Excellent post,I love all the detail.

pcuser42
05-02-2007, 08:27 AM
A good reason to switch to Windows: LEOPARD. :D

dolby digital
05-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Just don't buy it Jack.

It does look nice though :xmouth:

Actually, it should look good, it cost $US6 Billion to develop it...

Dannz
05-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Just don't buy it Jack.

I does look nice though :xmouth:

Actually, it should look good, it cost $US6 Billion to develop it...

$6 billion to add what Linux (XGL) and Mac have been doing for a long time.

Chilling_Silence
05-02-2007, 09:53 AM
1 word:
e17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZovBpvhZbZM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v38FnpII-l8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqfxJWHUrek

Or mayby XGL / Compiz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUSn-jBA3CE

MAC_H8ER
05-02-2007, 10:26 AM
i have tried various flavors of Linux and it is a solid operating system :thumbs: but the main reason i continue to use XP is Linux is a tad harder to set up and i haven't really put in the time to learn anything about Linux - but at least Linux users are quiet about it and don't ram their opinions down other peoples throats like 10 out of 10 mac users do - like the door knocking bible bashers ( i forget what they call them selves but i think the attitude is the same as mac users :mad:)

kjaada
05-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Being a tad harder,as u put it is why Linux is so safe.Keep a close watch as I believe all the hoo ha around Vista is an open invitation to hackers and while there have been a couple of minor things so far there will undoubtably be a major in the future.

fnphoto
05-02-2007, 12:08 PM
VISTA
Fine if you're a just a gamer but one reason I'll stick with windows in a business/prof. environment - compatability & support!

Metla
05-02-2007, 12:13 PM
The silly thing is if your capable of running Linux then your more then capable of running Windows with next to no effort put towards any extra precautions.

So, Thats what many people do, Hell, Keep up to date, run an AV and dont install crap and your sussed. No need to switch to linux and go thgrough the hard slog.

Those that can't stop themselves from installing Incedimail and programs that promise " free cash" or travel points, or smilies or whatever should just go buy a Mac.

pctek
05-02-2007, 12:27 PM
A good reason not to. Games.

Hhel
05-02-2007, 12:40 PM
A good reason not to. Games.

IMHO The only reason. For everything else -

Lima India November Uniform Xray

A computer troubleshooter at my previous place of employment reckons that Windows keeps him in work. "Linux would be too reliable".

See in this morning's Dominion Post that IRD is considering going Linux instead of changing from XP to Vista.:thumbs:

Jim

kjaada
05-02-2007, 12:59 PM
I can not go along with the compatability and other things.Linux is ahead of and not behind windows in 99.9% of things.Have you ever tried to read some Open Office docs in XP.No sweat tho reading all word and other MS docs in Open Office.Have u ever seen a request on any forum to get a linux user up and going after a virus or some hobo getting to a bank account.One of the greatest things with Linux is booting up and everything is the same as when you last shut down.

Metla
05-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Do you have any idea how much rampant damage would be done with 500 million people using Linux?, The great majority of software issues start off minor untill the user decides to have a crack at fixing it themselves.

Now lets see what damage could be done to peoples linux install with they zero comprehension of the command line paremeters they are pumping in.

I believe people fail to see the bigger picture when it comes to OS's, And that is 100's of milions of people fiddling with things they shouldn't be, or installing software that should be burned in hell.

Who here who uses Linux hasn't managed to munt an install because they decided to try something new?, I know I have, every time I have installed Linux as a matter of fact I have ended up playing with it untill its broken (if I could even get it to run in less then 78 billion steps on whatever hardware I had assigned to the task)

as for compatability, Open Office runs on Windows as well, so...w t f? Do you expect the OS itself to handle documents produced by a stand alone app?

Antmannz
05-02-2007, 05:28 PM
The biggest problem with Linux is patchy hardware support.
By and large Windows generally works.

Cicero
05-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Thank you Met for putting the argument in such a way that is impossible to argue with.

Hhel
05-02-2007, 09:19 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I found this on the Xandros Forums and thought it might be enjoyed by a few. Probably would have been better posted on 1/4/07!

http://www.linuxgenuineadvantage.org/

Jim

JJJJJ
05-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Do you have any idea how much rampant damage would be done with 500 million people using Linux?, The great majority of software issues start off minor untill the user decides to have a crack at fixing it themselves.

