PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Oils

allblack
24-02-2007, 03:27 PM
Okay, just to show I'm not against totally useless threads.......

Just been shopping. Why people leave trolleys in the middle of the aisle is another thread...and why they complain when they accidentally :lol: get bumped out of the way is also beyond me :cool:

Anyhoo.....oils. I'm trying to work out the difference between these.

Sunfield brand. Two types:

Canola Oil
Salad & Cooking Oil

Now, looked at these closely at the s/market. The description on the label on the back is identical. The only difference is:

"Sunfield Canola Oil contains Pure Canola Oil"

but.....also

"Sunfield Salad and Cooking Oil contains Pure Canola Oil"

Even the Nutritional Information is the same.

So.....why two different types if they are the same thing?

Anyone know? Anyone give a rat's a***?

I guess 430 views and no replies will tell me aye! ;)

Oh...and it's also an excuse to play with me new 19" monitor :thumbs:

Cheers
AB

somebody
24-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Branding purposes?

mikebartnz
24-02-2007, 04:45 PM
It' obviously for those that don't know what the different oils are good for.
I am a Rice Bran oil fan now.

Shortcircuit
24-02-2007, 04:50 PM
To hell with the cooking oil... what sort of monitor did you get? :D

allblack
24-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Branding purposes?

Yeah....I thought something like that.

Competition has S & C oils...so maybe Sunfield thought they better have one called that, or else potentially miss out on sales.

allblack
24-02-2007, 05:33 PM
To hell with the cooking oil... what sort of monitor did you get? :D

Acer 19".

$745 Noel Leeming
$599 Harvey Norman
$498 DSE

Unbeleivable.

Never really thought about them, but a friend of mine had one...and I've been champing at the bit to get one ever since.

So much nicer than my old 17" CRT.

pctek
24-02-2007, 06:47 PM
No difference.

Oil is vile anyway, use bacon fat, its so much tastier.

Laura
24-02-2007, 07:10 PM
OK Back to the cooking oils...

The short & honest answer from a sort-of cook is - I don't know.

But wait - there's more...
The guess answer - from one who takes a bit of notice about these oily things - is:

Canola (which is actually rape seed oil) is a good all-purpose cooking oil.
People who know that will buy it on that name.
Other less-knowledgeables, who're looking simply for a salad oil (for which it's also good) or "something to cook with" will be tempted by the Salad & Cooking Oil description.
It means they don't have to know whether Canola is better for that than the others on display.
Same product - 2 different customers. eh?

Perfect example -
Still smiling about today's supermarketing among the new Dunedin male student flatters. They start the year 4/6 to a trolley, peering at products they've never had to think of, arguing about Weetbix versus muesli versus baked beans, white bread versus wholegrain & whether they need more sauces than Watties tomato.
Sometimes they even ask amused female oldies like me for advice (provided no nubile girls are watching, of course)

Today I explained the difference between coriander, sage & thyme in the dried herb section. That's because those guys had a shopping list from their new female flatmates - and didn't know such things were actually herbs - and weren't game to ask the girls, in case it showed their ignorance.

My experience says they'll grow less staunch later. They'll learn that Sunday afternoon is supermarket time (morning needed to recover from Saturday night), they don't ALL have to come - and there's a free minibus to take them home with the shopping.

allblack
24-02-2007, 07:33 PM
Hey Laura....

Yeah, I kind of figured it was probably a marketing thing....the less-wise may not figure out that Canola can be used for cooking.

Enjoyed your scarfie story.....never been to Dunners..

R2x1
24-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Cooking oil is futile, I've boiled fried and grilled the stuff, it still tasted raw. Might as well have left it in the sump.

Laura
24-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Never been here, allblack?
And you're not even a j afa (so no south of the Bombay Hills excuse)
Wash your mouth out with soap!

We're a nice old city with nice old buildings.

And in my part of town, 20,000 young faces just reappeared after the hols.
I'm placed to be in the thick of it.

Suddenly my quiet old street has no parking.
Once the official Orientation stuff ends, there will be flat parties with loud music nearby.
I will remember how much noise my lot made as students, so rather than complain, will wish the music was more to my taste (Did anyone ever think today's is better than when they were young? I doubt it.)

I will also remember that my peers had far less money to spend, but - because there were far fewer of us - got away with much more public drunkeness & idiotic behaviour at Capping time ("It's just the students," Dunedin said tolerantly)

Admittedly, I live on a rise above what's become the student ghetto where street parties & couch-burning has been the norm.
Those around me are seniors & graduates whose landlords have turned tidy properties into what they expect to stay that way. They're choosy about tenants.

It's nice to have a quiet neighbourhood - for a while once a year..
But the charm of somnolence can wear off.
Now I will wait at pedestrian traffic lights surrounded by young people from a myriad of countries wearing clothing whose study stops me being bored.
I may be the only person in that group over 25.
It's fascinating.

