PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation: WLAN card for FC5

johnd
13-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Has anyone installed a WLAN PCI card in Fedora Core 5 or 6 and got it to work out of the box? Many cards that purport to work seem to have problems on the forums. Major issue seems to be that manufacturers change chipsets without any change to the model number, packaging etc!

Any suggestions?

johnd
14-02-2007, 09:43 PM
This is a mine-field! I have been researching most of the evening and the problem is that the chipset is essential to know. Manufacturers do not put this in the specifications so how can you be sure what you are getting.

Are there any NZ shops that can sell me a WLAN card knowing for sure what chipset is used?

P.S. I have to travel to CHCH and install this in my daugher's PC so I want it to work without hours of work!

Chilling_Silence
15-02-2007, 09:35 AM
I bought a few of the old 802.11b ones from DSE, using some zydas1201 chipset. You'd be surprised how good the linux support is for wlan drivers! Explain to the seller your situation that you might like to come back and change for another brand if it doesnt work out.. but it should... :D

johnd
15-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Thanks for that - I will give DSE a go tomorrow.

JSD

johnd
15-02-2007, 08:59 PM
After many hours of searching I have found a ASUS card (WL-138g V2) where the manufacturer provides a driver (source code) tested in FC3. This card is available in NZ - any one tried it in Linux?

Jen
15-02-2007, 09:07 PM
To get a wider Linux audience (especially wireless users) you could try posting on the New Zealand Linux User Group (NZLUG) mailing list. See here (http://www.linux.net.nz/).

I can't help as I don't use wireless here. :)

Dannz
16-02-2007, 05:48 AM
After many hours of searching I have found a ASUS card (WL-138g V2) where the manufacturer provides a driver (source code) tested in FC3. This card is available in NZ - any one tried it in Linux?

It's also possible to use ndiswrapper

See Here (http://www.atlink.it/%7Econti/articles/asus-wl-138g-54mbps-and-linux/)

Graham L
16-02-2007, 04:03 PM
In general, older hardware is the best. :D Any problems have been found, and fixes propagated if the particular device is popular.

Wireless cards do seem to be tricky ... :(

A good search string for Google is something like "<make and model of a card> linux FC5 problems". That often gets a list of problems, and where a fix can be found, or, even better, a statement that there are no problems. :D

johnd
17-02-2007, 09:19 PM
...zydas1201 chipset....

All gone!

johnd
17-02-2007, 09:20 PM
It's also possible to use ndiswrapper

I may have to resort to this yet - but the idea of using a MSWindows driver on a Linux OS just does not seem ideal to me!

johnd
17-02-2007, 09:27 PM
But I am also considering just putting a cable in. I have a flat with a Apple OSX, WinXP and FC5 to get going. I will do wireless for the Apple & OSX and cable for the Linux PC. I have viewed technical sheets by the dozen and none I can find actually say the chipset used. So there seems to be no way to guarantee that a card I buy will work.

beama
18-02-2007, 08:22 AM
Im using a Cisco wireless (aironet) card in RH9 On my laptop Had no trouble with detection of it But as said earlier older the better

Dannz
18-02-2007, 08:31 AM
But I am also considering just putting a cable in. I have a flat with a Apple OSX, WinXP and FC5 to get going. I will do wireless for the Apple & OSX and cable for the Linux PC. I have viewed technical sheets by the dozen and none I can find actually say the chipset used. So there seems to be no way to guarantee that a card I buy will work.

Wired may be the way to go, as its really hard to be sure something will work (unless you want to use ndiswrapper, which i admit, is defeating a bit of the point of running linux)

beama
18-02-2007, 09:08 AM

Yep cable maybe easest way to go here, are you also setting file/printer sharing on that LAN.

johnd
18-02-2007, 06:20 PM
There may be file and print sharing but the main point is to share an internet connection.