PDA

View Full Version : Who should be Telecom's new CEO? Vote and be in to win a $199

Chris Keall
05-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Logitech Quick Call USB speakerphone in our pcworld.co.nz (http://pcworld.co.nz) Quick Poll. Leave your comments below the Quick Poll to be in to win.

Our poll is not scientifc by any means, but leave an intelligent - or sufficiently cruel and witty - one-liner and it could find its way into the March edition of PC World.

qazwsxokmijn
05-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Me!!!

But in all seriousness, I know virtually nothing about these people....but I'm sure many of us here know what they're talking about and I hope our choices may make the new CEO of Telecom clean up the mess Gattung let loose and keep it clean.

racepics
05-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Offer it to David Cunliffe and see if he can complete whats been started...

johcar
05-02-2007, 01:07 PM
I reckon Metla should take up the challenge.

He seems to have far too much common sense for an ordinary bloke, calls a spade a spade (rather than a short-handled digging implement) and doesn't take any s*** from anyone. :D

Hugh
05-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Until they face stiff competition it will not matter who runs it as they will still keep ripping us off

drcspy
05-02-2007, 03:43 PM
i'd like to know EXACTLY what in their daily activities a CEO of telecom does in order to make it worth the companys while to pay them $3 million per year......how do they justify that ?.....$60,000 per WEEK ?.....thats about $1500 per hour.....that's serious money so i'd expect a very serious return on that

vote ? need to know more about the parameters/expectations of the job in order to name suitable candidates ....

rogerp
05-02-2007, 04:00 PM
Logitech Quick Call USB speakerphone in our pcworld.co.nz (http://pcworld.co.nz) Quick Poll. Leave your comments below the Quick Poll to be in to win.

Our poll is not scientifc by any means, but leave an intelligent - or sufficiently cruel and witty - one-liner and it could find its way into the March edition of PC World.

How about Prime Minister Helen Clark? She was reportedly green-eyed that Ms Gattang was earning a lot more than her, and she maybe up for a change in jobs and a new challenge.

Morgenmuffel
05-02-2007, 05:23 PM
Personally I'd go for the

David Russell of the consumers Institute, the guy just seems to have integrity and honesty in spades, and while Telecom is a monopoly there is the scope for it to be run in an ethical rather than mercenary way
Jason Gunn and Thingie and not just because Thingie looks better than Theresa Gattung in a business suit, but well Jase the Ace seems to be able to turn his hand to anything, i mean anyone who can get Rodney Hide to tango and keep a straight face must be a shoe in for a CEO
Mad Butcher, if for no other reason than to get rid of those touchy feely telecom ads as he'd probably make his own and of course he is moderately less annoying than the $10 text pratt, heck if you didn't get "Max" speed you might at least get a couple of Pork chops free
Others i thought of but dismissed for various reasons

Suzzane Paul - Couldn't face the ads
Geoff Palmer from PC World - I'd miss reading his blog
Bruce Buckman - I'm not sure giving him ultimate power is a good thing :eek:
Tana Umaga - while he carries of Handbag wearing better than Theresa , I just can't see him in the job

robsonde
05-02-2007, 06:50 PM
How about Prime Minister Helen Clark? She was reportedly green-eyed that Ms Gattang was earning a lot more than her, and she maybe up for a change in jobs and a new challenge.

Helen Clark would be very good....
experience in exceeding the speed limit.
good at leading a pack of sheep

or Don Brash?
knows about email security.
good money handling skills

qazwsxokmijn
05-02-2007, 07:04 PM
Don or Helen? I'm not sure they know jack about broadband?

sam m
05-02-2007, 07:50 PM
Didnt Annette say that she would do it for free? Just think of the savings to the shareholders not having to pay a CEO and the ads would be cheaper as well.

TideMan
05-02-2007, 07:52 PM
I vote for Toni Marsh, the weather woman on TV 3.
Like Theresa, she can tell bald-faced lies without batting an eyelid, and be entirely convincing in the process, but most important:
She's gorgeous.

beeswax34
05-02-2007, 10:22 PM

Yeah well its not like Telecom and Theresa know/knew anything about it either. How about Winston Peters? He'd definitely scare the pants off any Telecom employee/shareholder that din't anything he asked them too and pretty much no one would EVER dare to complain about him or his company.

Helen Clark would simply pass retrospective legislation an hour into the job that would make awful BB speed's mandatory and high prices the norm.

pctek
05-02-2007, 10:58 PM
Logitech Quick Call USB speakerphone $199
Er.......ripped off.........

Logitech QuickCall USB Speakerphone $167.63 PB Technologies

rogerp
05-02-2007, 11:43 PM

Honestly I don't think that matters. I doubt if Ms Gattang knew all that much either. I think her background was mainly in advertising. marketing and business.

rogerp
05-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Er.......ripped off.........

Logitech QuickCall USB Speakerphone $167.63 PB Technologies

Thats the difference between retail pricing and wholesale pricing. 199 would be the retail price, which is usually the price you pay if you go into a normal shop and buy it.

rogerp
06-02-2007, 12:51 AM
Helen Clark would be very good....
experience in exceeding the speed limit.
good at leading a pack of sheep

or Don Brash?
knows about email security.
good money handling skills

With Helen as CEO, there is not much chance in her exceeding the speed limit, at least not while she is on her home internet with our slow broadband speeds.

I wouldn't be surprised if she will be soon looking for a job either, as I doubt she will be standing for another term as PM.

radium
06-02-2007, 01:35 PM
I don't know who exactly but somebody that is willing to give us true unconstrained, unlimited broadband at the fastest speeds in the developed world. All at a low monthly cost.

hotkiwi
06-02-2007, 01:40 PM
I think the ideal candidate should be a high-flyer from Vodafone-UK. Not because I think an international candidate would be better than a Kiwi (the contrast is true), but some internal knowledge of the major competitor would be good. Lets face it, our very own Kiwi-telecom is in troubles because of stiff competition from overseas (Vodafone=UK, telstra, even worse=Ozzie).
So get a new, fresh face from Vodafone in and regain the market in our cool country for the Kiwi's.
Cheers
Johan

ughnz
06-02-2007, 04:15 PM
I do not think it will matter who gets it as the network has fallen apart and it will take 20 odd years to even start bringing it up to scratch. So the ideal person needs to be someone who sees past the current financial year and can oversee such a huge project.

Or Me, as after all the CEO is just a face for everybody to spit at while the real work is done by middle management, or civil servants, who after all run the company / country at the end of the day. :)

rogerp
06-02-2007, 09:50 PM
I think the ideal candidate should be a high-flyer from Vodafone-UK. Not because I think an international candidate would be better than a Kiwi (the contrast is true), but some internal knowledge of the major competitor would be good. Lets face it, our very own Kiwi-telecom is in troubles because of stiff competition from overseas (Vodafone=UK, telstra, even worse=Ozzie).
So get a new, fresh face from Vodafone in and regain the market in our cool country for the Kiwi's.
Cheers
Johan

I think they are looking at the NZer who was/is now head of vodafone in the UK I think it is. They are also looking at David Kirk who is head of Fairfax (The owner of this forum), from what I read in the paper. I think someone from the UK who has been involved with UKs unbundling would be an advantage, as it appears to have been quite well handled over their, and BT are now making lots of money.

EX-WESTY
06-02-2007, 11:19 PM
Spot the Dog would have been my 1st choice

EX-WESTY
06-02-2007, 11:21 PM
2nd choice is ME, 22 years + on the sharp end of the network and um yeah it needs some work :-(