And their importance to this city can be summed up in a frontpage newspaper headline some time ago.
It simply said - They're Back!

pctek
25-02-2007, 07:49 AM
Well I've been to Dunedin. Old buildings are common as dirt in the South. They're a lot prettier than the modern ones.

What I always wondered was how the population of Dunedin manages to survive winter - all those cliff faces they live on, covered in snow - beyond me how they make it down their driveways and across the road without sliding over the side of those mountainous streets to their deaths.

Strommer
25-02-2007, 08:33 AM

Most likely there are other oils as well, not just canoloa. The fine print of 'contents' will list all oils. The first oil you mention was pure canola oil.

BTW, there is an urban legend about canola oil being nasty. I have friends that still will not buy anything with canola oil in it, even after I printed out the scientific facts for them to read.

Strommer
25-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Most likely there are other oils as well, not just canoloa. The fine print of 'contents' will list all oils. The first oil you mention was pure canola oil.

Nope. Its the same:

http://www.tasti.co.nz/products.php?flavid=31

http://www.tasti.co.nz/products.php?flavid=33

allblack
25-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Never been here, allblack?
And you're not even a j afa (so no south of the Bombay Hills excuse)
Wash your mouth out with soap!

We're a nice old city with nice old buildings.

And in my part of town, 20,000 young faces just reappeared after the hols.
I'm placed to be in the thick of it.

Suddenly my quiet old street has no parking.
Once the official Orientation stuff ends, there will be flat parties with loud music nearby.
I will remember how much noise my lot made as students, so rather than complain, will wish the music was more to my taste (Did anyone ever think today's is better than when they were young? I doubt it.)

I will also remember that my peers had far less money to spend, but - because there were far fewer of us - got away with much more public drunkeness & idiotic behaviour at Capping time ("It's just the students," Dunedin said tolerantly)

Admittedly, I live on a rise above what's become the student ghetto where street parties & couch-burning has been the norm.
Those around me are seniors & graduates whose landlords have turned tidy properties into what they expect to stay that way. They're choosy about tenants.

It's nice to have a quiet neighbourhood - for a while once a year..
But the charm of somnolence can wear off.
Now I will wait at pedestrian traffic lights surrounded by young people from a myriad of countries wearing clothing whose study stops me being bored.
I may be the only person in that group over 25.
It's fascinating.

And their importance to this city can be summed up in a frontpage newspaper headline some time ago.
It simply said - They're Back!

Ummm.....please tell me ya don't work for the Dunedin tourism office??? :D

Laura
25-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Ummm.....please tell me ya don't work for the Dunedin tourism office??? :D

No, I don't.
Open to job offers, though.

(Mind you, if this thread had caught me the day I found "someone" had helped themselves to my front doormat, the post would've been less glowing)

allblack
25-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Well Laura, I've finally done it.

Gone to dictionary.com to see what "peripatetic" means....

I've learned a new word! Now, if I could just face my ironing the day wouldn't be a total loss :D

T

Laura
25-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Glad to be of service.

You iron?

Drip-dry fabrics have a lot going for them, I've found.
Or pehaps my friends are just extra-tolerant of the rumpled look..?.

allblack
25-02-2007, 04:32 PM
You iron?

Single man.

Need business shirts for work.

Means I iron.

Unhappily. Hate ironing.

Laura
25-02-2007, 04:35 PM
OK. I agree business shirts are an exception to my rule.
You have my sympathy.

(Just relieved you're not ironing the teatowels)

Shortcircuit
25-02-2007, 04:44 PM
I was told by my mother today that my aunty used to iron my uncle's handkerchiefs and underwear... presumably after they had been washed :horrified

allblack
25-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Ummmm.....shouldn't I be?

Makes them fit in the kitchen drawer easier....:(

dvm
25-02-2007, 04:54 PM
Single man.

Need business shirts for work.

Means I iron.

Unhappily. Hate ironing.

Simplest way to iron a shirt is to put it in the dryer on high for 2 - 3 minutes while you eat your toast and then put it on hot.
Works like a dream.

allblack
25-02-2007, 05:01 PM
Maybe...but my dryer doesn't work.

And I like my shirts to look nice.

beetle
25-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Ummmm.....shouldn't I be?

Makes them fit in the kitchen drawer easier....:(

Ya tea towels or undies? :p

beets:D

Laura
25-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Women in my age group were brung up ironing - in some cases everything,.

Now I delight in not having to -
and my liberated lot make jokes about those who're still "slaves to the ironing board."

BUT tongues are in cheeks. And if the iron is on anyway, a quick flick over the flat stuff makes storage sense.

