PDA

View Full Version : clipboard viewer

effie c
05-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Hi,
This makes me look dumber than I really am- and that is relative :D
but-
I downloaded a program that would show me if my computer would take Vista- for curiosity purposes only, as I am well satisfied with Windows XP Pro---I was told to take the key as shown in a small window and post it to my clipboard- I did that but where do I find that clipboard ?and how do I retrieve it to carry on installing this adviser? no search can find this-
but I am stuck on how to retrieve the asked for code from the clipboard anyway
:blush: :lol:

Effie C

Speedy Gonzales
05-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Ah, where did u get this adviser program from?? Did u get it from the MS site??

AFAIK, you don't need a key to install the MS Vista adviser. Well I didn't have to put one in.

smithie 38
05-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Ah well Effie - you and I are in the same category - dummies ;)

I downloaded Vista advisor from the MS site and it asked me to instal the .NET Framework, before it could continue.

Hey Speedie how do I instal that, or where do I find it please??

Thanks Smithie

yzhu
05-02-2007, 03:23 PM
I think you are confusing the upgrade advisor with the Windows Genuine Advantage EXE validator (for browsers other than IE).

Download the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor here (http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/3/9/239542d5-9ad1-4af4-97e9-0762d55ce4d1/WindowsVistaUpgradeAdvisor.msi).

effie c
05-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Hi Speedy G,
I got that "adviser" - I thought from the windows site- I must be deteriorating mentally but I was directed there,as a m/s site
I don't have any malware etc - scanned at least twice a week- but well before Christmas I tried and apparently had the- adviser downloaded-already - also from Ms--
Really this question is academic as I sure like W xp Pro, and unless I could afford it in th enear future I doubt I wil be able to or need to go Vista
Effie c

effie c
05-02-2007, 03:26 PM
Hi YZHU,
I went to your suggested site and am informed I already have it - but it still required the key to carry on and use it
Any further comments-=-- very gladly accepted

and where do I find the clipboard
effie c

effie c
05-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Hi Smithie 38,
I must have missed your post -.nett framework is/was part of the download that triggered this thread
effie c

MistyCat
05-02-2007, 03:56 PM
Hi YZHU,
I went to your suggested site and am informed I already have it - but it still required the key to carry on and use it
Any further comments-=-- very gladly accepted

and where do I find the clipboard
effie c

effie c, when they say, "Use the Clipboard," they simply mean Copy the key text shown, then Paste it into the required place.

The usual "Highlight the text, Control-C" to Copy, then click where you want to put the text and use Control-V to Paste.

Cheers,
MistyCat

effie c
05-02-2007, 04:17 PM
Hi Mistycat,
Thank you !
Now - the window showed the key,and no where did it show where to post it before/after the "copy andpost to clip board"
but at least that is a starter
effie c

smithie 38
05-02-2007, 04:29 PM
Hi Effie.
When I downloaded the advisor through Firefox I got the request to instal .NET Framework. But the download took about 2 seconds flat.

However when I downloaded it through IE it took nearly 5 mins so that
includes the .NET Framework.

Cheers Smithie

effie c
05-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Hi Smithier 38,
I finally cracked it - I had to go to downloads and restart the install and click on "repair"
I have now got Vista adviser and it shows I can install /update etc - but I would have
Nortons compatibility problems, ( I assume Symantec will correct that and soon)but Vista has it's own antivirus ware
Nero image device might not work but Nero does
Windows Messenger has to be updated ( modified)
A better video Card is needed in the "business edition" I am told to install to match my XP Pro.
a DVD player is needed or get windows dvd CD s
my 512 mb ram will work but at least 1 gb is prefered
by and large this experiment has been encouraging but I might have to win Lotto before I justify it.
It appears that XP has all and then some of the "nescessities of life" - I think I will stay put
Thanks one and all
effie c