PDA

View Full Version : Shut Down = Restart

Strommer
27-02-2007, 04:37 PM
When Shutdown is selected, the pc restarts! All was well for a few days after I returned the office pc that I recently upgraded (new mb, cpu, RAM; restored WinXP Home) but now it will not turn off properly. Yesterday I ran Norton Win Doctor which found some errors and the pc shutdown as normal, but today it has returned to restarting.

What would cause the pc to restart instead of shutting down?
How can it be returned to normal?

I tried a System Restore which did not fix the problem, although I could try an earlier restore point.

Instead of pulling the plug :horrified to power off, I waited until the screen turned off and pressed the Power On button (on the case, not the screen) - and that shut it down without the restart.

Graham L
27-02-2007, 04:38 PM
"Restart" is one of the options to shutdown. Somehow, that's been selected.

Strommer
27-02-2007, 07:45 PM
"Restart" is one of the options to shutdown. Somehow, that's been selected.

Yes, this is obvious.

Does anyone have a solution so the pc will shutdown properly?

Speedy Gonzales
27-02-2007, 07:49 PM
If its on a LAN, see if wake on lan is enabled in the BIOS. If it is disable it.

Strommer
27-02-2007, 07:55 PM
If you mean LAN as in being connected to other pc's, then no.
But I do remember seeing the BIOS setting that you are referring to, so I will check. Thanks.

Speedy, maybe when I did the regedit to disable balloon tips, I screwed something up. I'll check the registry to see if I can find the first edit that I did - it did not work so maybe I wrote it wrong. A long shot, I know.

Speedy Gonzales
27-02-2007, 08:17 PM
It shouldnt affect anything, what u did in regedit, if you didnt go anywhere else besides the ballonstip entry.

Under the power options in control panel on this PC, whats under the advanced tab??

Does it have anything like when u shut down it restarts or something?

It could even be an option in the BIOS thats doing this.

Under power management if this option is there.

Strommer
27-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Under the power options in control panel on this PC, whats under the advanced tab??

Does it have anything like when u shut down it restarts or something?

It could even be an option in the BIOS thats doing this.

Under power management if this option is there.

Control Panel - Power Options ... this is the first thing that I checked. Cannot recall exactly whats there but it looked OK (nothing that would indicate restarting), but will look again. Same with BIOS - could not see anything that would restart it. I suppose that I could simply select "default settings" or whatever that option(s) is called. Will go back and write a few things down and post here.

pctek
28-02-2007, 06:51 AM
Have a read:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320299

and various weird reasons here:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1008024420

And I'd stop using Nortons Win Doctor and its other hopeless utilities.

borax
28-02-2007, 07:27 AM
I had this problem. It turned out that the winlogon.exe was corrupt. I found a new copy, replaced the old one with it and hey presto, good as gold

Strommer
28-02-2007, 07:34 AM
pctek - perfect! I have read all that info and will try today. Thanks.

Strommer
28-02-2007, 07:35 AM
I had this problem. It turned out that the winlogon.exe was corrupt. I found a new copy, replaced the old one with it and hey presto, good as gold

Borax, did you copy winlogon.exe from another pc?

trig42
28-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Steve, did you do a new install of windows or did you just transfer the old version when you transfered hard drives?

If you just transfered, this could be one of those 'weird' things that happens when you don't do a fresh install. It's quite likely to do with the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL), which will be different on the new board.

Strommer
28-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Steve, did you do a new install of windows or did you just transfer the old version when you transfered hard drives?

If you just transfered, this could be one of those 'weird' things that happens when you don't do a fresh install. It's quite likely to do with the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL), which will be different on the new board.

Hi Trig, it is not a fresh install. I used a Recovery CD that accessed a hd partition with restore data on it.

Never heard of HAL. Keep in mind that after the mb cpu ram upgrade the pc did shutdown properly for several days. Is this in line with HAL problems?