R2x1
25-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Ironing tea towels is a must. All that acreage of flat stuff. Sheets hang on the floor which is good for the floor, bad for the sheets, handkerchiefs are so small that nothing happens to the visible progress in either pile, shirts are full of stupid bits, trousers go mad at the drop of a hat and life goes bad. Now we have this plastic money, ironing the banknotes has lost it's functionality. A couple of tea towels ironed and the day starts to look like something has been achieved. (The main thing to get ironed is still the ironing board cover unfortunately, totally unproductive.)

allblack
25-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Ya tea towels or undies? :p

beets:D

undies. Can get more coffee in before leaving for work if not commuting between kitchen and bedroom!:thumbs:

allblack
25-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Women in my age group were brung up ironing - in some cases everything,.

Outstanding! Shirts packed up, undies too! :D

Address for delivery please????

Laura
25-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Outstanding! Shirts packed up, undies too! :D

Address for delivery please????

Sadly, the relevant word was were...

Just one of the tenets of my mother that I've forsaken.

(And no, we won't go into the others...)

allblack
25-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Oh well.....worth a try.

Sitting here ain't getting me shirts ironed! :D

There's always later I spose...

allblack
25-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Anyway.....on the subject.....I bought an iron, but it doesn't spray. It steams, but it doesn't spray.

Is it possible the spray bit has some sort of cover on it that needs to be removed?

I've tried hacking at it with a fork, but all that acheived is a plaster on me hand.

Any ideas?

rob_on_guitar
25-02-2007, 05:29 PM
I like ironing. I like to try and look smart, I dont want my woman to think Im slipping and want her to always want me.

What a sap huh.

allblack
25-02-2007, 05:32 PM
I like ironing. I like to try and look smart, I dont want my woman to think Im slipping and want her to always want me.

What a sap huh.

A very mature attitude in my opinion. Getting it is only half the battle, keeping it is a lot tougher.

Laura
25-02-2007, 05:36 PM
No ideas from me.
My iron dates from when steam was considered the newest thing.
Spraying was what you hoped the cat didn't do.

Well, I think so...
Haven't seen it for so long I don't know where it is to check.

allblack
25-02-2007, 05:39 PM
No ideas from me.
My iron dates from when steam was considered the newest thing.
Spraying was what you hoped the cat didn't do.

Well, I think so...
Haven't seen it for so long I don't know where it is to check.

Hahahaha.......I'm not going to ask.

Will try with me trusty fork again. It's the same one I used to seat the video card in my desktop properly, so it's my "lucky" fork. Though my hand doesn't think so....

Shortcircuit
25-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Sadly, the relevant word was were...

Just one of the tenets of my mother that I've forsaken.

(And no, we won't go into the others...)

Spoilsport... how will I know if I've been deteneted if I have nothing with which to make a comparison?

AB... I have a spray bottle (like an old windowcleaner bottle) filled with water, much easier than filling the tank thingie on the iron thingie :thumbs:

allblack
25-02-2007, 05:54 PM
AB... I have a spray bottle (like an old windowcleaner bottle) filled with water, much easier than filling the tank thingie on the iron thingie :thumbs:

Yeah...that's where I'm heading, but I'd rather the iron did it!

Went to Briscoes today to buy a spray-bottle, and left with a rubber spatula. Forgot about the bottle.

Went to a garden shop a week or so ago to look for the same spray-bottle, and got stuck in a conversation about how to grow lemon trees. Forgot the bottle again....:mad:

Some days is just doesn't pay to get out of bed.....

beetle
25-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Blacky go to a plastic shop..they used to be called payless plastics i think they now called plastic box? they will have what you want......i promise.:p

and comes in a few different styles.........spray bottles, no one size fits all:p

beets

Shortcircuit
25-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Some days is just doesn't pay to get out of bed.....

Maybe you could get a mini ironing board like having breakfast in bed (they call it multi-tasking)

But seriously, the bottle works better than filling the iron, I'm not sure about the lemon tree or spatula though.

Laura
25-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Spoilsport... how will I know if I've been deteneted if I have nothing with which to make a comparison?

Hhmmm.
I think we can safely assume that my mother's advice to me isn't what yours told you.
(Equality of the sexes hasn't got that far yet...)

And that spray bottle is the best advice I've heard recently in the Aunt Daisy tradition.

allblack
25-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Did she give you any advice on how to grow a lemon tree??

I've tried two, both died.

Maybe DipHort time???;)

beetle
25-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Have you bought another one yet? lemon tree...

Put it in a big tub like i said last time..........for when ya move????...........and dont kill it with too much kindness this time.

put it on ya deck......and dont forget to water it

beets:illogical Dip Hort at the rescue:p

allblack
25-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Have you bought another one yet? lemon tree...

