PDA

View Full Version : Format CD-RW in XP?

pipercub
07-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Hi

Anyone able to tell me how to format CD-RWs in XP? Doesn`t seem to be any way that I can see. I use Nero 6 for burning but if I install and try to use Neros` InCd packet writer it won`t work. XPs` writing programme takes over.
I can`t seem to find anything relevant in the Press F1 archives either.

Cheers:
Pipercub

pcuser42
07-02-2007, 12:50 PM
No can do, you have to use Nero.

pipercub
07-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Thanks but problem is that the windows packet writer takes over stopping InCd from working. I should be able to right click on the writer in control panel and click on format. Also, I can set InCd to open the format dialogue when a blank CD-RW disc is inserted in the wrier. Trouble is that this doesn`t happen. I may need to disable the packet writing part of the Windows writing programme. How I do that I don`t know or even if it can be done.

Cheers:
pipercub

Speedy Gonzales
07-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Are u using the latest version of INCD?

Go to control panel / admin tools / services. Double click on IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service and disable it.

It doesn't do much anyway, it only does anything if u use Window Media Player when you want to rip a cd.

pipercub
07-02-2007, 05:26 PM
Hi Speedy.

Thanks for the reply. Tried what you suggested. Have the latest InCd. V4.3.23.2. The only thing that happened was that the windows app came up but wouldn`t write to the CD-RW disc. Window came up saying that there was no disc in the drive. InCd did nothing as before. Reverted to the previous settings and was able to write to the CD-Rw as usual but still no joy with InCd.

Cheers:
Pipercub

Speedy Gonzales
07-02-2007, 05:42 PM
What version of Nero have u got??

If u have Nero 7, u could use Nero Express, click on the side arrow thing then select erase disc.

I don't use INCD so can't tell u what to do / how to use it / or how to fix your prob.

You could try updating INCD, since its up to 5. something, but I don't think its free.

pipercub
07-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Hi Again. Using Nero Version 6.6.1.4. I downloaded InCd version 4.3.23.2 yesterday. This is, supposedly, the latest version.
I don`t have any problem erasing CD-RW discs. Windows writing app will do that along with, as you say, Nero. My problem is formatting new CD-RW discs before use.

Cheers:
Pipercub

Speedy Gonzales
07-02-2007, 08:57 PM
What exactly are you burning to these CDRW's??

If you're formatting the same CDRW over and over again, just delete the files on it then re-use it.

pipercub
07-02-2007, 09:10 PM
That`s what I`m doing . Writing to the CD-RW then erasing and re-using it. I`m talking about formatting a new CD-RW or DVD-RW before first use. The ones I`m using are several years old but darned if I remember how they were formatted in the first place.
What do you use to format CD-RWs` before use?

Cheers:
Pipercub

Speedy Gonzales
07-02-2007, 09:58 PM
That`s what I`m doing . Writing to the CD-RW then erasing and re-using it. I`m talking about formatting a new CD-RW or DVD-RW before first use. The ones I`m using are several years old but darned if I remember how they were formatted in the first place.
What do you use to format CD-RWs` before use?

Cheers:
Pipercub

I don't really use CDRW's only cdr or DVD blanks.

And its usually Music cd's I make from MP3's I've got, or videos I've recorded.

Neither have to be formatted before you burn to them.

I either use Nero or Nerovision for DVD's and Nero burns whatever to the cd/dvd without formatting (Altho you shouldnt format cd's or DVD's if you're making music cds or dvd's). They wont work in a stand-alone dvd/cd player if u do.

I used to back up on cdr or cdrw, but now I just use a spare partition and download updates / files to it. So, I can reinstall them, whenever I have to format the hdd.

pipercub
07-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Yes, it was only CD-RW discs I was thinking about. Ah well.......... I`ll worry about the problem when the discs I`m using finally give up the ghost.

Thanks anyway!
Pipercub