Read my next post, below, to pctek and borax. You will see that I may have to do a fresh install.

Strommer
28-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Have a read:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320299
and various weird reasons here:
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1008024420

borax - I found a newer winlogon.exe file (within Windows), copied and pasted it into System32, but this also did not work. I did not yet try using the winlogon.exe file from my home pc (not sure if these files can be taken from one pc to another).

pctek, I printed those pages and have spent well over an hour doing everything mentioned on those two sites, but nothing works.
I probably set a new record for the number of time a pc is restarted...:groan:

Went into the BIOS and made numerous changes, including Reset to Default Settings, and Optimized Settings. Also changed (in Power Management) Switch Function, and Hot Key Function, and even ACPI Suspend Type (from S3[STR] to SI (POS). Cannot recall other changes that I made in the BIOS. Could not see any Plug and Play options.

Went into msconfig > startup and turned off everything except the basics.

Went to Control Panel >> Power Managment.
No APM tab, but others have reported this.
Hibernation not ticked. Nothing else shown that would indicate the problem.

I did not do the 'write debugging information' as in the MS pages, since it said it was for an unexpected shutdown and restart with a critical error (not the usual Shutdown to turn pc off).

System Restore would not allow an earlier restore point to be made.

So where does this lead to now???? This sure is a persistent bugger of a problem!

I did make an Acronis drive image before the restart problem began, but remember that all was fine and the shutdown > restart problem just started happening. But it is easy and quick to do revert to an Acronis image so I will do this prior to a fresh install of WinXP... if there are no :waughh: other options.

Strommer
01-03-2007, 07:52 AM
Before I jump to do a reformat :badpc: and reinstall WinXP, is there anything else that I can do
to stop the pc from restarting when being shutdown?

Here are some msconfig screenshots. Anything problematical here?

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Services1.jpg

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Services2_.jpg

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Services3.jpg

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/SysConfig_startup_.jpg

Under msconfig SERVICES, how can any of the Services be stopped or started again?
If a box is unticked does that stop it?

thanks

Strommer
01-03-2007, 07:56 AM
borax - I found a newer winlogon.exe file (within Windows), copied and pasted it into System32, but this also did not work. I did not yet try using the winlogon.exe file from my home pc (not sure if these files can be taken from one pc to another).

Can winlogon.exe be used from another pc ?

Speedy Gonzales
01-03-2007, 08:02 AM
Dont stop or start services in msconfig.

It should be done in control panel / admin tools / services.

What does Norton Protection Centre Service do?? Whats this program?

Also check the BIOS see if PME Event Wake Up is under power management. If its there, and on disable it.

borax
01-03-2007, 08:15 AM
Can winlogon.exe be used from another pc ?

I copied it from a different machine. They were both running Windows XP.

Strommer
01-03-2007, 08:22 AM
Dont stop or start services in msconfig.

It should be done in control panel / admin tools / services.

What does Norton Protection Centre Service do?? Whats this program?

Thanks for the reminder.

Nortons - don't know. NAVirus is not installed so its probably linked to WinDoctor or something. The only time I have ever noticed it working is on my desktop here at home - it produced an error message which I got rid of via a google search. Actually I dislike Norton products but at the risk of getting rubbished, WinDoc has been useful at times. When I find an alternative to WinDoc, I'll get rid of Nortons - maybe Registry Mechanic - doesn't have to be a freebie.

Don't want to hijack my own thread, though, so any other ideas on the auto-restart problem? There is something in the BIOS about 'Wake' or 'Wake Up', so I may try disabling that if it is enabled.

Strommer
01-03-2007, 08:23 AM
I copied it from a different machine. They were both running Windows XP.

Thanks, I will try that later this morning.

Speedy Gonzales
01-03-2007, 08:29 AM
It looks like some programs can also stop a computer shutting down properly too.

Try exiting that Nortons program whatever it is. Then shut down, see if it shuts down then.