Put it in a big tub like i said last time..........for when ya move????...........and dont kill it with too much kindness this time.

put it on ya deck......and dont forget to water it

beets:illogical Dip Hort at the rescue:p

And therein lies the problem.....how much water? how big a tub? in the sun or in the shade? manure???? should I talk to it? does brown mean dead?

me thinks it's not safe. not fair on the tree :(

and I seem to recall there are different types...and they need to be bought at certain heights...??????

Might just stick to me ironing....which I might add has TOTALLY lost appeal!

beetle
25-02-2007, 06:21 PM
Swap ya.................I grow ya lemon tree and you do me ironing:p

:illogical

beets :D

allblack
25-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Swap ya.................I grow ya lemon tree and you do me ironing:p

beets :D

Only if the ironing can take as long as the lemon tree to sprout (?) lemons!

beetle
25-02-2007, 06:27 PM
LOL you do realise how long it could take for a lemon tree to have live usable lemons????????????????????????

allblack
25-02-2007, 06:31 PM
LOL you do realise how long it could take for a lemon tree to have live usable lemons????????????????????????

Um. No. Didn't I mention above my lemon trees have never made it past puberty?

Lemme guess.....two months!

Quicker if ya buy ones already at the age of consent??:thumbs:

beetle
25-02-2007, 06:37 PM
sigh................... the lemon trees sold in shops are usually a year or so old.......from memory at least 2 anyway......and if ya lucky will flower the year you get them........ and if it fruits with out breaking branches you may get a lemon or three off it.

but usually not the case...... maybe easier to get a new house that comes with a lemon tree? :p

beets

zqwerty
25-02-2007, 06:39 PM
If you don't iron all of the clothes, bedding and towels thoroughly in the place where I come from, Northern Rhodesia, then you will almost certainly have this happen:

http://goafrica.about.com/od/healthandsafety/qt/putzifly.htm

http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question45945.html

I knew at least one NZer who had this happen to her whilst living there. Loads of children at the schools I went to got them, so did pets.

The African people use charcoal powered irons to spruce up their best clothes and keep this pest at bay.

allblack
25-02-2007, 06:43 PM
sigh................... the lemon trees sold in shops are usually a year or so old.......from memory at least 2 anyway......and if ya lucky will flower the year you get them........ and if it fruits with out breaking branches you may get a lemon or three off it.

but usually not the case...... maybe easier to get a new house that comes with a lemon tree? :p

beets

Why would the branches break?

allblack
25-02-2007, 06:45 PM
If you don't iron all of the clothes, bedding and towels thoroughly in the place where I come from, Northern Rhodesia, then you will almost certainly have this happen:

I knew at least one NZer who had this happen to her whilst living there. Loads of children at the schools I went to got them, so did pets.

The African people use charcoal powered irons to spruce up their best clothes and keep this pest at bay.

Errrr...yeah...good...thanks for that.

Wilbur Smith country? Cool......

beetle
25-02-2007, 06:47 PM
Why would the branches break?

Depends on the weight of lemon......... most lemon trees i seen at the shops are spindly horid looking things no wonder you could kill em.

beets:illogical

pctek
25-02-2007, 06:49 PM
And therein lies the problem.....how much water? how big a tub? in the sun or in the shade? manure???? should I talk to it? does brown mean dead?

If it has water in the saucer it doesn't need any more.
If you poke you fingers down into the dirt as far as you can and its dry and the saucer is dry, water it.

Keep mulch and stuff away from the trunk.

In the sun.
Shelter from wind.

Pick off flowers in its first year - its too small.

Feed it citrus fertiliser, you can buy granules - directions on the container.

zqwerty
25-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Wilbur Smith country is Southern Rhodesia and South Africa, this is where I grew up:

http://www.zambiatourism.com/welcome.htm

Ndola, "Gateway to the Copperbelt".

allblack
25-02-2007, 06:53 PM
most lemon trees i seen at the shops are spindly horid looking things no wonder you could kill em.

Sounds like I'm pretty much stuffed then! :(

beetle
25-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Um well mostly tekky

only feed when you first plant it..less is more or that can kill it.... citrus fertiliser burns badly if you do it wrong.........enuf to kill a tree.
but if ya get hold of sheep manuare they love that.
and yes water when the soil / mix is dry, and yes i recomend a saucer, put it on front deck....... (if still in same house) it will get good sun and be protected somewhat from welly wind.

Think like this........tub size...if ya can fit a CRT monitor in it....... its a good size for a lemon, but bloody hard to lift when planted so pot up in place cos ya aint gonna move it in a hurry.

allblack
25-02-2007, 06:59 PM
If it has water in the saucer it doesn't need any more.
If you poke you fingers down into the dirt as far as you can and its dry and the saucer is dry, water it.

