PDA

View Full Version : Go Large ain't no longer

marker
22-02-2007, 09:33 AM
TElecom has seen the light (a bit that is).

They have updated their website and for the moment Go Large is no longer on offer. They have re-introducedthe old plan like Adventurer and hope we will all switch back.

I think that hey are thinking wrong in that matter as why should i pay more for a plan that gives me far less??

At current I use about 23-25 gig a month. The first available plan that allows me to do this without losing speed or incure extra charges will cost me NZD99.95

That is a huge difference and Telecom thinks that many people will make the change. Yes, when you use lesss than 10 a month you might consider it although it is still a NZD10 increase (20 per cent in price). Personally I think that many will stick with the plan they have and see what is going to happen.

Why does Telecom not copy others this time. Xnet is charging NZD34 for a connection and thereafter 0.1 cent per MB. So when you use 25gig a month you pay only NZD59.55 per month. That is a whopping difference to Telecom that charges NZD 0.02per mb when you excess you allowed bandwidth. To be exact Telecom charges 20 times more for excess.

I am curious what Telecom's next step will be as this ain't the last we heard about it.

JJJJJ
22-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Well I've said it before and I'll say it again.
What the hell are you still with xtra for?

Xnet is faster and cheaper.

I think some people stay with xtra so they can have something to grizzle about

stu161204
22-02-2007, 09:42 AM
http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/chm/0,8763,204548-203090,00.html

lance4k
22-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Yes go large has been suspended until they figure out why it is so slow.Here are the links:

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=7046

lance4k
22-02-2007, 09:58 AM
man look at their fair use policy:

http://www.telecom.co.nz/tools/1,8752,205451-204363,00.html?link=rdt

they saw the go large plan has no cap but they still have this disappointing fair use policy

trig42
22-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Those of you on Go Large are getting a credit too. Big stuff ups!

Is this because telecom aren't investing in decent backhaul, and the network couldn't cope?

from http://www.telecom.co.nz/chm/0,8763,204548-202568,00.html

Existing GO LARGE Customers
An error on our part has meant that since 8 December the process to manage traffic on the GO LARGE plan has been different to what was originally intended and communicated to customers. This may have affected the experience some customers had on this plan.

We are currently communicating this message via email or letter to customers who have been on the GO LARGE Plan between 8 December 2006 and the end of February 2007.

As acknowledgement of this error we will be crediting customers for the monthly GO LARGE plan charges for the applicable time they have been on this service between 8 December 2006 and the end of February 2007.

stu161204
22-02-2007, 10:21 AM
Well I've said it before and I'll say it again.
What the hell are you still with xtra for?

Part from Xtraís Go Large plan & bad support (sometimes) Xtra can be OK when thing work!

Plus I think you will find not that many people especially people who are new to the internet donít know of the other ISPís part from Xtra

And I think another reason why people donít switch from Xtra to another ISP, is the plan of changing ISPís e-mail address & maybe even not knowing what the new ISP will be like.

One reason why I think we are still with Xtra is because we are waiting to see what happened with ADSL2 & the local loop unbundling.

yeath, that maybe the case now, but wait a few months & when everyone finds out how good xnet is they will have problems like when orcon offered unlimited downloads.

One reason I donít like xnet, is you pay for the traffic you use, so if you use for example 12 Ė 15GB, you will have a big bill at the end of the month

Or

If you are on ďManaged Data UsageĒ + FLS down & FLS up & you choose a 10GB bandwidth cap, that will cost you $60.19 ( & I donít even know what would happen if you go over 10GB, I guess they change you)

& you have a churn fee of $41 to pay as well, so in the end its is not as cheaper then you think.

Hitech
22-02-2007, 10:32 AM
OH MY GOD am i reading things right TELECOM the biggest telco in NZ is going to give go large customers a refund holy smoke now that is rare a refund from telecom theirs another $8million dollars down the toilet it just goes to show that telecom have money to burn. Im am angry though that they have re introduced the explorer plan for $50 i used to be on that plan but switced providers cause telecom took it away for the go large plan, they just love stuffing me around but i will not be switching back to them again.

trig42
22-02-2007, 10:37 AM
$8 Million is a lot cheaper than upgrading the network to actually make Go Large work (or any decent broadband for that matter).

My fear is that with LLU coming later this year, telecom have decided (and rightly so from a profit-making point of view) not to invest heavily in the infrastructure just so that all the other telcos/ISPs can take advantage of it. Their POV may be that if IHUG, Slingshot etc want to compete, let them build their own infrastructure. I hope this won't happen, and that the Commerce Commission force Telecom to play nice.

