PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista, the National Security Agency and a missing encrypted virtual drive

Naed
21-02-2007, 02:11 PM
Using The Bat! Private Disk (v2.09) I had created and stored a virtual encrypted drive disguised as a windows system file in the Windows folder of Windows Vista (Business), with the intention of storing confidential files, pirated software, etc.

Within a day of creating the file I went to access it to find it had disappeared. Thinking I may have inadvertently deleted it, I then used a cluster-level search tool (Directory Snoop), only to again find no trace of it. Given my new laptop has a 120 GB hard drive, most of which is unused, it would be unlikely all traces of the file could have been organically Gutmann cleansed.

Expostulations; A major bug in Vista? Microsoft conspiracy? Is this the helping hand of the NSA (http://blogs.pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/tux-love/2007/01/vista_really_is_spyware.html)? :eek:

Murray P
21-02-2007, 02:17 PM
There is no need to worry, it is merely a common or garden variety bu... feature.

Hitech
21-02-2007, 03:51 PM
I dont quite know if i can answer this question,But i do know that if you do anything illegal on vista it slowly over time shuts itself down.
Maybe thats the beginning of it who knows.

jermsie
21-02-2007, 04:19 PM
That's strange. Im not interested in buying vista for a variety of reasons including the assisstance that the NSA gave microsoft.

pctek
21-02-2007, 04:19 PM
I had created a virtual encrypted drive the intention of storing pirated software
I went to access it to find it had disappeared.

Well you can't really complain then can you?

Graham L
21-02-2007, 05:24 PM
This is probably a Microsoft function designed to protect you, by keeping your OS working. It will be checking all the system files, and making sure they are (1) there, (2) the correct version, and (3) not corrupted (e.g. by virus activity).

I would expect that any extra "unexpected" files which "look like Windows system files" would be considered as not helpful to keeping your installation working. What can they do but delete them?

You will probably find a mention of what they have done in a log file somewhere.

Big John
22-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Using The Bat! Private Disk (v2.09) I had created and stored a virtual encrypted drive disguised as a windows system file in the Windows folder of Windows Vista (Business), with the intention of storing confidential files, pirated software, etc.

So you replaced a system file and expected the newest more secure windows to leave it alone. Sounds like the system worked exactly as it should and removed the bogus file.

You should have made it some other filename and stored it elsewhere.

Then again maybe it detected the pirated software and removed it for that reason.

Hitech
22-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Vista is not for pirates including Johnny Depp