Keep mulch and stuff away from the trunk.

In the sun.
Shelter from wind.

Pick off flowers in its first year - its too small.

Feed it citrus fertiliser, you can buy granules - directions on the container.

They flower?????

Wow! Stuff I've been missing......

What's mulch? Is that like manure? Or those really cool things that ya buy in bags that look like bark?

Shelter from wind could be an issue.....I live at the top of a hill in Wellington. We get the occasional light zephyr! :D

I gotta get me a lemon tree next weekend! Have three kids in tow, so that will be....interesting.

Will post a pic when I got it set up. And have weekly updates :thumbs:

Might start another thread on names for it....

allblack
25-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Wilbur Smith country is Southern Rhodesia and South Africa, this is where I grew up:

http://www.zambiatourism.com/welcome.htm

Ndola, "Gateway to the Copperbelt".

Awesome place. Get rid of the heat and spiders, I'm there!:thumbs:

Shortcircuit
25-02-2007, 07:11 PM

Thanks SO much for that info ... see what happens when I go for a walk, the decorum slips and things get ickky :yuck:

And what's this about lemon trees????, don't let beetle give you directions allblack, she managed to blow up a kettle :horrified :p

allblack
25-02-2007, 07:16 PM
And what's this about lemon trees????, don't let beetle give you directions allblack, she managed to blow up a kettle :horrified :p

Really?

Hope she has a spare!:D

beetle
25-02-2007, 07:19 PM
When?

Not for ages............

and yeah i have 2 spares:p
a beetle cannot do with out her coffee:p

zqwerty
25-02-2007, 07:20 PM
"Get rid of the heat"

It is well known that Zambia has the best weather in the world, bar none. 4000 feet up, just off the Equator. Only has the rainy season and the dry season, Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter are barely discernable.

The break in the dry season for the first rain is always around Nov 5th, the smell of the rain in Africa, wonderful and indescribable, an ancient memory that you don't even know you have until you experience it.

The sound of the insects after a rainstorm, evocative and intense, you can hear a minor version of it sometimes in Auckland from the cicadas.

Shortcircuit
25-02-2007, 07:20 PM
It's ok beetle... it's harder to blow up a lemon tree :D

Jen
25-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Will try with me trusty fork again. It's the same one I used to seat the video card in my desktop properly, so it's my "lucky" fork. You used a fork to seat the video card?! :horrified :eek: :horrified :xmouth: :eek:

R2x1
25-02-2007, 08:46 PM
You used a fork to seat the video card?! :horrified :eek: :horrified :xmouth:
Naturally he did. It's a well known fact that computers and knives don't make a happy mix.:o

Shortcircuit
25-02-2007, 09:03 PM
You used a fork to seat the video card?!

It's a 'Man' thing Jen. :D

Quite acceptable to use it as a tool when you know what you're doing :thumbs:

Greg
26-02-2007, 12:16 AM
Back to oils... why anyone would use any oil other than extra virgin olive oil (except for deep frying) is beyond me. Pctek's suggestion of using bacon fat is ok at times, but you need to cook a lot of bacon to have a ready supply of rendered fat. Both unhealthy.

pctek
26-02-2007, 08:46 AM
Um well mostly tekky

only feed when you first plant it..less is more or that can kill it.... l

I've had lemon trees for 28 years and never killed one ever.

pctek
26-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Pctek's suggestion of using bacon fat is ok at times, but you need to cook a lot of bacon to have a ready supply of rendered fat. Both unhealthy.

No you don't.

You use a little bit for your cooking. I avoid deep frying with anything. Even chip s are easy, slice themn up, put a smear of bacon fat in your roasting dish, add chips and cook on high heat. Crispy and tasty.

bob_doe_nz
26-02-2007, 10:08 AM
Try and find or render your own Duck fat for frying chips.
I tell you, the taste is like no other. (So is the fat content)

SKT174
26-02-2007, 11:21 AM
Back to oils... why anyone would use any oil other than extra virgin olive oil (except for deep frying) is beyond me.

X2 I only use Olive oil and for deep frying I use Canola :)

R2x1
26-02-2007, 01:18 PM
What is so bad about slightly virgin olive oil?

Laura
26-02-2007, 02:16 PM
What is so bad about slightly virgin olive oil?

That's only to be consumed by women who are a little bit pregnant.

Greg
26-02-2007, 03:16 PM
What is so bad about slightly virgin olive oil?Not sure of your point, so call me thick - but the best olive oils are either virgin or extra virgin. It's similar to French wines and depends on which pressing of the fruit it comes from. The first is always the best (some rare exceptions).

manicminer
26-02-2007, 07:01 PM
Coconut oil.
One of the very few oils that doesn't oxidise and also has a high heat tolerance.
Great for your skin and perfect for cooking.
Contains Lauric acid which has adverse effects on various
microorganisms, such as bacteria, intestinal yeast overgrowth, fungi and
enveloped viruses.
Just make sure it's unrefined. Ideally it should be organic, virgin, cold pressed, unrefined, unbleached, undeodorised, and not hydrogenated.

