PDA

View Full Version : media problem

toekneemac
08-02-2007, 03:44 AM
HELP!!

LOL Problem: I cannot play any kind of media on any kind of media player. I cannot play media on windows media player, VLC, Real Media.

When i try to begin a clip, it say's "opening media" but it will never play. When I close the player device, and then hit Ctr-Alt-Del it says that whichever media device I chose, is not responding. After I close it in the Ctl-Alt-Del window, the computer freezes. It was working fine, and then all of the sudden starting doing this. I have reinstalled the players and codecs a couple times.

I am on Win 98 with no Win 98 Disk.:mad: \

Any help would be much appretiated.

Thanks

groggmann
08-02-2007, 04:55 AM
What about sound and video card drivers? Did you try to reinstall it?

toekneemac
08-02-2007, 10:07 AM
What about sound and video card drivers? Did you try to reinstall it?

No sir, I did not. Can I download them? And where would I find out which ones to get, if you please? Would they be on the Windows 98 cd? I hope not! lol Thank You

IRMoon
08-02-2007, 10:19 AM
No they aren't on the 98 CD... well they might be but you can probably go to the manufacturers website where they SHOULD be available for download. You need to get the make and model of your soundcard, which you may be able to establish through the COntrol Panel -> System -> Hardware Manager, although it's probably just as easy to whip the side off the machine and check the actual hardware out - if you've got a driver issue, Win98 may not detect the right piece of hardware in the Control Panel anyways...

toekneemac
08-02-2007, 10:26 AM
No they aren't on the 98 CD... well they might be but you can probably go to the manufacturers website where they SHOULD be available for download. You need to get the make and model of your soundcard, which you may be able to establish through the COntrol Panel -> System -> Hardware Manager, although it's probably just as easy to whip the side off the machine and check the actual hardware out - if you've got a driver issue, Win98 may not detect the right piece of hardware in the Control Panel anyways...

OK. I went to device manager and under "sound, video, & game" I found two items:

creative sound blaster audioPCI64v AND SB audioPCI 64V legacy device. Nothing with video at all. Those were the only two items under "sound, video, & game" Am I missing a video card?

And, I don't know if this matters, but I can play media on say google video and/or youtube. Are those different maybe?

Say that I find the cards and download them. Where do I save them to?

Thank You

IRMoon
08-02-2007, 10:35 AM
Your video card is more likely to be listed under "Display Adapters".

The drivers are usually in an installable .exe file... you just download them to wherever you like and then run them - they know where to go from there.

I've done the leg work for you and found what I believe to be the right drivers for your soundcard at least here (http://au.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp?MainCategory=1&nRegionFK=&nCountryFK=&nLanguageFK=&sOSName=Windows+98&region=2&Product_Name=Sound+Blaster+PCI+64&Product_ID=1865&modelnumber=&driverlang=1033&OS=2&drivertype=1&x=17&y=9). As for your video... depends on what you found!!

toekneemac
08-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Your video card is more likely to be listed under "Display Adapters".

The drivers are usually in an installable .exe file... you just download them to wherever you like and then run them - they know where to go from there.

I've done the leg work for you and found what I believe to be the right drivers for your soundcard at least here (http://au.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp?MainCategory=1&nRegionFK=&nCountryFK=&nLanguageFK=&sOSName=Windows+98&region=2&Product_Name=Sound+Blaster+PCI+64&Product_ID=1865&modelnumber=&driverlang=1033&OS=2&drivertype=1&x=17&y=9). As for your video... depends on what you found!!

OK I'll try the sound cards.

The video card was where you said it was. Here is what it said:

intel(R) 810e chipset graphics driver (DC133FSB133) 4.11.01.1361

Thank you very much for your help, I was lost! Thank You

IRMoon
08-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Just incase you hadn't found the video driver yet, check out this page (http://www.intel.com/design/software/drivers/platform/archived_810.htm) on the Intel website...

Hope this helps you!!

toekneemac
08-02-2007, 11:10 AM
So far, no luck with the sound drivers. Still the same problem. I'll try the video next. If that does not work, would you have any other suggestions?

Thank You

toekneemac
08-02-2007, 12:02 PM
No luck with the video drivers either. the only other thing I can think of, is that I tried to install a webcam. During installation, it asked for my Windows 98 CD, which I do not have. So I uninstalled whatever was installed for the cam. I don't know. Any other ideas?? Thank You