PDA

View Full Version : A MEPIS problem

Sherman
25-02-2007, 01:31 PM
As some of you know, I downloaded simplyMEPIS live linux CD last night.
I burned the image to CD about half an hour ago and tried it out.
The boot menu appeared fine, I told it to boot. The startup process gets to about 90% and then decides to start the shutdown process. Needless to say, it turns off.
It gave no warnings, explanations etc. Just decided on its own accord to shut down.
I tried it again, this time seing the startup process instead of the splash screen.
Everything looked like it was starting up just fine and dandy, the various bits and bobs were starting normally, then suddenly said sending TERM signal and proceeded to shut down.
Anyone know what's going on??

Murray P
25-02-2007, 02:19 PM
You'd need to catch what processes were loading/starting just before the term signal.

Have you had any issues with the computer prior to this, BSODs in WIndows, etc?

Did you verify the MD5 sum of the downloaded Mepis ISO?

Sherman
25-02-2007, 02:44 PM
As to your first question, The last thing that loaded was "configuring guardog firewall". And i was wrong, it only got to 60 %

Secondly, no I havn't had any problems in windows

Third, I don't really know what your talking about, I assume it must be some type of error checking?

Murray P
25-02-2007, 02:56 PM
Try booting it up in VGA/minimal mode.

How much RAM have you got?

Sometimes files are damaged or not whole when they are downloaded. The MD5 sum is a process that checks the integrity of the downloaded file against the original. The MD5 sum should be in the same server directory as the ISO, download it and grab yourself an MD5 checker from you fav download site. I use MD5Summer, had it a while so I don't know what's out there at the mo improvement wise.

Sherman
25-02-2007, 03:40 PM
There must be somthing about my laptop that LiveCD's dont like.
I say this because when I ran it in a vmware session, it booted perfectly, yet refuses to load if I boot from startup.
Now that i can see the entire boot process happening, I can see that the problem occurs after "INNIT entering runlevel 5" or somthing like that. In the vmware session, it continued loading after this, yet when booted directly, the next thing after saying that it says "sending TERM signal" etc...

Murray P
25-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Wait for one of the Linux gurus or post on the Mepis Forums, they bound to have encountered this issue.

I'm wondering whether it is a proprietary nature of the BIOS or a driver of your laptop, maybe (innit 5 should be well after BIOS, but I'm thinking hidden partitions, ACPI and stuff like that, that may load). Funny it doesn't give an error though.

beama
25-02-2007, 08:33 PM
been a while since I played with mepis but have you tried vga mode as it sounds like a X problem (related to Xserver not being able to detect your screen or video card even if its detected as unknown) also have you tried the different boot modes as Murray asked.

Do you get to the login screen? you have a choice of two users "root" and "demo" (if I'm not getting my distros mixed up).

Do you see any message that contains the words "Kernel Panic" ?

Sherman
25-02-2007, 08:43 PM
been a while since I played with mepis but have you tried vga mode as it sounds like a X problem (related to Xserver not being able to detect your screen or video card even if its detected as unknown) also have you tried the different boot modes as Murray asked.

Do you get to the login screen? you have a choice of two users "root" and "demo" (if I'm not getting my distros mixed up).

Do you see any message that contains the words "Kernel Panic" ?
Thats what i thought at first also, I did try vga mode, didnt make a differece. Tried different boot modes, no diff. As I said, i didn't get to the login screen, it shutdown before then. It looked like it started the x server correctly. As I said before, it started to shutdown when it changed to runlevel 5 (whatever that is).

And no, there was no message like that whatsoever, which is what's making me confused.

beama
25-02-2007, 08:52 PM
runlevel 5 is basicly starting Xserver for GUI login
runlevel 3 is text mode
www.skullbox.net/init.php (http://www.skullbox.net/init.php)
is there a textmode startup
try this also timing important here
just before it reboots press ctrl alt backspace keys that should stop x and put you into text mode, the password for logon is the same as the user name, if that works ...welcome to to the linux text world

Murray P
25-02-2007, 09:04 PM
With Mepis, the 1st, 2nd & 3rd things to load in Innit 5 is ACPI, your power interface. As I understand it, ACPI can be a little tricky with laptops.