Olive oil is fine,especially extra virgin for salads, but make sure it is in a
dark bottle to avoid the oxidation that occurs when oil is exposed to light. Refrigerate after opening. Olive oil is not great for cooking as heating
oxidizes it and creates free radicals.

The thing to avoid is artificially created trans-fats. These are created when polyunsaturated vegetable fats are artificially hydrogenated.
Mechanically altered oils are used in most processed foods, and avoiding them takes dedication. Canola oil, for example, is ubiquitous.

Interestingly, the FDA ban the use of canola oil in infant formula because it seems to retard growth.

Shortcircuit
26-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Coconut oil.
One of the very few oils that doesn't oxidise and also has a high heat tolerance.
enveloped viruses.
Just make sure it's unrefined. Ideally it should be organic, virgin, cold pressed, unrefined, unbleached, undeodorised, and not hydrogenated.

dark bottle to avoid the oxidation that occurs when oil is exposed to light. Refrigerate after opening. Olive oil is not great for cooking as heating

The thing to avoid is artificially created trans-fats. These are created when polyunsaturated vegetable fats are artificially hydrogenated.
Mechanically altered oils are used in most processed foods, and avoiding them takes dedication. Canola oil, for example, is ubiquitous.

Interestingly, the FDA ban the use of canola oil in infant formula because it seems to retard growth.

Thanks manicminer... just put me off my dinner :stare:

Laura
26-02-2007, 09:08 PM
Not sure of your point, so call me thick - but the best olive oils are either virgin or extra virgin. It's similar to French wines and depends on which pressing of the fruit it comes from. The first is always the best (some rare exceptions).

Nope, wouldn't call you thick, Greg.
Seriously informative, in fact.

It's just that you lost your funnybone temporarily.
Try "almost virgin" & "a little bit pregnant" again...

(Tough being a really good cook dealing with idiots, eh?)

R2x1
26-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Actually I have never had a squeaky olive, and I haven't had a rusty one either. So, why would I need such a specialised oil?

allblack
27-02-2007, 01:34 PM
You used a fork to seat the video card?!

Hi Jen.

You think I'm crazy? :D No, first I used a teaspoon coz it doesn't have sharp bits, but I couldn't get decent leverage.

I got it in most of the way by myself, but it seemed to need a bit of encouragement towards the end.

The fork did the job.

Then rang a friend of mine, who made noises about static electricity and if I'm gonna use a fork why not just bang it in with a hammer! Facetious git...imagine doing summat dumb like that!;) He's lived in Melbourne too long.

Anyway, I don't have a hammer. But a friend of mine does...next time I might just take it to her to fix! :rolleyes:

Oddly enough, I have horrid lines on my display, so it seems the fork might be coming back to haunt me.

AB

Sue
27-02-2007, 01:52 PM
Coconut oil.
enveloped viruses.

Thank you, very well set out and easily understood info.

Graham L
27-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Deep frying infants would tend to retard their growth, whatever oil was used ...

Shortcircuit
27-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Deep frying infants would tend to retard their growth, whatever oil was used ...

Thanks Graham, you've just put me off my dinner 2 nights in a row :thumbs:

Strommer
28-02-2007, 08:03 AM
"Sunfield Canola Oil contains Pure Canola Oil"

but.....also

Even the Nutritional Information is the same.

So.....why two different types if they are the same thing?

Reply from the company that makes the oil:

You are correct in noticing that both the Canola and Salad & Cooking oil are in fact canola oil. We have taken this approach because some consumers purchase by application and some purchase by oil variety. Our Salad & Cooking Oil was the number 1 selling oil in NZ but then there was a surge of good press for Canola and the consumer started to search for Canola. Even though our Salad & Cooking Oil had always been bottled using Canola it was difficult to get that message across so we launched a Canola specific product to meet consumer demand. The oils are both sold for exactly the same price so the consumer is not disadvantaged.

I hope you find this information useful and please contact us if you have any further queries.

Kind regards,

Tracey Hold

Complaints Co-ordinator

Tasti Products Ltd

Greg
28-02-2007, 08:24 AM
Great info Steve. And 10/10 to the company for being so honest.

allblack
28-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Awesome Steve!

Well done mate.

user
28-02-2007, 11:51 AM
A colleague at work remembers that the name 'canola' is derived from the word 'Canada' and other word(s) which he can't remember. Thus both oils are derived from rapeseed but one is a branded name while the other refers to its' usage in cooking.

rob_on_guitar
28-02-2007, 01:24 PM
I find it funny a thread on cooking oil got to 9 pages!;)

Laura
28-02-2007, 01:32 PM

Gee, someone hasn't changed his page settings yet.
There are options...