Terry Porritt
22-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Quoting Telecom: "An error on our part has meant that since 8 December the process to manage traffic on the GO LARGE plan has been different to what was originally intended and communicated to customers."

Where did they get 8th December from??????

It was all custard as soon as I was connected to it on 27th October. Perhaps 8th December was when they first began to admit/realise that they had stuffed up??? Anyway by then my feet had done the walking to Orcon :)

stu161204
22-02-2007, 11:13 AM
Terry how has orcon been?

SKT174
22-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Does it mean the speed of my internet will increase noticeably after switching from Go Large to Adventure ? Or won't make much difference at all?

stu161204
22-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Does it mean the speed of my internet will increase noticeably after switching from Go Large to Adventure ? Or won't make much difference at all?

It may make a difference, but we will have to wait & see what happens & what people say when they go to the new / old Adventure plan.

Terry Porritt
22-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Terry how has orcon been?

Nothing to complain about at all, quite the opposite.

I'm on a max speed down, 128kbs up plan with 15GB, interleaving is off by default.
Router connection speeds are higher, probably because interleaving is off, generally that speed shows at around 8000kbps plus or minus a bit.

(Line attenuation says 21dB, and Noise Margin (SNR) says 12dB, that has not changed. The line attenuation indicates I'm about 1 to 1.5km from the DSLAM cabinet)

CRC errors gradually increase, somewhat more than they used to, but doesn't appear to cause any problems. I reboot the modem more frequently though 'just in case'.
The modem seems a bit more sensitive to RF, it drops out when I fire up a small AM 'sender' connected to the sound card, and has to be re-booted.

Actual data download speeds from overseas sites are many times faster than with Telecom Go Large. It varies of course with different sites and type of files, but around 250 kBytes per sec would be typical, sometimes higher, up to 450/500kBytes ps, sometimes lower, 150kBytes ps.

Sometimes downloading Google videos to HDD goes down to 30kBytes per sec, but on Go Large I couldn't even watch a Google or YouTube video without it all being downloaded first with the player on pause.

I haven't yet passed over tolls to Orcon, but I most probably will next month, and save $10.

robbyp
22-02-2007, 12:06 PM

For now maybe, until lots of people find out and switch to them. Xnet only need a few days of problems with conjestion to get a bad name. This problem happened to orcon not long ago.

Telecom are doing some stupid things and must be getting some really bad advice. Some of these include

*Selling the yellowpages - such huge potential here
*Buying small ozzie telcos, in a very competive market
*Ferrit - enough said. I predict this will have closed by mid year.
*Go large plan, they would have been better to have a 20GB Max/Max plan for $60 or a 20GB Max/128 plan for $50. When people are offered an al you can eat plan there are a lot og greedy people who will use more resurces than others and telecom miscalculated this badly.

I think there are some people at telecom who are free riding and need to be fired. Either that, or they have insiders who are intentionally trying to sabotage the company with very bad advice.

marker
22-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Telecom assumes that most of its Go Large customers will switch back to the financially more unfavorable plans. Here you can see that they have lost touch with the market because many will think that others will switch sothatthey will get a better quality of service.

If Telecom had played it clever it would have launched a plan that its capped on 125 per cent of the average user's need. In t hat way more people would have been enticed to move.

I am curious to find out what justifies the huge difference in pricing for additional uage over your cap with Telecom of $0.02 per MB whilst Xnet, who most likely buys bandwidth from Telecom to service its customers only charge 0.1 cent per MB. Arewe heree talking about ripping of your customer or a company selling itself too cheap and calling for problems in the near future?

Finally it is amazingto see that Telecom has so many problems whilst in many other OECD countries, the ones Telecom and the NZ government like to show to, providers have much morecustomers and have no problems with providing a reliable service at fair speeds and even more fair pricing. If they want NZ in the world of knowledge they better make sure that NZ canconnect to therest of the world in order to keep up with what one is doing in stead of being left in the dark and building an even greater trailling distance with other countries.

marker
22-02-2007, 01:02 PM

The Adventureer plan does claim not to have any download resctrictions. So you should be faster. However you plan is capped at 10gig. After that you go back to dial up (equivalent to your permanent upload)

rogerp
22-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Telecom assumes that most of its Go Large customers will switch back to the financially more unfavorable plans. Here you can see that they have lost touch with the market because many will think that others will switch sothatthey will get a better quality of service.

