PDA

View Full Version : opening a microsoft word file in works and saving it as a word document help

lance4k
05-02-2007, 10:54 AM
If i write a document in microsoft word using paragraphs and borders,and then i open it on a pc with microsoft works,and then i make some changes and save it,when i open it with microsoft word,will any formatting be lost?

Billy T
05-02-2007, 11:56 AM
It depends!

If the ages and versions of Word and Works are similar then the exchange can be perfect, but I have seen a few problems when using older versions of Works. It is best to do it all in Word, or save in a common format like rtf on both computers and save as Word for the final version.

It certainly won't work if you try to use fancy formatting that is only found in Word, but since you are doing your changes in Works you may avoid that.

Always keep copies of each version, it will help you recover if the translation turns to custard.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

RealBigDog
05-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Better than either Works or Word is to switch to Open Office--free and excellent, and it will handle conversions back and forth between virtually all formats, word, excel, etc.

steelsporran
05-02-2007, 04:43 PM
Better than either Works or Word is to switch to Open Office--free and excellent, and it will handle conversions back and forth between virtually all formats, word, excel, etc.

Hear, Hear.
Never understood why MS made things so difficult, force of habit I suppose.

Thomas01
05-02-2007, 05:49 PM

Not really true. Like many people I use MSWorks because it is so simple and extremely practical. Open Office is too much like OFFICE - clever but too darn complicated. Neither Office or Open Office have a decent database function. As I have mentioned before I can write a database in MSWORKS for addresses etc in less than a minute easily. Open Office doesn't even have a database function. And yes I know Spreadsheets are very good but should NOT be used where a database is superior.
Tom