PDA

View Full Version : USB to Serial Adapter

garyasta
17-02-2007, 12:52 PM
I have been transfering data from PC to laptop and setting up the new system.

Previously i had been running a parallel printer and scanner setup on the PC. However in trying to set up the laptop, I found that the 25 pin connectors were not suited to the USB laptop arrangement.

I purchased from the local computer store a USB to Serial Adapter that required a mini gender changer (F25-F25) which plugged into another adapter that stepped the 25 pin down to another plug/socket (squarish) that lead to the USB plug for insertion to the laptop.

I downloaded and installed the latest software for the printer and the scanner and installed the software that came with the adapter setup. This included a 'USB to Serial Adapter' driver and a 'USB Parallel' printer cable driver. I was informed by the system that XP did not need the latter driver.

I have been unable to get the system to recognise the printer, the scanner, or the USB driver. I get a message that a 'USB device is not recognised'. The printer software appears to be recognised (displays icon in taskbar) but will not print, producing an error message. The scanner icon indicates that the scanner is not connected.

The unit supplied is a BAFO 'USB to Serial (DB-25) Adapter' BF-800 along with the F25-F25 mini gender changer. I am using WinXP SP2.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers
Gary

Mike
17-02-2007, 12:58 PM
While the serial and parallel interface plugs might be similar, you are unlikely to get a parallel device (printer) working on a serial interface (or in your case the serial to usb adapter). The USB adapter software/driver is expecting a serial device to be plugged into it, and you have a parallel device plugged into it.

I don't know if there are parallel to USB adapters, but if there are, that is what you will need.

Mike.

garyasta
17-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Hi Mike

Thanks for the input.

It looks as if I might have got a bit of a bum steer from the computer shop.

I'll do a bit of research myself and get back to them.

Cheers
Gary

godfather
17-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Mike is right.

You need one of these (perhaps)
http://www.mgram.co.nz/product_info.php?products_id=1840&gclid=CJuw-KCztIoCFQojggod1FOZvw

However as to it working depends on your printer driver being capable of recognising a "software created" parallel port, many will simply refuse to see such ports that a USB adapter creates, as they are not quite what they were expecting.

before you spend a lot of money on adapters that may not work, have you considered buying a USB printer/scanner instead, the cost of some of the cheaper ones are not a lot more than the adapter...

PENTIUM
17-02-2007, 03:09 PM
You need the BAFO USB to parallel printer adaptor. I use one and it works.. You need to load the correct BAFO driver on the disk provided with the unit.
There may have been an error by the vendor of what you bought.

garyasta
17-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Thanks guys.

Gary

godfather
17-02-2007, 05:01 PM
But heed my caveat. Not all printer drivers will "see" a software port, however created.

That PENTIUM's does is fortunate, but not all printers are the same, we have no idea if you both use the same make and model of printer.