If Telecom had played it clever it would have launched a plan that its capped on 125 per cent of the average user's need. In t hat way more people would have been enticed to move.

I am curious to find out what justifies the huge difference in pricing for additional uage over your cap with Telecom of $0.02 per MB whilst Xnet, who most likely buys bandwidth from Telecom to service its customers only charge 0.1 cent per MB. Arewe heree talking about ripping of your customer or a company selling itself too cheap and calling for problems in the near future?

Finally it is amazingto see that Telecom has so many problems whilst in many other OECD countries, the ones Telecom and the NZ government like to show to, providers have much morecustomers and have no problems with providing a reliable service at fair speeds and even more fair pricing. If they want NZ in the world of knowledge they better make sure that NZ canconnect to therest of the world in order to keep up with what one is doing in stead of being left in the dark and building an even greater trailling distance with other countries.

They really can't win at the moment. If telecom did invest in more infrastructure( which takes a long time to pay off) after unbundling, and other ISPs install their own equipment, telecom may find that :

a) They don't have room in their cabinets to install their competitiors equipment, which will mean expensive installation of larger exchanges
b) They may be left with redundent expensive hardware that isn't used, if their customers switch to other ISPs equipment.

They are probably doing thewise thing at the moment, and holding off and only upgrading to adsl2, until there is some certainty.

Sweep
22-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Orcon got me away from Xtra by promising Unlimited downloads for $59.00 / month. Later, to have the same service, they wanted $99.50 / month.

Back with Xtra and have been now for a while.

I get one bill for my landline, mobile and ISP. It works for me.

This may not work for others who may want to dine on lamb when all they really needed was mutton.

Waiting for my doorbell or phone to ring. Someone surely is going to do that to push something down my throat.

Reminds me of the Guy who gets in a bus and proceeds to light a ciggie.
The bus driver points out a sign thats says, "NO SMOKING" The guy points to another sign (Advert) that says, "Wear a ** Bra" and says, "I don't obey that sign either."

--Wolf--
22-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Those of you on Go Large are getting a credit too. Big stuff ups!

Is this because telecom aren't investing in decent backhaul, and the network couldn't cope?

from http://www.telecom.co.nz/chm/0,8763,204548-202568,00.html

So I can get the credit then move to Xnet? Too bad I've been waiting 2 months for two other credits they OWE me. Telecom are so slack at giving credits.

Laura
22-02-2007, 03:13 PM
According to a 4pm RNZ National report, Go Large customers will have "the option of staying on it with a revised policy" or choosing another plan.

Seems it hasn't actually disappeared.

Baldy
22-02-2007, 05:49 PM
At current I use about 23-25 gig a month. The first available plan that allows me to do this without losing speed or incure extra charges will cost me NZD99.95

If you thought Telecom were going to allow full speed flat rate so you can hog 25gig you are nuts

Terry Porritt
22-02-2007, 06:42 PM
The Telecom spokesman on TV3 news this evening said that Telecom had only discovered Go Large was not working as they thought it should have been LAST WEEK.

I am left speechless :)

But not quite, it is obvious they they have all been hoisted by their own petard of "management by confusion" as admitted earlier in the year by the Gattung woman.

Metla
22-02-2007, 07:24 PM
If you thought Telecom were going to allow full speed flat rate so you can hog 25gig you are nuts

You mean because Telecom are deceitful thieves or because 25GB is in your opinion outrageous?

Fraid to say if its the latter then you have merely been sucked in by the Telecom attitude, At the end of the day 25GB isn't a large amount of data spread over a month, And falls well within fair use rather then excessive use.

stu161204
22-02-2007, 09:34 PM
For now maybe, until lots of people find out and switch to them. Xnet only need a few days of problems with conjestion to get a bad name. This problem happened to orcon not long ago.

thatís what I said early on this thread :), its just a matter of time, before we start seeing xnet sucks threads.

SKT174
22-02-2007, 10:10 PM
Just did a speed test on my Go Large plan ... :(

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/golarge.jpg

rogerp
22-02-2007, 10:35 PM

Thats not that bad, I sometimes get that on my Slingshot connection. Maybe slingshot should also be refunding their customers, as in the evenings speeds get very slow.

stu161204
22-02-2007, 10:37 PM

thatís northing, I have had worse.

msnforum
23-02-2007, 07:23 AM
I used Go Large for one month only, which is about 2 month ago. I managed to get over 60gb per month and I switched back to Broadband GO until school starts. Right now it's start of the year and the plan is gone...