on this??

NO, you have a quota of 'UP TO' that much bandwidth per month, whether you use it or not. It is your choice to use it - or lose it.

If you think that s theft, what about gift vouchers that expire, or vodafones prepay credit that expires if you don't use after a year and don't top it up. I believe that is not right, as both of those things you have paid cash for.

ISPs would also be overselling, so they would expect many people not to use all their bandwidth, and this is one way they can keep their prices low.

robbyp
04-03-2007, 11:12 AM

Here's the link:

Slingshot is far cheaper. $5 per 10GB, or $20 per 50GB. For some reason however they don't advertise these new prices on their website, although their website is crap.

Twelvevolts
04-03-2007, 12:35 PM
Slingshot is far cheaper. $5 per 10GB, or $20 per 50GB. For some reason however they don't advertise these new prices on their website, although their website is crap.

$20 for 50 gigs - where the hell do they advertise that????

rogerp
04-03-2007, 02:37 PM
$20 for 50 gigs - where the hell do they advertise that????

Looks like they have put their price back up in the last few days, or it was an error. Anyway it did used to be $20 per 50GB, but now it appears to be $40 per 50GB. Anyway, I managed to top up my account at the old price :)

Mike
04-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Looks like they have put their price back up in the last few days, or it was an error. Anyway it did used to be $20 per 50GB, but now it appears to be $40 per 50GB. Anyway, I managed to top up my account at the old price :)Slingshot were offering a special of half-price data until Feb 28 (for Jan and Feb only) - the prices are now back to their normal price.

Mike.

rogerp
04-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Slingshot were offering a special of half-price data until Feb 28 (for Jan and Feb only) - the prices are now back to their normal price.

Mike.

That would explain it :) I don't get their newsletters. STrange that they can afford to offer half price data for a few months, and then not promote it on their website. Makes you wonder if they are not telling the truth when they tell the media that they are making a loss with providing broadband.