I would say its either a setting in the BIOS somewhere.

So which mobo is this again?? I cant remember :D

Strommer
01-03-2007, 08:39 AM
It looks like some programs can also stop a computer shutting down properly too.

Try exiting that Nortons program whatever it is. Then shut down, see if it shuts down then.

I would say its either a setting in the BIOS somewhere.

So which mobo is this again?? I cant remember :D

Foxconn 760GXK8MC

I'll turn off Nortons >> control panel / admin tools / services.

Speedy Gonzales
01-03-2007, 09:01 AM
Ok just got the manual, as stated in the manual, it says:

You have to press the power button for more than 4 secs, if u change the default instant-off setting to delay 4 seconds for the soft off by power button option in the bios power management setup. Whats this option on??

It like like there is a PM Wake up events in the BIOS, disable this.

Change the ACPI suspend type to the default, whatever this is.

Strommer
01-03-2007, 09:04 AM
>> control panel / admin tools / services

On the Recovery tab, I see a selection under First (etc) Failure: Restart the Computer. When I get to the office pc, I guess I could check this area to see if "Restart" is selected.

Strommer
01-03-2007, 09:08 AM
Ok just got the manual, as stated in the manual, it says:

You have to press the power button for more than 4 secs, if u change the default instant-off setting to delay 4 seconds for the soft off by power button option in the bios power management setup. Whats this option on??

It like like there is a PM Wake up events in the BIOS, disable this.

Change the ACPI suspend type to the default, whatever this is.

You are amazing, Speedy! :cool:
Will check and get back here this afternoon.

I do not understand what is meant by this:
...but I guess it will make sense when I go into the BIOS.

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
01-03-2007, 09:10 AM
>> control panel / admin tools / services

On the Recovery tab, I see a selection under First (etc) Failure: Restart the Computer. When I get to the office pc, I guess I could check this area to see if "Restart" is selected.

No this is only if a service whatever it is stops, u change it to restart the service. Which saves u going to services all the time to restart it.

Which is what I had to do with ZA and NIS often, coz their proxy service stopped often, and it stopped me from using/browsing the net.

Nothing to do with shutting down or restarting the pc itself.

Strommer
01-03-2007, 09:16 AM
No this is only if a service whatever it is stops, u change it to restart the service. Which saves u going to services all the time to restart it.

Nothing to do with shutting down or restarting the pc itself.

You must know, but I wonder why then there is another option that says "Restart the Service".

"Restart the Computer" is a separate option.

Speedy Gonzales
01-03-2007, 09:18 AM
You are amazing, Speedy! :cool:
Will check and get back here this afternoon.

I do not understand what is meant by this:
...but I guess it will make sense when I go into the BIOS.

Thanks.

I think that means, (the 4 secs bit), it wont turn off at all, you have to press the on/off button on the case hold it down for 4 secs then the system will turn off.

The instant off option must be an option, under the power management tab, select it if its there.

Speedy Gonzales
01-03-2007, 09:21 AM
You must know, but I wonder why then there is another option that says "Restart the Service".

"Restart the Computer" is a separate option.

Yup restart the computer is a diff option, but that only applies to a service that stops, then it'll restart the computer.

ie: If that Nortons program, or a firewall failed to start when u boot up, then it'll restart the computer continuously, if u changed it to restart the computer. Not quite what u want lol. It'll go round in circles (rebooting) if the service for whatever program failed to start at all.

Strommer
01-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Speedy, pctek, borax, trig, Jen, et. al. ...
OK, here is the low-down of what happened this afternoon.

[In the BIOS]

Found the Instant Off - it was enabled so left it unchanged.
Set the ACPI Suspend to the default.

Went into Wake Up sub page.
PS2MS Wake up from S3/S4/S5 : this was set on CLICK, so I disabled it.

Shutdown and still restarted automatically. :annoyed:

Found PCIPME Power Up Control, disabled it.

