PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP to new HD?

ramu
16-02-2007, 07:52 PM
I am replacing a 5 year old PC where the master HD is 40GHz with WXP Hm Edn OS. Am I allowed to keep this in the new PC or copy the entire HD to a brand new bigger HD; or do I have to buy a new one. What is MS' copyright position on this point.

Speedy Gonzales
16-02-2007, 08:00 PM
Just as long as the motherboard (and everything else) is the same it shouldnt be a prob. All you're replacing is the hdd.

If you reinstall XP on the new hdd.

You may need something like Ghost (or whatever makes an image / backup), if you dont want to reinstall XP.

But if you're talking about reinstalling XP on another PC (while the other hdd has still got XP on it), that maybe another matter. You may have to ring MS to activate it. Whether they do it or not, is another matter.

ramu
16-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks Speedy. In this case, I am replacing mobo & intending to keep the HD with the OS. My question was if this could be copied to a new one or if I could keep this in the 'new' unit.

Speedy Gonzales
16-02-2007, 08:20 PM
It may still work, but you'll have to activate it again, once XP is installed.
(Because you've changed the mobo). Thats if the mobo isnt the same as the previous mobo.

If it doesnt, just ring MS tell me you've changed the mobo, and they should be able to help you with activiating it again.

I suppose you could copy it to a new hdd (whatever is on the hdd you've got now - the 40 GB). BUT, you may need something like Ghost to do it, if you dont want to refomat the new hdd before you install XP on it.

ramu
16-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks Speedy. I would rather MOVE the HD to the new PC & more than happy to ring MS to discuss. By the way (curious to learn) could you explain a bit more of the Ghost, thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
16-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Info on Ghost is here (http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/overview.jsp?pcid=br&pvid=ghost10)

I've never used it so cant tell u much about it.

There are other programs around tho, besides Ghost.

ramu
16-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Your help is very much appreciated Speedy. Thanks.

pctek
17-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Thanks Speedy. I would rather MOVE the HD to the new PC & more than happy to ring MS to discuss. By the way (curious to learn) could you explain a bit more of the Ghost, thanks.

Ghost creates an image of your drive. It won't work in this case because you are changing the MB. Which WIndows XP won't like at all.

You can try doing a repair install of WIndows on it, but I suspect it still won't like it and you will have to do a fresh install.

I wouldn't tell MS you've changed the MB - they'll probably decide that constitutes a new PC and tell you your OEM copy of WIndows should be tossed out with the old MB.

You don't have to tell them anything anyway, just do the install and activate via the automated phone thing.

Or tell them you had to reinstall.