Now lets see what damage could be done to peoples linux install with they zero comprehension of the command line paremeters they are pumping in.

I believe people fail to see the bigger picture when it comes to OS's, And that is 100's of milions of people fiddling with things they shouldn't be, or installing software that should be burned in hell.

Who here who uses Linux hasn't managed to munt an install because they decided to try something new?, I know I have, every time I have installed Linux as a matter of fact I have ended up playing with it untill its broken (if I could even get it to run in less then 78 billion steps on whatever hardware I had assigned to the task)

as for compatability, Open Office runs on Windows as well, so...w t f? Do you expect the OS itself to handle documents produced by a stand alone app?

And how much trouble do you anticipate when everyone starts installing Vista?
Though I agree with your comments about Linux.
I have installed three different versions. One stayed on my computer for three days. The other two less.
But I'm a sucker for punishment:groan:

Erayd
05-02-2007, 09:45 PM
VISTA
Viruses
Intruders
Spyware
Trojans
Adware

Link to wallpaper here (http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=33897).

mikebartnz
05-02-2007, 09:50 PM
The biggest problem with Linux is patchy hardware support.
By and large Windows generally works.
I was reading somewhere lastnight how this guy did an install of Vista and Mepis on an Hp computer that was top of the line 6 months or so ago and he had less trouble with Linux than Vista. Here is the link (http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT9325931427.html)
We'll forget winmodems but the big problem with Linux at the moment is WiFi

Metla
05-02-2007, 10:00 PM
And how much trouble do you anticipate when everyone starts installing Vista?

No idea, but even Windows 95 is far easier to install then Linux, I consider myself quite able and Linux has thrown me for a loop on every occasion, I could sort it, but why bother?

Anyway, For the sake of long suffering Microsoft customers I do hope that MS have finally brought a worthwhile product to market, Though I doubt it somehow, Commercial interests (leaving doors open for "legitamate" spyware and advertising) will still be the main issue...well, the main issue along side all teh other main issues that come with Windows of any flavor (and I dont mean the system checking itself 30 times a second, That sounds like a piddly little service to me, who cares?, A Vista rig has to be a powerhouse anyway)

pctek
05-02-2007, 10:52 PM

Damn right.
Who has problems with Windows? The millions of home users who think they have bought something like a toaster. Plug it in and it goes. Nope, it requires careful use and occasional maintenance.

Most people using Linux are experienced people, as Metla says, let the pebkacs loose on Linux and watch the chaos.

I have a pebkac currently. Absolutely insists I come over for such things as her current problem of the too wide task bar. I've already told her what to do but she insists she can't.

2 days ago she was insisting I come and fix the router as Xtra had sent her a new one to solve the problem but she still couldn't get it to go.
After I insisted she ring them back and they sent a tech out to change the card in the exchange, all worked again.

Last week she wanted me to come over and fix her missing desktop icons, managed to get her to do that one herslef via phone help though.

I've variously had to show here where the naughty camera hides her photos, how to attach them into an email - becaue "incredimail stopped allowing it". Well, no it had stopped defaulting to browsing to her MyDocuments....

I can just imagine her on Linux.

Oh and she has done some Windows courses already.......

motorbyclist
05-02-2007, 11:40 PM
i have tried various flavors of Linux and it is a solid operating system :thumbs: but the main reason i continue to use XP is Linux is a tad harder to set up and i haven't really put in the time to learn anything about Linux - but at least Linux users are quiet about it and don't ram their opinions down other peoples throats like 10 out of 10 mac users do - like the door knocking bible bashers ( i forget what they call them selves but i think the attitude is the same as mac users :mad:)

totally agree

Fine if you're a just a gamer but one reason I'll stick with windows in a business/prof. environment - compatability & support!

gamers need not move to vista for atleast 2 years, as games wont be made for dx10 until a large portion of the market has it

Viruses
Intruders
Spyware
Trojans
Adware

you're probably right, but we don't know yet, and the same could be said for XP unless you actually have antivirus software etc

RealBigDog
06-02-2007, 12:05 AM
I've been fooling around with linux lately, trying different versions, and I've been impressed how easy they are to setup and how much hardware they correctly detect.