Shutdown and still restarted automatically. :mad:

Decided to go to each sub-page in order to LOAD FAIL-SAFE DEFAULTS for each page.
Previously I did this on the main menu page only. I noticed these changes:

Integrated Peripherals > IDE HDD Block Mode - changed to DISABLED

Power Management Setup > Suspend Mode - changed to DISABLED

Boot Sequence now 1 FDD, 2 HDD, 3 CDROM

Shutdown and still restarted automatically. :stare:

Went back to Power Button Override - changed this to Instant Off
(Could not see that this was changed when doing each sub page LOAD FAIL-SAFE DEFAULTS due to active box obscuring the change.)

Also changed both of these to DISABLED: PCIPME Power Up Control, and MACPME Power Up Control.
(Again, I could not see that this was changed when doing each sub page LOAD FAIL-SAFE DEFAULTS due to active box obscuring the change.)

Shutdown. Waited. Hey hey hey hey, it did not restart! Well well, and I was just about to give up. Amazing. :)

Went back and set boot sequence for FDD to be last, HDD first.

Shutdown, and again it stayed off!!! :cool:

Checked in Admin Tools > Services. Norton Protection Centre Service = "manual" (not automatic), so I left this unchanged.

Got rid of the old Acronis drive image (on a partition) and defragged.
Then tried to make a new Acronis image but got a %$#@$*# error message... No sweat as I have the solution here at home so will look it up.

So that should be the end of it, Speedy. Except for a question:

Does System Restore only affect the OS (WinXP)? In other words, if BIOS changes are made, will System Restore detect this and back it up?

Speedy Gonzales
01-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Does System Restore only affect the OS (WinXP)? In other words, if BIOS changes are made, will System Restore detect this and back it up?

The BIOS settings have NOTHING to do with system restore or vice-versa.

The BIOS is hardware based (part of the mobo), not software.

Whatever you change in the BIOS doesnt affect system restore. As both dont have anything to do with each other. If u want to set the default settings in the BIOS, there's an option in the BIOS for this.

And if you accidentally screw the BIOS up (ie by flashing it), you wont get into Windows to do anything. Until u replace the BIOS chip.

The only way a BIOS could be backed up is if u had something like a Gigabyte mobo, coz some of their mobos have 2 BIOS chips. In case one gets destroyed somehow.

Strommer
01-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Just figured out why Acronis would not make a new drive image.
Its because I disabled several items in msconfig - including the Acronis Scheduler - and have not enabled them again.

Strommer
01-03-2007, 05:52 PM
The BIOS settings have NOTHING to do with system restore or vice-versa.

Yep, thats what I thought. Just checking with an expert to be sure!

Speedy Gonzales
01-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Just figured out why Acronis would not make a new drive image.
Its because I disabled several items in msconfig - including the Acronis Scheduler - and have not enabled them again.

One example of why u shouldnt use msconfig to disable services :lol:

Strommer
01-03-2007, 06:54 PM
One example of why u shouldnt use msconfig to disable services :lol:

How would it be different by disabling it via Admin Tools?
Does it give a warning or something?

Speedy Gonzales
01-03-2007, 06:59 PM
How would it be different by disabling it via Admin Tools?
Does it give a warning or something?

I dont know, it must do something in admin tools that it doesnt do in msconfig.

Most probably coz u can use disable/manual/auto in services.

Morgenmuffel
02-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Hi all

Just want to say thanks, i have been having the same problem as steve with a new install, and tearing my rapidly receding hair out, and have managed to fix the problem which was in my bios, by following this thread

disabled - wake on LAN and
disabled -resume on PME
and set the floppy as my first boot (may change this back to hdd, but don't want to tempt fate)

Cheers all

Strommer
02-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Just want to say thanks, i have been having the same problem as steve with a new install, and tearing my rapidly receding hair out, and have managed to fix the problem which was in my bios, by following this thread

Glad to hear this Nigel !