PDA

View Full Version : failed updates

effie c
19-02-2007, 08:39 AM
Hi,
Would somebody enlighten me as to why seven routine updates -automaticly downloaded but failing to install.
I have had no trouble up to now - everything has worked according to plan -they,the updates, appear amongst others to be - powerpoint,several security patches for Office 2003, but twice now a restart of the install process fails.
I see my Nortons antivirus checks pop up as usual and I am well satisfied with Nortons
I am using XP with 512 mb ram and a 3.6 mhz cpu, and 40 gb h/d
effie c

pctek
19-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Because they are from Microsoft.

So long as you have 3rd party protection on your PC then stuff the updates.

trig42
19-02-2007, 03:44 PM
You could try diabling automatic updates temporarily, restarting, going to the windows update site manually and doing the updates, restart if necessary and re-enable automatic updates.

This has fixed this for me in the past, sometimes windows updates get confused and needs a kick.

effie c
20-02-2007, 08:15 AM
Hi Trig42 & Pctek,
I have tried manually, I do have 3 rd party protection-non has worked.
I went into ad/remove and the last update installed automatically was Windows XP on Feb 16
This hiccup appears specifcally against Office 2003, and in which all updates have previously installed, so why hiccup now?
I have received an e mail which has accepted my query ( they made it sound like a privilege that it had been selected), but I will bite my tongue- a reply will be here within 1 working day- today.
I have even as I type this seen Nortons pop up stating yet again,they had to vet such and such file, as it came in on yet again, a fresh download -all for office , so I guess when I shut down there will be the install shield awaiting install- remember 2 out of 9 installed O K.- and it won't complete in Office
Thanks anyway - it is good to have some contacts
I shall inform you if I succeed
effie c

mmmork
20-02-2007, 08:27 AM
For some reason the latest batch of 'patch tuesday' updates didn't auto sort themselves out for me either. I don't use office so mebbe it isn't related to your prob.

Manually installing worked. Not sure if you did this already, but using IE (have to even if it isn't your default) go here http://www.microsoft.com/shared/core/1/webservice/navigation.asmx/DisplayDownlevelNavHtml?navPath=/global/SiteTemplates/f40749b9-f268-4f37-a980-adc3dc3ac38a.xml&groupName=Security%20%26%20Updates and select either Microsoft update or office update, then express install.

Speedy Gonzales
20-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Go here (http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx)

Do a custom scan, this will scan for XP/Office updates.

See if it brings up whatever updates, and if the updates appear, see if you can install from there.

If any errors appear here, tell us what the error code is.

Sometimes the site will come up with an error, which usually points to a firewall not being properly configured.

effie c
20-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Hi,
I have just done as suggested,thought I had succeeded BUT then comes failure - the following are the files I supposedly have to have and even using O/E instead of Firefox, the below is as I suspected and is based around Office 2003
I assume that I will have to wait on Microsoft to e mail me as they said they would ( within 1 working day) - so far that deadline has gone- perhaps they have a longer day in the States :rolleyes:

Installation Summary

Successful: 0
Failed: 7
Remaining: 0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft Office 2003
Security Update for Office 2003 (KB929064)
Security Update for Word 2003 (KB929057)
Update for Excel 2003 (KB929058)
Update for Office 2003 (KB925251)
Update for Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB924885)
Update for PowerPoint 2003 (KB929060)

Speedy Gonzales
20-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Looks like you're not the only one with this problem (http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.officeupdate/browse_thread/thread/6025e750c78bf232/934b84f9c5468ade#934b84f9c5468ade)

Go to the link on the link above.

here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304498/en-us)

Or This:

1st Rename Office subkeys

Note: Removing the following registry keys may reset customized user
settings for your Microsoft Office programs.

1. Close all the applications.
2. Click on Start->Run, type in REGEDIT and click on OK.
3. Locate and select the following registry subkeys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0

4. Right click on 11.0 and rename them to Old11.
5. Close the Registry Editor.

2nd. Detect and Repair Office 2003

1. On the Windows taskbar, click Start, point to and click Control Panel.
2. Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
3. Click Change/Remove Programs on the left pane.
4. Highlight Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 on the right pane
and click Change.
5. Insert the correct version of CD when it requires.
6. Select "Reinstall and Repair" and click Next.
7. Select "Detect and Repair errors in my Office installation".
8. Click Install and wait the process to end.

3rd. Install the Update

effie c
20-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Hi Speedy Gonzalez,
I take my hat off to you ( and give you a courtly bow )-
:thumbs:
seriously, that post of yours, printed out and followed meticulously ---WORKED - thank you very much, in fact I have saved the "how to " in case of another error of some sort.
Do I delete the "old 11" file in the registry or not?
In your site re "others have suffered the same" problem- is a similar correction sequence , but I was only too glad to follow your sample- ie my brain has deteriorated in terms of reading computer-ese let alone my panic if I goofed off
:lol:
Effie c

Speedy Gonzales
20-02-2007, 03:15 PM
No worries :)

Good to hear the updates worked there Effie :thumbs:

Nah I wouldnt worry about deleting the old11 entries.

If its working fine, it wont hurt to leave them there.