PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Wont Boot, Please Help!

kLOTTiS
08-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Hey guys,

I have a computer with relatively new specs, and it has 2 Hard Drives, One 250gb and one 20gb. I have recently installed a trial version of Windows Vista on the 20gb HDD while the other Hard Drive was unplugged to make sure it didn't try to Upgrade or Damage my MBR. I have used it for a couple of days and decided that since it was only a 30 day trial, that I would not install any programs that I could have on my XP install. I have Vista running with my XP Hard drive as a Slave, However yesterday when I needed to burn some family videos onto a DVD for my sister who left Auckland this morning , It came up with an error something along the lines of "Invalid Boot Disk Please Insert Boot Disk" shortly after the "Press Del to enter setup" on a Phoenix or Award Bios. So I missed out on giving her the disk, Not a huge deal, I can post it to her on a later date.

However I cant boot into my XP Install, Vista is still working (for now) and I can access the data through Vista

Can somebody please help! I would really really like my computer back :p Using Vista is not an option and I have around 20 days left until Activation Expires

All I remember doing to the other Hard drive is creating a folder called Local Disk ( C; ) - Thats with a semi-colon and putting a couple of mp3s and photos in there. Would that make a difference?

Speedy Gonzales
08-02-2007, 05:20 PM
It came up with an error something along the lines of "Invalid Boot Disk Please Insert Boot Disk" shortly after the "Press Del to enter setup" on a Phoenix or Award Bios.

Is it on the hdd, thats got XP on it? The boot option in the BIOS?

There's no floppies in the disk drive, if u have a disk drive is there? Or cd's in the cdrom?

racepics
08-02-2007, 05:23 PM
Once you had Vista installed did you boot the machine with both hard drives plugged in? Vista has probably altered the mbr on the big XP drive.
I've heard (read) it doesnt tolerate dual booting very well.
Vista can be really nice like that........
This doesnt solve your problem tho.
You could try a third party boot manager such as XOSL
http://www2.arnes.si/~fkomar/xosl.org/

kLOTTiS
08-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Is it on the hdd, thats got XP on it? The boot option in the BIOS?

There's no floppies in the disk drive, if u have a disk drive is there? Or cd's in the cdrom?

It has a floppy drive, but its empty and there was nothing in the CD or DVD drives

kLOTTiS
08-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Once you had Vista installed did you boot the machine with both hard drives plugged in? Vista has probably altered the mbr on the big XP drive.
I've heard (read) it doesnt tolerate dual booting very well.
Vista can be really nice like that........
This doesnt solve your problem tho.
You could try a third party boot manager such as XOSL
http://www2.arnes.si/~fkomar/xosl.org/

Not on the first boot, I put the slave (XP) in about the 3rd time I booted into Vista

Speedy Gonzales
08-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Can u see the XP hdd, if u boot Vista up??

If u can check the boot.ini file on the XP hdd. Copy and paste what it says here.

It may have something wrong in it, or its got an invalid entry.

You'll have to untick the protected system files in my computer to see it.

kLOTTiS
09-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Can u see the XP hdd, if u boot Vista up??

If u can check the boot.ini file on the XP hdd. Copy and paste what it says here.

It may have something wrong in it, or its got an invalid entry.

You'll have to untick the protected system files in my computer to see it.

Hmmm... I had a look for boot.ini on my XP Drive (Which is mounted as F: in Vista) and couldn't find it, Where abouts should it be? I did a search and found boot.ini.backup maybe its gone completely but has a backup?

kLOTTiS
09-02-2007, 05:52 PM
This was found in F:/Windows/pss (Normally C:/Windows/pss)
along with system.ini.backup and win.ini.backup and @ vista sidebar .lnkStartup
:D
It doesnt look like a system folder to me

Speedy Gonzales
09-02-2007, 07:09 PM
It should be on F (whatever XP is on) on F.

Its not in a folder, well its not in a folder on this. Just C:\boot.ini

kLOTTiS
12-02-2007, 04:00 PM
Just to clarify

F:/ is Windows XP
C:/ is Vista

Sorry to confuse you.

There is no boot.ini file in F:/ Root Directory and hidden files and folders are being shown

trig42
13-02-2007, 03:07 PM
You have to untick the 'Hide Protected Operating System Files' option as well.

Do you have your XP CD? You could boot into recovery console (like dos) and run fixboot

tupaloops
07-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Not sure if this is but, the Bios and RAM might be setup for windows vista now, you may need to reset ur Bios or start your computer up without the ram in once, then the second boot put the RAM in. try doing this when your trial is out!

wainuitech
07-02-2008, 02:02 PM
if you installed Vista without the XP drive attached,then booted into Vista, even after reattaching the XP drive Vista shouldn't have changed the Boot.ini.
If you had the XP drive connected when installing Vista it would have changed it, so you can boot into either XP or Vista.

If the Vista Drive is still connected, you need to change the boot order, other wise its trying to boot Vista, Not XP.

I do this almost every day, have a Vista PC as one of the workshop PC's, attach a customers Drive ( XP) as a slave to clean and sometimes copy data, and it NEVER changes the XP boot.ini Vista Sees XP as a slave drive- nothing more.

RAM has nothing to do with what OS boots first.

Heres what the boot.ini should look like for a XP with no other OS:

Sample Boot.ini File
This is a sample of a default Boot.ini file from a Windows XP Professional computer.
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect