PDA

View Full Version : Oops, toasted my hard-drive!

peejay
07-02-2007, 06:58 PM
Dont ask why but I felt the need to reformat my main hard-drive C: so I reinstalled WinXP to the D drive and tried to reformat but Windows wouldnt let me so I whipped out a partition program (Partition Magic) and formatted with that.
Now I cannot access my C drive or windows. The only way I can get the system running is to re-install Windows to the D drive each time, I cannot boot to it.
Is my C drive history? How can I get it back or do I throw it all in the tide?
Cheers,
Pat

pctek
07-02-2007, 07:08 PM
So why did you put Windows on D: at all? Why not just reformat and install to C: like it was before.
C: would have been activated as Boot partition, D: obviously isn't, so it wants to boot off C:

peejay
07-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Blame it on Waitangi Day blues but I thought I would need to have WinXP on the other drive so I could do the format and then move it back to the C drive. Anyway, what next? Is it toast or do I pay a visit to MrFixit?

Poppa John
07-02-2007, 07:59 PM
This peejay is NOT this PJ. !!!!!!!!!!!!! PJ:)

Speedy Gonzales
07-02-2007, 08:00 PM
Do a clean install. Back up what u want to keep (forget copying programs that have been installed already, reinstall them).

Put the cd in boot from it (if u have it), then delete both partitions in the XP setup screen and re-create them if u want more than 1 partition. Then reinstall XP on C.