What brand, model and year is the lappy?

You could disable ACPI in BIOS and see how it goes.

Sherman
25-02-2007, 09:07 PM
It ba a er compaq.
Got it in september of last year.
In other words, fairly new.
Will try disabling ACPI now.

beama
25-02-2007, 09:15 PM
yep Compaq, mepis doesnt like my Compaq lappy as well, gives a warning on bootup about BIOS fault (recoverable it says ) and I have to use one of the custom boot modes, but the funny thing is RED HAT 9 which dual boots with xp doesnt care, on the same lappy.

different kernel versions and base distros
mepis is debain based which has always been fussy in my experance

Sherman
25-02-2007, 09:25 PM
It was an ACPI problem.
Unfortuanately, I cant turn it off at the bios, however, there was a startup mode for MEPIS that doesnt start ACPI stuff. I , er, um, didn't try loading that option before, as it is for older PC.
And because it is for older PC's, it only uses a basic graphics mode meaning the screen res is stuck on 800 x 600 or 1024 x 786, which looks awful on my widescreen laptop...
Um, by the way, how am I managing to be posting here??
I didn't enter any username, passwords, dsl setting at all, yet here I am posting on PF1.:confused:

Murray P
25-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Re posting. PF1 Cookies, did you tick the option to remember you at the right of the PF1 login box?

Well done on narrowing down the problem. There is bound to be a work-a-round, search or post on the Mepis forums. While you're at it complain to Compaq, it doesn't hurt for them to know that there custimers would like to use Linux as well as Windows.

Sherman
25-02-2007, 09:33 PM
Duh
What a silly question to ask...
The setting of course are all in the router...

By the way, thanks for the help.
I didn't think of ACPI to be honest.

I only seem to have the problem with liveCD's, not with somthing like fedora core or suse (or similar)

beama
25-02-2007, 09:35 PM
because its a live distro, it detects dhcp sets it your network card (known as eth0 in linux) and logs in you wont damage the linux operating system because it runs from RAM referring back to the live cd if it needs anything

but be carefull want you do, you can kill your laptop main os Which Im guessing is xp

Be carefull when doing ANYTHING that involves hda (thats want Linux calls your c:\)

Murray P
25-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Ah, so you're posting from Mepis.... It'll just detect your setting and yes, your router will do the rest, no fidling around in My Network Places or some such, although you can change the configuration if you wish. Linux is good like that, it usually does networking very well, no pissing around just gets on with it :D

Again, well done.

Edit: If it's the Live CD that's the issue, try installing Mepis, it's dead easy, just click the icon on the desktop. Most times I've encountered issue like your (Ubuntu, an older version of Mepis), once I've intalled it's worked fine. So, could be something in what you say about how Live CDs work.

beama
25-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Re posting. PF1 Cookies, did you tick the option to remember you at the right of the PF1 login box?

Murray...live distro (cant write to cd) unless you use puppy of course

yes live distro are good ive used one to transfer xserver settings from then to a hard drive install

Murray P
25-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Murray...live distro (cant write to cd) unless you use puppy of course

I wrote that before I realised Sherman was posting from Mepis, thank you very much Mr know it all :p

That's very interesting about Puppy though, I didn't know that :rolleyes: . Might give it a spin.

beama
25-02-2007, 09:51 PM
puppy can write back to cd or write to the pc hardrive a small or large config file in which your custom settings are saved to for next time

Sherman
25-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Again, well done.

Seeking a convert to the land of linux are we?:D
You know, i may even take time to repartition my HDD to accomodate a permanant install one of these days...

Sherman
26-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Just an update

I was searching the compaq website tonight, and I came across the BIOS update for my laptop. I decided to download and install it.
After that I popped in mepis, ran it in normal mode, and IT WORKED!!
The BIOS update must have fixed the ACPI problem.
Yay :)