PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Stubbon Spyware & Viruses

radium
06-02-2007, 05:20 PM
I was just wanting to know how many people come across stubborn spyware & or viruses that they just give up on trying to remove and end up doing a Format & Clean reinstall.

Could this somethimes be the best & easiest solution?

Also do you backup all your important files before trying to remove spyware or viruses

Cheers.

Speedy Gonzales
06-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Haven't picked up any spyware / malware lately.

You can get rid of whatever if you know how, you don't have to format.

Formatting maybe the easiest option if u can't be bothered fixing the prob.

And sometimes you have no choice, depending on what kind of malware / trojan u get. With some, you'll have no choice but to format. If you can't get into Windows to fix it.

Nup don't do backups, I usually put what I need (ie: patches etc on a spare partition). That way, I won't have to copy it to anything else, and I won't have to download it again, when and if I format.

Most of my programs are either on CD or the partition. Just reinstall them back on when and if I format.

tweak'e
06-02-2007, 05:43 PM
i've come across a few pc's that have so full of virus's and malware that it was far quicker and easier to format/install.
also had the odd one where after removing all the malware the OS was so badly damaged that it wasn't worth saving.

radium
06-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Hi speedy, Cheers

I don't have problems with Spyware of Viruses at all myself on my comp.; I just fix a lot of friend’s computers, that are infested with Spyware & Viruses.

90% of the time I remove all the spyware and Viruses, but some stubborn ones can take me bloody ages to remove. The one I had recently that you helped with Speedy was very smart, it removed spybot, blocked the registry, cmd and disabled task manager.- the Trojan Horse that caused me the problem with that Wininet file.

I was thinking that I should back up people’s computers for difficult viruses, as I wouldn't like to lose peoples photos etc...

Because their pcs quite often have those stickers that void the warranty if you open them up, which would prevent me from hooking up their drive to my hdd as a slave and copying their files over in case the o/s won't load.

I haven't had that problem yet, but was thinking backup would be a safe option.

HJT is a great program and I have been using the program for a few years now.

radium
06-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Tweak'e I know what your saying Ive have had the same results with the o/s being badly damaged after removing viruses, I have wished I just did a reinstall to begin with.

pctek
06-02-2007, 07:44 PM
I was thinking that I should back up people’s computers for difficult viruses, as I wouldn't like to lose peoples photos etc...

Because their pcs quite often have those stickers that void the warranty if you open them up, which would prevent me from hooking up their drive to my hdd as a slave and copying their files over in case the o/s won't load.

I had one Win98 PC stuffed full of malware. It had 1069. It was at the point she couldn't run anything, or click anything. I cleaned it out but then it was damaged and being Win98........I retrieved her doc folder and wiped it.

Other than that I like to FIX them, not cheat and wipe them. Yep they can take ages but I do those here at my workshop and while you mess about and wait for scans and so on you can be doing others so no big deal.

As for backing up - its their responsibilty really.
Having said that I'll retrieve stuff for people if I am going to reformat - no it doesn't void warranties to remove a drive.

radium
06-02-2007, 07:51 PM
- no it doesn't void warranties to remove a drive.

What about when you have to remove the seal on the case when you open it, like the ones on branded computers?

qazwsxokmijn
06-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Happened to me twice. Bastards were hard to remove.

radium
06-02-2007, 08:34 PM
What’s the average hourly rate Computer Technicians charge these days to remove viruses, malware or spyware?

Also do they offer set prices to remove spyware, malware or viruses no matter how long it takes?

Speedy Gonzales
06-02-2007, 08:46 PM
What’s the average hourly rate Computer Technicians charge these days to remove viruses, malware or spyware?

Also do they offer set prices to remove spyware, malware or viruses no matter how long it takes?

I think its about $50 down the road, thats not hourly, thats just to remove something like trojans. Which can take less than 5-10 minutes!

This is the norm, and most probably a set price. No matter how long it takes.

radium
06-02-2007, 09:10 PM
No matter how long it takes, then $50 is a good price as some sure can take 5 or 10 minutes, but some can take bloody ages.

Do you ever use online virus scans Speedy, I have used Trend Micro's house call, but then I have run AVG afterwards which found a lot more than trend micro did.

Viruses scanning and viruses removal tools are time consuming to run, but are necessary.

Also Speedy when doing a virus scan should a full scan always be done or are there some folders that viruses are likley to reside in which could be selected to speed up scan times?

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
06-02-2007, 09:26 PM
Do you ever use online virus scans Speedy, I have used Trend Micro's house call, but then I have run AVG afterwards which found a lot more than trend micro did.

Nah not really, I just use Avast and do a scan every week or 2. Altho, I have bookmarked some sites that do scan a system / and files.

Viruses scanning and viruses removal tools are time consuming to run, but are necessary.

They are necessary sometimes, it depends on where u go and what you do on the net. Obviously, if you're into P2P or something, its a good idea to scan everything you get.

Also Speedy when doing a virus scan should a full scan always be done or are there some folders that viruses are likely to reside in which could be selected to speed up scan times?

A full scan would be better, even tho it'll take a bit longer. The system volume information folder (which is usually hidden, its for system restore, is a good hiding place for malware / trojans). Avast here kept on telling me I had Tenga ( a network worm). I only share one folder, but it insisted I had it lol.

I then did a scan on this system volume information folder, and (sure enough) Avast picked it up there.

So, in the end I turned system restore off, booted into safe mode, and added myself as admin to this folder. Then I went into the system volume folder and deleted everything in it to make sure it was dead and gone.

Avast hasn't picked this Tenga worm up again since.

Billy T
07-02-2007, 10:31 AM

I guess I'm wasting my time telling you that opening the case does NOT void the warranty, no matter what the seller/supplier says or writes. Unless the supplier can point to a specific action or event that physically damaged the hardware, all warranty rights remain as per the CGA.

If you don't believe me, phone or email Consumer magazine or Consumer Affairs.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)