PDA

View Full Version : System Restore

Gordon62
04-02-2007, 05:43 PM
I have read a number of pro's and con's regarding turning off or leaving "System" Restore" functional. From memory Norton and others (including NetGuide I believe) suggests you turn it off as any nasties will just resurrect themselves when you go back to a restore point for any reason- which appears to be logical. Any comments as to whether it should be left on or turned off? On the assumption that you had to return the computer to it's "normal" state what other function is available in XP home edition.
Regards Gordon.

Speedy Gonzales
04-02-2007, 05:51 PM
I think you're getting confused with SR and the restore function on PC's you buy. Which can either be on a partition or cd or something. Thats what u use to restore a computer to its original condition/state.

System restore some drivers or programs do use it, but besides that you're right, the only thing it does is hide trojans / malware etc. Then you have to disable SR anyway, and delete the files in the folder it uses in safe mode.

And the system restore points get deleted.

Unless u have a PC with a partition on it (if u brought it), there most probably isn't any other way to restore a pc back to its original state.

Only way to restore it is to format it. Either way you'll have to install all of the updates again after.

pctek
04-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Yes it is likely to restore malware.

Its handy I guess if you do need to "undo" after a failed driver install or some such.

Personally I think its a bloated hog and I prefer to use Ghost.

jebby
04-02-2007, 07:39 PM
IMHO leave it on, it has saved my bacon a number of times, the last about 10mins. ago after 5 Microsoft security updates for "Office" where installed & stuffed things up. :thumbs:

stu161204
04-02-2007, 08:26 PM
I agree with jebby here, Windows System Restore has also saved my bacon a number of times, so if I was you I would keep in on.

johcar
05-02-2007, 09:37 AM
I agree with jebby here, Windows System Restore has also saved my bacon a number of times, so if I was you I would keep in on.Ditto for me...