PDA

View Full Version : Spam & Hijacked domain name

iansmcdonald
08-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Like most people, I get a lot of spam, particularly ones urging me to buy a particular stock now because in a few days its price will soar on the back of an important announcement.
Sadly, someone has hijacked my domain name and is sending this spam as if it is coming from me. That's not too horrific, but what is a real pain is that of course many recipients don't really exist, or if they do, their mail server recognises it as spam. Either way, the spam then bounces back to the supposed sender - me. For the last month or so it's been fairly consistent at about 60 per day. Not enough to cause real problems, but an irritation.
My question is, can I do anything to stop this? Is this common?
I'm pretty sure that I don't have any kind of virus/trojan/whatever that really IS sending out spam from my own computer, so I suspect there is nothing I can do. Anybody got any sensibile suggestions?

IRMoon
08-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Possibly setting up another email account under your domain name - I use spam@mydomain.com, then use this as a catch-all for all mail not directly addressed to iansmcdonald@yourdomain.com. If the iansmcdonald is the problem, then perhaps setting up a NEW email address and using the old as the catch-all. You'd still have to check the catch-all semi regularly to make sure any REAL email isn't getting through to the wrong email address.

Just a thought :D

I also use a signup@mydomain.com to sign up for things like forums and various things, the theory being that if I start getting heaps more spam from a dodgy site who sells my email address to some other list server, then I can always just block the signup@mydomain.com email account to eliminate the spam.

It's a fag, but it may help

decibel
08-02-2007, 10:20 AM
I get it a lot at work and there's nothing much you can do about it other than trying to set up a filter on your inbox so they get deleted immediately.

rogerp
08-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Like most people, I get a lot of spam, particularly ones urging me to buy a particular stock now because in a few days its price will soar on the back of an important announcement.
Sadly, someone has hijacked my domain name and is sending this spam as if it is coming from me. That's not too horrific, but what is a real pain is that of course many recipients don't really exist, or if they do, their mail server recognises it as spam. Either way, the spam then bounces back to the supposed sender - me. For the last month or so it's been fairly consistent at about 60 per day. Not enough to cause real problems, but an irritation.
My question is, can I do anything to stop this? Is this common?
I'm pretty sure that I don't have any kind of virus/trojan/whatever that really IS sending out spam from my own computer, so I suspect there is nothing I can do. Anybody got any sensibile suggestions?

Sounds like you have still got a 'catchall' address setup. Remove this and it will stop a lot of the spam bounces. Also maybe switch to a hoting provider that has a good spam and virus filtering, such as spam assassin