PDA

View Full Version : Logging into the domain via wireless

Jimmy D
08-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Hi everyone,
The situation goes as follows; I have a laptop that is joined to the domain, i have wireless setup using WPA2 with PEAP authentication where it automatically logs onto the wireless network with the windows login name and password. Now if I boot up the laptop with no wires connected ie. ethernet cable, i cannot log onto the domain (CTRL+ALT+DEL) as any user (gives domain not available message) because the wireless doesnt connect until you're logged on so it can authenticate your username and password. however if i attempt to logon when using an ethernet cable it obviously connects at the logon screen so you can logon. logon logon logon lol.
There is sort of a way around this problem; if i log on using ethernet cable as joe.bloggs, log off, remove the ethernet cable and log on again as joe.bloggs it will let me log on and then proceed to connect to wireless shortly after. But if you are a user that hasnt logged onto this particular laptop on a wired connection then you will not be able to log on on wireless.

Does anyone know a way around this problem? perhaps there is a program out there that adds and addional logon screen for the wireless at the windows logon?
I've googled the problem and there is one solution i found at http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t91060.html but seems to compromise security because it is authenticating using the mac addresses.

Help appreciated :)
Thanks
Jim

berryb
08-02-2007, 10:08 PM
I have wireless on two Domains and don't have any problems. Wireless enables on PC boot and get an ip address from DHCP server no problems using pre shared key. Is this an issue with the PEAP having to have a secure connection via software that loads from a local account??

Sorry haven't got an answer as it's never been a problem.

SolMiester
08-02-2007, 10:30 PM
I have wireless on two Domains and don't have any problems. Wireless enables on PC boot and get an ip address from DHCP server no problems using pre shared key. Is this an issue with the PEAP having to have a secure connection via software that loads from a local account??

Sorry haven't got an answer as it's never been a problem.

Thats a good point, it should be the system account if this software is needed to attach to the network before user account login. Is that PEAP as in secure authentication?.