Only on Page 2 here. Much simpler to surf.

(80 posts per page)

R2x1
28-02-2007, 01:38 PM
12 to 15 posts per page loads faster though :D

Laura
28-02-2007, 01:45 PM

Oh..Hhmm.
Never thought of that.

Swings & roundabouts..?

allblack
28-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Gee, someone hasn't changed his page settings yet.
There are options...

Only on Page 2 here. Much simpler to surf.

(80 posts per page)

page settings? options? simpler to surf?

What do you mean Laura?

Tricks I don't know about obviously.....

allblack
28-02-2007, 02:00 PM

AND lemon trees!!!

R2x1
28-02-2007, 03:07 PM
page settings? options? simpler to surf?

What do you mean Laura?

Tricks I don't know about obviously.....
Look up above the posts, click on User CP. (Or, select User Control Panel from Forum Jump.) Under User Options, select Edit Options, > Scroll down to Thread Display Options, and you find Number of Posts to Show Per Page.
And, lots of other stuff to mess up your free time.

R2x1
28-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Good things take time, especially the "good oil."

allblack
28-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Look up above the posts, click on User CP. (Or, select User Control Panel from Forum Jump.) Under User Options, select Edit Options, > Scroll down to Thread Display Options, and you find Number of Posts to Show Per Page.
And, lots of other stuff to mess up your free time.

Ooooooooooh...cool.

Tks for that.

What's free time??? :D

R2x1
28-02-2007, 03:19 PM
What's free time??? :D
Urban myth?

beetle
28-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Lemon tree hunting time maybe?

:p:thumbs:

Strommer
28-02-2007, 05:25 PM

you still on dialup??:waughh:

Laura
28-02-2007, 07:05 PM

The best Option to make pages load faster for DialUp customers like me is to remove "Show Signatures".

Occasionally I'm reminded those exist when I follow someone's link to an old thread.
And then I breathe a sigh or relief I don't usually have to wade through all those extra lines to see what someone's actually saying in realtime.

I'm not counting helpful sigs like Speedy's, which is constantly used for a useful purpose, but some of the others must be really booring after the 20th/50th time of reading...

(No, of course I don't mean yours - whoever's reading this - just those other people's sigs..)

Have you found that Option, allblack?

beetle
28-02-2007, 07:13 PM
You mean you dont read my sig Laura............:(

:D oh well.

beetle

Laura
28-02-2007, 07:57 PM
You mean you dont read my sig Laura............:(

:D oh well.

beetle

Yep, turned sigs on specially for you, so dunnit now.

I like Winnie the Pooh.

Looked at a few others also - mostly entertaining or thought-provoking (first time around, anyway). One who shall be nameless = junk. But hey, my junk is another's treasure...

Turning them off again now. May look again in another week/month/year..

allblack
28-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Have you found that Option, allblack?

Hey chook! Yeah, I did. Will have to have a play during this apparition (sp?) called "free time"...assuming I can't find a lemon tree with strong branches and a good attitude to growth!:p

Hope it's not my sig that is "junk"....:confused:

Laura
28-02-2007, 09:22 PM
No, your sig is nifty, allblack.

The junk one is 3 lines - or 5 including spaces - containing 3 live links to websites unrelated to computer help (as far as I bothered to look, anyway) & has no redeeming features in my eyes.

But what do I know? It might be a magnet/true gem for young members...
So that's all I'm saying about it.
(Apart from thanking the Great God PF1 I can turn it off)

And back to lemon trees...

I've been waiting for someone (some Southlander, in fact) to recommend Burt Munro's fertiliser (He of The World's Fasted Indian)
So I guess by now an Otagoite will have to step in with that advice.

You're supposed to pee on it each morning.

allblack
28-02-2007, 09:25 PM
The junk one is 3 lines - or 5 including spaces - containing 3 live links to websites unrelated to computer help (as far as I bothered to look, anyway) & has no redeeming features in my eyes.

Agreed....

Greg
01-03-2007, 09:21 AM
And back to lemon trees...As much as I love lemons, and use them extensively in cooking... why grow a lemon tree when you can grow a lime tree, who's fruit and leaves are so much more exotic and versatile? Mine is about 18 months old now and should bear fruit in about another 18 months.

Speaking of which, I invented a recipe using lime leaves, by making a parcel from two large leaves, filling with a savoury cooked rice and minced lamb mixture, tied with a bit of string, and steamed. Pretty much like dolmades, except the lime leaves aren't eaten - they just impart a tangy flavour.

I've also bbq'd fish on the leaves, and serving antipasto on them is pretty cool.

[Edit] In answer to my own question, I'm guessing that lemons grow in a vaster range of climates - limes need a relatively warm climate, hence the difference in price where limes are usually 5 times the price of lemons.

Winston001
01-03-2007, 10:52 AM
What a great thread and I've been meaning to read it for days.

The remarkable coincidence is that only a day before you posted Allblack, I also puzzled over the exact same bottles in Countdown. In the end I grabbed the Salad version because I'd been instructed to get salad oil................... Thanks everyone for the info.

Thanks also Laura for the stroll down memory lane. Some years ago I was among those scruffy students, living at various times in Opoho, Castle Street, and NorthEast Valley. Great days. And I can vividly recall an angry lady approaching us one evening when we had the stereo set up outside (4 speakers) at the top of Arden St, blasting Ride of the Valkeries across the valley. Made a change from Led Zepplin, still can't understand her problem..........

As for reading forums, the first thing I do when joining one is disable signatures and icons.

Finally, thanks for a great read everybody, we have a fun community here.

rob_on_guitar
01-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Good things take time, especially the "good oil."

Nicely said.

And Laura, cheers for the tip on the sigs. I never really explored the CP much. Was good to have a snoop.

Did someone mention potatoes? I am fully hooked on the red potatoes at the moment...ho hum

bob_doe_nz
01-03-2007, 04:04 PM
Speaking of which, I invented a recipe using lime leaves, by making a parcel from two large leaves, filling with a savoury cooked rice and minced lamb mixture, tied with a bit of string, and steamed. Pretty much like dolmades, except the lime leaves aren't eaten - they just impart a tangy flavour.

Reminds me of two chinese dishes.

Cooked sticky rice with a meat filling in the middle. wrapped in a lotus leaf and then steamed. (You get these at Chinese restaurants.)

Also there is one made with rice, mung beans, pork meat and wrapped in banana leaves and boiled. (My mum used to make them, havent seen these at restaurants)

stu161204
01-03-2007, 04:41 PM
One who shall be nameless = junk.

I bet its mine :waughh: :p

allblack
01-03-2007, 05:33 PM
And back to lemon trees...

I've been waiting for someone (some Southlander, in fact) to recommend Burt Munro's fertiliser (He of The World's Fasted Indian)
So I guess by now an Otagoite will have to step in with that advice.

You're supposed to pee on it each morning.

I could do that.....if it works. :D

allblack
01-03-2007, 05:36 PM
The remarkable coincidence is that only a day before you posted Allblack, I also puzzled over the exact same bottles in Countdown. In the end I grabbed the Salad version because I'd been instructed to get salad oil................... Thanks everyone for the info.

Instructed? Ya not the Boss of the house Winston?? :p

I'm not either....intermittently.

zqwerty
01-03-2007, 08:17 PM
No, it was the one I was using:

"The revolution says: I was, I am, I will be again" - Baader-Meinhof gang

and here's another one:

"After the game is over, the pawn and the King get put into the same box"

and another:

"Whenever you sup with the Devil make sure you use a long-handled spoon"

and:

"Those who do not learn from history are condemned to relive it, so are those that have learned because of those that haven't"

Laura
01-03-2007, 09:57 PM
I bet its mine :waughh: :p

No, not yours, stu.

Laura
01-03-2007, 10:19 PM
I could do that.....if it works. :D

Don't know if it works or not.
No lemon tree in my Dunedin wilderness currently kidding itself it's a garden.

Plus I think it's a bloke thing...(Dictionary - anatomical differences)

Must've worked for Burt Munro, though.
So ask his fellow Southlanders.

Winston001 - where are you? Got a lemon tree?
pctek - some husband help, perchance?

Greg
01-03-2007, 11:06 PM
pctek - some husband help, perchance?No! Let's promote the idea of women doing it ;) (except mine of course!) :eek:

Laura
01-03-2007, 11:51 PM
No! Let's promote the idea of women doing it ;) (except mine of course!) :eek:

Can't think of the right word...

Closest I can get is NIMBY.

(And we all know that means backyards/gardens)

allblack
02-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Can't think of the right word...

Closest I can get is NIMBY.

(And we all know that means backyards/gardens)

Can't picture a woman doing it.....well, I can!...but seems rather.....twisted?

Laura
02-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Can't picture a woman doing it.....well, I can!...but seems rather.....twisted?

No, don't think you've got the right word, either.

Yours sounds far more painful for you than for us.

allblack
03-03-2007, 05:50 AM
No, don't think you've got the right word, either.

Yours sounds far more painful for you than for us.

Ya know...you could be right.

Maybe I gotta stop posting here when I'm so tired and my brain is dead.

Three hours sleep, and three kids about to wake up. Gonna be a long day.....