Linux boot cd's/dvd's where linux runs off the disk are the best because you can use them in almost all pc's and access the network, etc.

The only reason I don't switch totally to linux is the mmorpg's and other games I play, but if it were only office type tasks I were doing, I would definitely run linux along with Open Office.

Linux will install automatically, but if you want to cover security, etc., follow one of the "Perfect Setup" guides for the various flavors of linux at howtoforge.com

luvdoctor
06-02-2007, 01:26 AM
VISTAdid u mean to say steveballmer?

dolby digital
06-02-2007, 10:48 AM
did u mean to say steveballmer?
Steve who?

The "Linux is a virus" man.

Windows is a virus more like :lol:

kjaada
06-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Three points:
NOTHING goes on anyones Linux system unless the administrator gives it the OK
and password and that includes updates.If I have a problem I know it is because I did something wrong.
Over 70% of our servers are using Linux if they were all on "something else" it would be bad news.
MS now has a huge team working towards the next Windows release which windows people will be obliged to buy in ??? years but a bigger team of Linux people are working all the time on building a better system for tomorrow.

Cicero
06-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Three points:
NOTHING goes on anyones Linux system unless the administrator gives it the OK
and password and that includes updates.If I have a problem I know it is because I did something wrong.
Over 70% of our servers are using Linux if they were all on "something else" it would be bad news.
MS now has a huge team working towards the next Windows release which windows people will be obliged to buy in ??? years but a bigger team of Linux people are working all the time on building a better system for tomorrow.
Keep up the good work,when it's easier and better than windows,we will all join you.
Meantime we are not holding our breath.

motorbyclist
06-02-2007, 06:06 PM
problem is all those linux people aren't working on the same thing, they are working on linux but on individual, different versions, so despite co-operation between groups things aren't moving as fast as they should....

on the other hand, it does give users a wide (if not too wide) range of versions to choose from which they like best, and are allowed to modify it in any way they feel neccessary

also, having multiple different versions, all free, allows for a sort of evolution where the better versions become mainstream and poorer versions disappear. windows and mac cannot offer this.

dolby digital
06-02-2007, 11:02 PM
Keep up the good work,when it's easier and better than windows,we will all join you.
Meantime we are not holding our breath.
Easier AND better don't necessarily go together. Linux is BETTER than Windows because its not owned by a company which will shutdown your OS if it THINKS its not a valid copy. :yuck:

motorbyclist
06-02-2007, 11:20 PM
Easier AND better don't necessarily go together. Linux is BETTER than Windows because its not owned by a company which will shutdown your OS if it THINKS its not a valid copy. :yuck:

yet another reason to pirate it, really

hell, even if you did buy it, getting a cracked version may not be such a bad idea, and i hear there is already one available

Metla
06-02-2007, 11:28 PM
I haven't found one yet, But I have barely looked.

Sweep
06-02-2007, 11:42 PM
We all know that Jack can run FS9 and FlightSim X with all addons under Linux on the system he has.

I would think Jack could.

Maybe I made an assumption?

"And how much trouble do you anticipate when everyone starts installing Vista?
Though I agree with your comments about Linux.
I have installed three different versions. One stayed on my computer for three days. The other two less.
But I'm a sucker for punishment:groan:"

Also:-

"Of course it all depends on what you mean by "better" and "faster".
I have no iterest in the AMD v Intel speed war.
I have no interest in benchmarks based on business programs or on specific games.
My interest is 90% based on fs9 and FS X. Both programs were designed for single core cpu's. Of course they will run quite well on dual core, even if they can not use the cpu's full capacity."

Possibly JJJJJ has got his 90% interest running on a single core CPU under Linux. Personally I would like to know how this was done. Oh and which distro was used?

duckgoesoink
06-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Linux is lovely if you have the time and patience to learn to use it properly.

nb: Open Office does sometimes display Microsoft Office documents rather differently..which can be a problem.. Also, some of the linux-equivalent programs like Gimp and Blender are not QUITE at the same level as the Windows and Mac commercial softwares..(although they are very powerful)