PDA

View Full Version : adsl2+ means new backhaul for whole network?

lance4k
07-02-2007, 11:24 AM
ok we all know telecom's infrastructure can't handle all the broadband users which is probably why adsl is slow. but someone said when telecom roll out adsl2+ in march,that is uses a new backhaul. does this mean we will get fast speeds? And can only adsl2+ users use the new backhaul or can adsl1 users use it to?

stu161204
07-02-2007, 11:40 AM
ok we all know telecom's infrastructure can't handle all the broadband users which is probably why adsl is slow.

Plus not enough overseas (& maybe local) bandwidth for Go Large users

but someone said when telecom roll out adsl2+ in march,that is uses a new backhaul. does this mean we will get fast speeds?

ADSL2 is a faster speeds ;), the questions is:

* How much will it cost?
* What sort of bandwidth caps we are going to have?
* Are we going to get the FULL ADSL2 speeds or is telcome going to limit it.

And can only adsl2+ users use the new backhaul or can adsl1 users use it to?

I think ADSL2 users can only use the new backhaul, but I could be wrong.

jermsie
07-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Around mid last year there was a lot of work at exchanges all over the country. New fibre backhaul has been planned in christchurch and I think in other cities. Without that, there would be a massive lock up and adsl2+ would probably be reduced to 256k~

msnforum
07-02-2007, 01:30 PM
I suggest they remove bandwidth caps for those who are willing to stay on using ADSL 1 router, which might not be possible.

bonkiebonks
07-02-2007, 04:28 PM
I doubt Telecom will rate-limit the ADSL2 speed. Even if they were, they would probably rate-limit it somewhere above the ADSL1 speeds, otherwise it defeats the purpose of installing ADSL2 gears, as people would just stay on ADSL1.